SOURCES: Coaching rumors Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
oxrageous;n115528 said:
You wouldn't believe me if said the sky was blue.

I think those that don't want Freeze are going to be disappointed. I'm saying 80% he's the guy.

You would rather have Stoops though right? I would.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
oxrageous;n115674 said:
Yes I would. Big time.

Thought so. I hope there is some truth to that article. We can meet up in Gville and carry him on our shoulders....

VirginiaGator

VA to RI to FL
Jul 9, 2014

beaniemonk

Cubicle Gangster
Nov 24, 2014
OK, a couple more thoughts on the Jay Gruden scenario before I let it go (I realize this made it's rounds, but I just now had time to come back)...

Regardless of what we think, he is exactly who Foley is looking for in terms of experience, age, and offensive background. And he's the quintessential Foley hire -- while everyone is zigging between the usual names, he's a zag that nobody would see coming. He's actually a very highly-regarded coach, interviewed or asked to be interviewed by no less than 7 NFL teams since 2011 for a head coaching position.

I think it's an over-generalization to say he's an NFL guy, an argument which seems based partially on his brother, who appears perfectly content in a booth instead of on the sidelines. Circumstances involving AFL bankruptcy is what ended his tenure with the Predators. It’s just as likely he wants to be a head coach -- ideally in Florida -- more.

Which leads me to this… I think he’s exactly the kind of guy that would stick around if afforded the opportunity, if you're willing to speculate on how much his experience in Washington has soured him -- dealing with politics and overrated prima donna franchise players. There’s a reason many coaches – great coaches even – test the waters in the NFL only to leave shortly thereafter.

I also respectfully but totally disagree on his ability to attract recruits. I haven’t personally asked any high school players for their opinion, LOL, but I think it’s on par with most of the names being mentioned, aside from Stoops or the pipe dreams like Kelly and Harbaugh.

I’d be perfectly happy with Stoops, or to a lesser extent Freeze, but I’m just not as excited about those names as everyone else appears to be. Personally, Jay feels like the home-run hire we don’t think is out there, and I know I'm in the minority here.

I do think concern about his lack of college coaching experience is 100% legitimate, and may be the biggest knock against him. I think it’s very likely we won’t hire him, but will find out later he was much more of a serious candidate than we knew at the time.

beaniemonk

Cubicle Gangster
Nov 24, 2014
P.S. -> I put precisely 0 stock into what Neil Shulman is saying. I think he's getting his information from the same rumors that everyone else is.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Fsu fans would bet ****ting their pants if we got stoops

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
If Freeze and Stoops are both viable options we should be able to look forward to the offseason.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Nice analysis on Jay Gruden. There's absolutely no chance he's even spoken to, but it's nice to throw another name out to extend the conversation.

Now get an avatar beanie before I have to give you one.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
If it is Stoops, I imagine Foley may have a talk with him. Don't think the DGB and Joe Mixon crap will fly here.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Wtf has Jay gruden done in the nfl?

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n115736 said:
Originally posted by t-gator View Post
Wtf has Jay gruden done in the nfl?

Your mom?

t-gator's Mom is in the NFL... impressive

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Hope the Stoops rumors are true. Might hurt recuiting if he isnt hired until after their bowl game. But just his name could be a big boost until then.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n115032 said:
Until he says no publicly or someone else is hired, I will be voicing my support for him to be the next coach. Feel free to keep your dickbeaters off of your keyboard if you don't like it.

Fans like you publicly pining for coaches that are in no way realistic candidates for our job make our fan base look as pathetic as the Chuggers with their Gruden delusions.

Let's review one more time:
  1. By making it to the NFL and HAVING SUCCESS there, Chip Kelly has almost reached the pinnacle of his profession. All that is left is some playoff success and winning a Super Bowl.
  2. Coaches, by their very nature a competitive lot, are unlikely to leave a higher level of their profession WHERE THEY ARE HAVING SUCCESS, to compete at a lower level, regardless of how great we think the job is.
  3. All of the coaches that have been cited as leaving the NFL to return to college, including SOS, Saban, Petrino - hell, even Lou Holtz, WERE NOT SUCCESSFUL in the NFL.
  4. Another oft-cited example - Pete Carroll - did return to college after a mediocre run in the NFL - then, wait for it.....scooted back to the NFL at the first available opportunity.
  5. Kelly left Oregon under a cloud of recruiting, um, "suspicion" is probably the best word. I've read he might have issues with the NCAA if he wanted to return and even if that is not the case, his issues probably do not tick the "character box" next to his name on Foley's list.
You're right, we can all voice support for whichever prospective candidate tickles our fancy - but the Kelly delusions make us look almost as silly as some of our rivals.

And I'll thank you to leave my "dickbeaters" alone.
​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.