SOURCES: Coaching rumors Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

GatorStompin'

Gator Grad '14
Nov 25, 2014
I heard Muschamp burned some bridges after leaving Auburn, TIFWIW. Also, wouldn't it be like starting all over again? On the flip side, he would have the chance to learn from an offensive guru (if he's smart) and use that as leverage into his next head coaching gig. Who knows… When Zook got canned I had no reservations about his exit. With Muschamp--and don't get it twisted, he had to go because of what he was unable to do--I just feel like he will eventually put all the pieces together and be an excellent head coach someday. And clearly he is an elite DC that could will cause us headaches if he lands an SEC gig.

GatorStompin'

Gator Grad '14
Nov 25, 2014
As far as our next coach goes, I'd love it to be Freeze or Stoops. But when it comes down to it, I don't see either being "the guy" we get. I really hope I'm wrong. :eek:hnoes:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
No more defensive head coaches. We need an offensive guy. That Auburn-Bama game tells you all you need to know where the game is headed even here in the SEC.

Trust in Foley?

DeltaGlamma

Born a Gator
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
GatorStompin';n119819 said:
As far as our next coach goes, I'd love it to be Freeze or Stoops. But when it comes down to it, I don't see either being "the guy" we get. I really hope I'm wrong. :eek:hnoes:

This is exactly how I feel/think. I bet Foley surprises us yet again and NO, I DO NOT TRUST HIM. I hope I am very very wrong.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Stoops and Patterson are both defensive guys..... Why would you not want them?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Slevin;n119840 said:
Stoops and Patterson are both defensive guys..... Why would you not want them?

So is Saban. They wouldn't want him either.

westflgator

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Patterson and Freeze are my top two that I think we might actually have a shot of landing.

FREEZE

Pros
  1. Freeze is a proven recruiting machine.
  2. He has has been pretty successful at bringing the bottom dweller of the SEC to a level in which they can compete with the top teams in the SEC in a short period of time. (which is much harder than turning around a traditional power that has taken a step back).
  3. SEC recruiting ties
  4. Offensive background
  5. Seems to be able to develop talent, which is evidenced by being able to be competitive with inferior talent (although he has recruited very well the last couple of years and is getting closer to the the competition talent wise).
  6. High character guy
Cons
  1. Hasn't been a head coach for very long
PATTERSON

Pros
  1. Has consistently put competitive teams on the field over a long period of time (with the exception of a few bad years).
  2. Seems to be able to develop talent, which is evidenced by consistently beating teams with much better talent.
  3. High character guy
  4. Had productive offenses as a HC.
Cons
  1. Plays in the Big 12 (although most of the "top candidates" aren't in the SEC either).
  2. Plays a 4-2-5 base defense (don't think that would work well in the SEC).
  3. Defensive background (but has been productive on the other side of the ball).

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
westflgator;n119878 said:
Patterson and Freeze are my top two that I think we might actually have a shot of landing
[/LIST]
PATTERSON

Pros
  1. Has consistently put competitive teams on the field over a long period of time (with the exception of a few bad years).
  2. Seems to be able to develop talent, which is evidenced by consistently beating teams with much better talent.
  3. High character guy
Cons
  1. Plays in the Big 12 (although most of the "top candidates" aren't in the SEC either).
  3. Defensive background (but has been productive on the other side of the ball).

We are in nickel most of the time. Bama, LSU and Arky are the only teams you play much base against

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Why does everyone think that Muschamp is going to become a DC for the SEC again? And without sitting out one season?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
westflgator;n119878 said:
Patterson and Freeze are my top two that I think we might actually have a shot of landing.

FREEZE

Pros
  1. Freeze is a proven recruiting machine.
  2. He has has been pretty successful at bringing the bottom dweller of the SEC to a level in which they can compete with the top teams in the SEC in a short period of time. (which is much harder than turning around a traditional power that has taken a step back).
  3. SEC recruiting ties
  4. Offensive background
  5. Seems to be able to develop talent, which is evidenced by being able to be competitive with inferior talent (although he has recruited very well the last couple of years and is getting closer to the the competition talent wise).
  6. High character guy
Cons
  1. Hasn't been a head coach for very long
PATTERSON

Pros
  3. High character guy
Cons

Patterson ain't gonna leave his team when they're heading to the playoffs

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n119893 said:
Why does everyone think that Muschamp is going to become a DC for the SEC again? And without sitting out one season?

Why would he sit out a season when presumably he'll have teams in a bidding war for him as DC?

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
With as poor as some of the defenses were across the SEC this year, If the guy wants to be a DC in the league next year he'll probably have the opportunity.

westflgator

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n119894 said:
Patterson ain't gonna leave his team when they're heading to the playoffs

You may very well be right, my guess is that we have a better chance at Freeze. However, he would get a huge pay raise coming to UF. To say he ain't leaving would be pure speculation. We have no idea what is going on in his life that might cause him to be ready to make a change and take on a new challenge. I do agree having a playoff gives a team like TCU a much better chance for a shot at a championship than they have had in a long, long, time. (I believe TCU has one championship in the past)

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n119893 said:

Because he's already said he wants to work next year or atleast that's what was reported

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@onlygators: RT @TravHaneyESPN: I've been told there's mutual interest between Malzahn & Muschamp. Would be a formidable pair on respective sides of ball

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
8:25 p.m. – Pat Forde of Yahoo! Sports, citing multiple sources, reports that Colorado State’s Jim McElwain “has emerged as a leading candidate for the Florida vacancy.” Per Forde, “Information has been gathered on McElwain by Florida officials since the school announced two weeks ago that Will Muschamp would not return as coach, sources said. It is unclear how many other candidates may be involved. Sources said Mississippi coach Hugh Freeze was among those on Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley’s radar, but McElwain’s name may be at the top of the list.”

Read more: http://www.onlygators.com/florida-ga...#ixzz3KbbF6Bgp
ONLY GATORS Get Out Alive

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Bullag8r;n119939 said:
8:25 p.m. – Pat Forde of Yahoo! Sports, citing multiple sources, reports that Colorado State’s Jim McElwain “has emerged as a leading candidate for the Florida vacancy.” Per Forde, “Information has been gathered on McElwain by Florida officials since the school announced two weeks ago that Will Muschamp would not return as coach, sources said. It is unclear how many other candidates may be involved. Sources said Mississippi coach Hugh Freeze was among those on Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley’s radar, but McElwain’s name may be at the top of the list.”

Read more: http://www.onlygators.com/florida-ga...#ixzz3KbbF6Bgp
ONLY GATORS Get Out Alive

I just don't see Foley paying that 7.5 million dollar buyout.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Was checking in to report the McElwain news as well. "Emerging as a leading candidate," interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator