Spurrier, Meyer, Mullen? How Gators’ new coach resembles past national champions

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Meyer used the slot to run more than catch passes. Rainey played the position the next two seasons after Harvin left and touched the ball far more often than did James. Regardless, neither was able to fill Harvin's shoes.

If you're going to try and compare recruiting athletes at Mississippi State to Florida or Ohio State, you'll come up with the same conclusion every time.

Actually Burton was the closest to the running/reception mix, but no one approached Harvin as a runner and receiving threat in touches or production. Ever. Maybe Wes Chandler, but I’m guessing those stats are too old to mine unless you’ve got your old media guides handy. Nat Moore could have but I don’t remember him well enough as a Gator to know how much they threw to him. (You probably do. He apparently showed enough for the Dolphins to draft him - a RB - as a WR.)

Likewise, no Gator approaches Tebow as a runner+passer. Few in college history do and I’d take him over any of them.

Those guys were freak shows and it was an abundance of riches to have them at the same time. Meyer talked a lot about the checkers. It took those guys to beat Bradford+Murray+Gresham etc.

Mullen needs that, too. They all do. We’ve got catching up to do.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So we are just waiting for the next Percy to fix the offense again?

I love this game.
You'll have to ask Itraz. He's the one making the argument it's one dimensional.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Maybe. He appears to have high expectations and he has to know it will take more scheming and planning and hopefully tweaking and improving the offense to be able to contend. Lets hope he knows how to bring back some fun in the swamp. Maybe he will turn up the passing game...right now this is wishful thinking but he has to do something different than he has been doing.
If we have the same head coach and he brought all the same asst coaches why would you expect a new offense? We know what we will get scheme-wise. All we can do is hope better players will make it more effective.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
If we have the same head coach and he brought all the same asst coaches why would you expect a new offense? We know what we will get scheme-wise. All we can do is hope better players will make it more effective.

I dont. I just hope he will.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I dont. I just hope he will.
I wish he would have done everything exactly the same as he has since he was hired, except he would have hired an actual offensive coordinator. I'd like to see him recognize that he has to take on more of a CEO role, and at the same time bring in some fresh offensive ideas to take the program to the championship level everyone expects. Had he done that I would be a lot more encouraged, but it is what it is. At least MacNuss is long gone.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mulz believes in himself, his staff and especially in the opportunity that's been presented -- to recruit and lead Florida over the next several years.

There's no need to reinvent the wheel in his mind.

If he's successful in getting his players to buy in and work harder than they've been accustomed, who knows? We could be in for some good times.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's quarterback-centric. That's what makes it feel one dimensional.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So the quarterback gets more touches. Didn't hurt Florida in 2008 or Auburn a few years later. Surround the guy with playmakers on offense and defense.

I have no problem with that tack. You shouldn't either if we win.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Seriously, who gives a phuck? You're obsessing over appearances. Chill. Prescott was a power runner in 2014 and a very effective passer in 2015.

Jones could very well be used differently as a runner. I'm confident Mullen will use him in a way that gets the most out of his skillset.

I'm also hoping Mullen can help us get our defensive legs back so we don't have to be over reliant on the offense. You don't have to have a top 10 offense to win a national championship.

And if he doesn't? We go back to being Gatorchatter.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Id like to see Gator football again.

I see some of you will be happy with Ga Southern again.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Id like to see Gator football again.

I see some of you will be happy with Ga Southern again.
I think you confused someone's comment about being south of Georgia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator