Sully is staying!

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Prior to 2006 everybody thought Billy Donovan couldn't win a title. Fortunately we didn't fire him.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is something UGA asked themselves for over a decade of the Richt era. Unfortunately for us, they eventually made the right choice to move on.
The difference is that Richt couldn't beat his rivals, Sully has excelled in this category.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Also, Richt didnt win squat for SEC championships. Sully has been quite successful at winning SEC championships and getting us to the WS. Completely different ball game in my opinion

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Okay, different question. Mike Martin has been overwhelmingly successful but hasn't yet been able to win a single championship in decades. If you were a fan of that team :ugh:, would you want to move on from him at this point?

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
For me, I would be comfortable with Martin given the path to win a championship and how it can really be variable. But he has consistently shown high quality product on the field. The noles obviously feel the same way, as they are lining up his son to take over.

Gatorhunter

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Okay, different question. Mike Martin has been overwhelmingly successful but hasn't yet been able to win a single championship in decades. If you were a fan of that team :ugh:, would you want to move on from him at this point?

If I were one of those people...At this point, yes but only because he is old and is getting out recruited by Sully. In his prime when he was winning a ton of games and making it to Omaha every year, No

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014

Yes. And as a Gator fan, Martin and FSU are what I don't want our program to become, hence my opinion about Sully's need to win it all rather than just make it to the CWS consistently only to get ousted by teams of lesser talent.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Look, if you aren't excited about getting to Omaha regularly, and reward you coach for said activity, then you obviously don't know anything about baseball. Sully is the best out there and there's not a single person who could guarantee you a better result. Period.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The question has been asked, but not yet answered...if you don't think O'Sullivan has what it takes to eventually manage us to a CWS crown, who does?

I'm beginning to think that the two real issues are that some who pop off regularly about "settling for mediocrity" don't know as much about the dynamics of managing and playing baseball as they'd have us think and that b!tching about another year without winning it all is what is most important. No, I don't want a Mike Martin (who did us and their other rivals a favor when he fired his best successor trying to feather the nest for Mike Jr.), but IMO O'Sullivan is still pretty young in the role and his best days are likely ahead of him. And since when did it become mediocre to consistently compete for the conference and national titles, in the last decade no less?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Cover's right. a baseball game can be fickle on any day. Sully does need to get us a couple of
HR hitters. HRs are the great equalizers ... and can be disruptive of what should really be.
This #1 Gator team doesn't have a HR hitter in the top 50 and probably not in the top 75.
Sully gets the best pitchers. Sully's learning curve right now should lead him to scouting
purposely for a few heavy hitters.

Last edited:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sully does need to get us a couple of
HR hitters. HRs are the great equalizers ... and can be disruptive of what should really be.
No disagreement there, Rog. I would like to see a little more power and/or those clutch guys that find a way to get a hit when you absolutely have to have it. Trouble is, most of those guys never make it to college. Got to find the one's who can be developed the quickest I guess.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I find it hard to complain with being in the hunt for a title every year. You can't win the title if you aren't getting to Omaha. In baseball (like basketball) sometimes a guy or team can just get hot. A pitcher can just have a great day or hitters go into slumps. When you are playing 1 game and not a series it leaves a lot more room for those crazy variables where a guy can go off on one night.

I do agree we need more hitters and especially HR hitters. It seems like there are too many times where our bats go silent and we can't get the clutch hit.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The question has been asked, but not yet answered...if you don't think O'Sullivan has what it takes to eventually manage us to a CWS crown, who does?

I'm beginning to think that the two real issues are that some who pop off regularly about "settling for mediocrity" don't know as much about the dynamics of managing and playing baseball as they'd have us think and that b!tching about another year without winning it all is what is most important. No, I don't want a Mike Martin (who did us and their other rivals a favor when he fired his best successor trying to feather the nest for Mike Jr.), but IMO O'Sullivan is still pretty young in the role and his best days are likely ahead of him. And since when did it become mediocre to consistently compete for the conference and national titles, in the last decade no less?
That's what I'd like to hear...who are they going to get any better? If someone could guarantee us annual trips to Omaha coming home with the hardware, I might be persuaded. Like Phan has said repeatedly, you have to get there to even have a chance and he basically puts us in the Elite 8 every year. I still have faith that he'll bring home a NC...which NO ONE HAS EVER BEEN ABLE TO DO BEFORE. I swear we have some of the worst entitlement mentality fans in the country.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Christ on a pony. If I could go five minutes without someone arrogantly popping off about our supposed "entitlement mentality", I'd be a much happier man.

If you don't like our fans, then go find another team that has fans that suit you better.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Christ on a pony. If I could go five minutes without someone arrogantly popping off about our supposed "entitlement mentality", I'd be a much happier man.
I know you're pretty far to the right, so that probably cut fairly deep. :lol:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
We've hit a rough patch it seems.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There is gonna be ebb and flows in the baseball season just like any sport. We lost soooo much talent in the MLB Draft so we could very well lose early in the tourney...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.