The Athletic picks UF to go 3-9, dead last in the SEC East; have Napier on the hot seat

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
This is getting ridiculous. We're going to be twice as bad as last season? Please tell me the players are seeing this stuff.

Image-22.jpg

Image-1-11.jpg

Discuss.
Alright at the risk of getting a preseason vacation, would you want to see Billy get run out on a rail if this actually did happen?

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Alright at the risk of getting a preseason vacation, would you want to see Billy get run out on a rail if this actually did happen?
If he goes 3-9 in year two, there would be very little reason to keep him. Players would go to the portal and recruiting would go tits up.

I don't think it happens... Am expecting 6-8 wins.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Was this back when you were dating the coke whore? Just trying to keep the timeline up to date.

It was 2003, so yes. But for the time being, between my locations and line of work, let’s just assume every girl I dated until 2008 did cocaine.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
... if the recruiting class collapses too?
Yes. Along with the AD.

I really don't see it happening though.

But ...

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
We have a tough schedule; but the reason for the gloom and doom is pretty much due to no one in the media being convinced that Mertz is a capable QB, especially after the spring game.

If Mertz has improved, then a lot of sports writers are going to have egg on their face because we have pretty darn good skill position players at RB and WR.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018

This is a tough one--on one hand, let's face it: Mullen left us with gaping holes in a lot of areas and Napier is cleaning them up with a disciplined, focused approach that prioritizes sustained success and long-term program building over quick fixes that build compounding problems. But going 3-9 is falling well short of the standards we have here and even Napier would tell you that.

To best answer the question: it would depend on how we look in the games and also if he can hold onto the recruiting class. If Napier is losing close games with a few unlucky bounces here and there--but the team is fighting for him and the freshman are improving over the course of the year, that's one thing. If we're getting blown out and Napier is a key factor in the losses (poor play calls, bad clock management, Austin being woefully out of his depth as a DC, etc.), then I think that changes things and we can question whether he's the guy.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
The Athletic dropped their Florida beat writer and has had little to nothing positive to say about Florida. Perhaps some of that is deserved, but it's become a group think of only doom. It feels like home in a way.

Today's latest is having Mertz listed as the 84th most hyped transfer. f$u has 5 guys on the listed (3 in the top 20). Mertz is our only transfer listed.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
I could see a 3-9 record with a few bad bounces this year, but let's face it, AR was so inconsistent last year he alone was responsible for 2/3 of the losses. I can't think of a game where he just showed up and dominated. He had some big time highlight reel stuff against Utah, but we need a last second goal line interception to win that game.
Here in lies the rub. If you don't have a dynamic offense, small mistakes are multiplied into close losses. Call them bad bounces or whatever.

Unless we can absolutely control the other team's offense, at some point, we have to be able to outscore the other team in a shoot out. CFB is now a shoot out proposition (just ask Saban), so the base offense has to be dynamic. I like all that CBN has done to get the program back on track for success, but his offensive philosophy, as shown from his prior HC position, does not scream "dynamic" in any way.

So here's to hoping for a dominant defense and enough scoring to win games!

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The Athletic dropped their Florida beat writer and has had little to nothing positive to say about Florida. Perhaps some of that is deserved, but it's become a group think of only doom. It feels like home in a way.

Today's latest is having Mertz listed as the 84th most hyped transfer. f$u has 5 guys on the listed (3 in the top 20). Mertz is our only transfer listed.

The Athletic is losing subscribers rapidly these days since Andy Staples left a month or so ago and they have become that petulant teenager who desperately needs attention.
My subscription expires in a couple of months and I will not be renewing either. If I want to read articles from low information writers attempting to goad me into something I would read the Gainesville Sun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.