The death of a program

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Bro...didn't you know that stars don't matter and Mac discovers all the diamonds in the ruff and develops them into 5 stars? :lol:
The evidence is right before my eyes every week.

To think these kids were going to FIU before we snatch them away. What a magician we have.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Law, you know I love you, but, jeez, how can you defend Brohm's Purdue offense at #76.

Get on the Charlie train.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
The evidence is right before my eyes every week.

To think these kids were going to FIU before we snatch them away. What a magician we have.
Whenever UGA smokes our ass by 40 on the 28th i'm pretty sure everyone else will finally figure it out!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And if he's willing to hand off to a good OC?
Give it up. He was a massive disaster.

His resume says "I beat Muschump" and nothing more.

Im proud of him. He always wanted to be HBC somewhere. Texass made him rich and he is right where he should be.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Give it up. He was a massive disaster.

His resume says "I beat Muschump" and nothing more.

Im proud of him. He always wanted to be HBC somewhere. Texass made him rich and he is right where he should be.

Read between the lines. He was an ill fit at Texas for lots of reasons, many of which will cause this thread to move over to the PF. He's recruiting well and playing well on Florida soil with an offensive coordinator who lit it up at Tulsa in 2015 and whose Texas offense finished #37 in 2016.

Do you have any doubt over his ability to assemble a Florida defense that could stop people? Do you have any doubt over his ability to recruit?

I understand your bias against guys who come in with a resume on defense. Continue to watch what's going on in Tampa. Inferior schedule but it's all to scale. Same with Brohm.

Love ya, bro, and you know it.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Read between the lines. He was an ill fit at Texas for lots of reasons, ...
Do you have any doubt over his ability to assemble a Florida defense that could stop people? Do you have any doubt over his ability to recruit?

I understand your bias against guys who come in with a resume on defense. Continue to watch what's going on in Tampa. Inferior schedule but it's all to scale. Same with Brohm.

Love ya, bro, and you know it.
He was an ill fit at Louisville. Lost to Marshall while he was there in one of his best seasons.

As for whether he would make a great defense, I don't know. He has been hit or miss through the years. Some good defenses. Some bad. His best years were with Creyer, played much more aggressively. Many say that Maddox was the actual play caller and CS was the eyes in the box. I just don't know. He has played a lot of soft 4-3 cover 2 through the years. Very much like Randy Shannon.

Like I said, I like CS. Love the dude. He is a helluva guy and a Gator IMO (adopted).

Yes, you know my preference for offense for a clear reason. Could CS be successful with the right OC? of course. Then what happens with that OC? Promoted immediately. Hell. we have seen mediocre OCs get an HC job. Then we are stuck looking again every year.... until we hire a shytty one then we are stuck with him for 2-3 years.

Good DCs are a dime a dozen.

Would I take him over Mullett or some of the other crazy names I've seen here? Of course. Would I root for him and pray for the best? Of course. Would he be one of my top 50? Not even close.

Hell I'd take Skip Holtz first. He has been a consistent performer at La Tech, surprisingly.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He was an ill fit at Louisville. Lost to Marshall while he was there in one of his best seasons.

As for whether he would make a great defense, I don't know. He has been hit or miss through the years. Some good defenses. Some bad. His best years were with Creyer, played much more aggressively. Many say that Maddox was the actual play caller and CS was the eyes in the box. I just don't know. He has played a lot of soft 4-3 cover 2 through the years. Very much like Randy Shannon.

Like I said, I like CS. Love the dude. He is a helluva guy and a Gator IMO (adopted).

Yes, you know my preference for offense for a clear reason. Could CS be successful with the right OC? of course. Then what happens with that OC? Promoted immediately. Hell. we have seen mediocre OCs get an HC job. Then we are stuck looking again every year.... until we hire a shytty one then we are stuck with him for 2-3 years.

Good DCs are a dime a dozen.

Would I take him over Mullett or some of the other crazy names I've seen here? Of course. Would I root for him and pray for the best? Of course. Would he be one of my top 50? Not even close.

Hell I'd take Skip Holtz first. He has been a consistent performer at La Tech, surprisingly.

He's running a 3-3-5 at USF, which allows the linebackers to flip from coverage to blitzing. That places additional responsibility on the three rushing linemen and secondary. The nose guy is critical to creating disruption.

In other words, you need an athletic defense. Considering the guys we are able to recruit, esp Strong, who knows South Florida like no one else, I see it as a positive.

I'd love to see this guy brought home. I personally think it'd be a home run hire.

BTW, USF defense at #11 to go with its #10 offense. Not too shabby.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He's running a 3-3-5 at USF, which allows the linebackers to flip from coverage to blitzing. That places additional responsibility on the three rushing linemen and secondary. The nose guy is critical to creating disruption.
A 3-3-5 is a disaster in the SEC. Disaster. Big 12 or Little League defense.

Well, it might be a good defense vs. aTm or Mizzu. But those are Big 12 teams.

Rodriguez and WVU are big on the 3-3-5. See what it looks like in Big 10? Hell Strong wasn't even good on defense at Texass.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
A 3-3-5 is a disaster in the SEC. Disaster. Big 12 or Little League defense.

Well, it might be a good defense vs. aTm or Mizzu. But those are Big 12 teams.

Rodriguez and WVU are big on the 3-3-5. See what it looks like in Big 10? Hell Strong wasn't even good on defense at Texass.

You're missing the point. He's adaptive to his talent. He ran a cover 2 at Florida because he had the personnel to run it, esp at the corners, and it excelled. He's running a 3-3-5 at USF because it's more of an attacking defense. It fits better.

There's no way you can discount this guy's ability to recruit or coach defense. You can't. You're flailing in the wind.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You're missing the point. He's adaptive to his talent. He ran a cover 2 at Florida because he had the personnel to run it, esp at the corners, and it excelled. He's running a 3-3-5 at USF because it's more of an attacking defense. It fits better.

There's no way you can discount this guy's ability to recruit or coach defense. You can't. You're flailing in the wind.
He ran a cover 2 under Zook and it didn't excel. He ran a lot of man 1 blitzes with Creyer. Back to a mostly cover 2 at Louisiville and I think 3-3-5 at Texass. His defense was ass at Texass. At Louisville, mediocre. Many bad losses, including vs Cusa teams.

3-3-5 is not an attacking defense. It's a gimmick defense. It does provide the advantage that most teams need to change their scheme because the blocking is different vs a 3-3-5 instead of a normal 3 or 4 man front.

Playing a base nickel never makes sense unless you plan on being ahead or otherwise aren't afraid of their rushing game. Six in the box vs. SEC.

In the SEC 12 of the 14 teams do nothing but run the ball. You'd be better off playing a middle school 5-2 or even a 6-2.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014

My God man did you see what he just did to Texas/ Yes that Texas, ya know the Top 5 historical CFB program Texas....You almost couldn't f vck that up that bad if you tried....Bob Davie and Ty Willingham were the only 2 I can remember in damned near 50 years of watching CFB who did anything close to that......

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He ran a cover 2 under Zook and it didn't excel. He ran a lot of man 1 blitzes with Creyer. Back to a mostly cover 2 at Louisiville and I think 3-3-5 at Texass. His defense was ass at Texass. At Louisville, mediocre. Many bad losses, including vs Cusa teams.

3-3-5 is not an attacking defense. It's a gimmick defense. It does provide the advantage that most teams need to change their scheme because the blocking is different vs a 3-3-5 instead of a normal 3 or 4 man front.

Playing a base nickel never makes sense unless you plan on being ahead or otherwise aren't afraid of their rushing game. Six in the box vs. SEC.

In the SEC 12 of the 14 teams do nothing but run the ball. You'd be better off playing a middle school 5-2 or even a 6-2.
At 5:28 p.m. today, you said you'd love to have him back calling the defensive signals.

Did you change your mind?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
At 5:28 p.m. today, you said you'd love to have him back calling the defensive signals.

Did you change your mind?
No, I'd take him for sure. He is a great recruiter. But as I've said all along he is inconsistent.

I'd tell him we aren't playing 3-3-5 in the SEC without a doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator