The death of a program

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The point is, you can't be gaga over Brohm without having some regard for Strong. And you need to be willing to see that he was a terrible fit for Texas. He is the perfect fit for a Florida school.
Why? Whats the difference between Florida and Texas? Other than location? That's a cheap cop out. Brohm is definitely a gamble no denying it. But i haven't seen him fail at a major job yet and he's an offensive guy.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Why? Whats the difference between Florida and Texas? Other than location? That's a cheap cop out. Brohm is definitely a gamble no denying it. But i haven't seen him fail at a major job yet and he's an offensive guy.

You can call it that. I say it's not. I say he didn't fit the good-ol'-boy environ in Texas. I say he fits Miami and South Florida like a glove. I say he's black, you're probably gonna say he's white, at least his wife.

I say tomato, you say tomata.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Strong is a known failure.

Brohm isnt. Plus Brohm would tear apart these SEC defenses which are currently built only to stop the run.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You can call it that. I say it's not. I say he didn't fit the good-ol'-boy environ in Texas. I say he fits Miami and South Florida like a glove. I say he's black, you're probably gonna say he's white, at least his wife.

He say tomato, you say tomata.
But he was able to recruit well out there regardless. He had players and couldn't win. I really like the guy. He could become usf's legondary coach.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Strong is a known failure.

Brohm isnt. Plus Brohm would tear apart these SEC defenses which are currently built only to stop the run.

Explain how Strong is and Brohm isn't. Just curious.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
But he was able to recruit well out there regardless. He had players and couldn't win. I really like the guy. He could become usf's legondary coach.

Mac could become our legendary coach, too. Depends which legend you're after.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If I'm the Florida AD, I read between the lines with Strong. He was an awful fit for Texas, a great fit in Florida. A great recruiter in Florida. But that's just me.
Awful fit bc he had a white wife? Really? People disliking tjat is why he had losing records? Really?

Youre killing me, bro.

88drgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Thanks Jeremy Foley for showing me there was other sports to watch out there besides football, like women's lacrosse and softball etc. I used to spend all my time watching, dreaming, thinking about football, that I didn't know these other fine sports even existed. Since Foley single handily tanked what use to be a juggernaut of a football program, I've discovered that we play more exciting sports than football at the University of Florida. Jeremy Foley your the greatest!

It would be hilarious if someone would say something to this effect to Foley at some public event or fundraiser event, since he refuses to step away completely from the athletic program. He probably wouldn't even know the person was being sarcastic and would take it as genuine. Lol

Girls Volleyball. I love watching Lady Gators Volleyball - even before they were #1. And unlike Gator Football, I do care about their unis. :embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed:

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014

I say tomato, you say tomata.

Last I looked there's was a whole lot more to Florida than Miami and South Florida.

I don't think Strong's problem at Texas was that he was black, and as your comments seem to imply, to me at least, that the University of Texas boosters, or at least the ones that matter, are racists. I think Strong's problem was that he wasn't a back-slapper the way a Darryl Royal was or a Mac Brown was. He wanted to just be left alone to coach football and not be a politician on the booster circuit. The bottom line was that Strong had 3 years and he didn't produce. If Strong had won anything at Texas then the "good ole boys" (whoever they are, God I hate that term) would have "cottoned" to him in a hurry. It is true that at some schools you have to be more of a politician catering to and balancing all the different constituencies that make up your fan base.

You have to be a politician at Texas - Austin, but you also have to win. You don't have to be as much of a politician at a Louisville or USF. I think UF is a lot more like UT - Austin than Louisville or USF in that the stakes are higher in Gainesville and Austin. A head coach at these state universities has to get out among not just the school's alumni but they have to be able to relate to the school's football fans in all parts of the state. Coaching at an urban commuter school or a directional school is a lot different than coaching at a flagship university located in a football fanatical state.

Maybe Charlie Strong learned some things at Texas and will be a better coach because of it. But you are right '78. A coach can be a good fit at one school (Charlie Strong at Louisville) and not a good fit at another school (Charlie Strong at Texas) but his success, or lack thereof, was not just due to his race.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Name me five Div. 1 coaches not named Saban or Meyer who've maintained a high level of success over the past five years.
I'v got four:
Dabo Swinney
Mike Gundy
Jimbo Fisher
David Shaw

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Per Robbie Andreu's latest article, "Gators forced to discovery mode". This is a quote attributed to Franks.

Coach Nuss (offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier) and them tell me there’s going to be ups and there’s going to be downs, and it’s just how you respond when you’re down,” Franks said. “There are so many things that you can say that, ‘You could have done this, you could have won that game, you could have made that pass.’

That’s the game of football. Quarterbacks make mistakes. People make mistakes. That’s OK. You learn from them. God has a plan for every game we play, every practice we play, and you just go out there and have fun. He already has it planned out and that was His plan for tonight. We’re going to go back out there, this coming up week and prepare for the Aggies.

Romper room stuff like this is exactly why the team looks this way. Read those words slowly. This is stuff losers say. Not only are they acclimating them to losing, but they are so deflecting responsibility that they are blaming God. They are blaming the Creator of the universe for their loss.

I have a ministerial license, if they want the chaplain to coach, i would do it for half price.

Tebow, a person who's faith is genuine lost one game and said "you will never see anyone work harder..."

Thats almost mental coming from a paid coach. How do you compete with God?
"I'm a really good coach, but The Big Guy loves lsu..."

This is officially worse than anything muschamp did.

Last edited:

Gatorup!

Nov 14, 2016
Per Robbie Andreu's latest article, "Gators forced to discovery mode". This is a quote attributed to Franks.

Coach Nuss (offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier) and them tell me there’s going to be ups and there’s going to be downs, and it’s just how you respond when you’re down,” Franks said. “There are so many things that you can say that, ‘You could have done this, you could have won that game, you could have made that pass.’

That’s the game of football. Quarterbacks make mistakes. People make mistakes. That’s OK. You learn from them. God has a plan for every game we play, every practice we play, and you just go out there and have fun. He already has it planned out and that was His plan for tonight. We’re going to go back out there, this coming up week and prepare for the Aggies.

Franks is saying "God has a plan." not nussmeier.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
If I'm the Florida AD, I read between the lines with Strong. He was an awful fit for Texas, a great fit in Florida. A great recruiter in Florida. But that's just me.

This is just a dumb statement.

Strong is a terrible head coach

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
This is just a dumb statement.

Strong is a terrible head coach
Kinda like a school hiring Chimp after his display here. Some people never learn. And yes that includes our administration.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Explain how Brohm didn't go to Texas and fail to become bowl eligible?

I'm really having trouble tracking you.

Not sure why. Maybe because I can only provide so many clues before my point ought to be knocking you senseless between the eyes?

Because maybe Strong isn't done painting his football coaching canvass and three years in Austin does not a career failure make?

Because maybe Brohm's spent all of a millisecond in the limelight and nobody knows whether he's going to be known as good, bad, in-between or a guy who throws chairs?

Because maybe Strong despite being one of those stupid defensive guys was willing to turn over the reigns to a bright young offensive guy whose offense is rated 10th in the NCAA -- some 65 spots above Brohm's?

Because maybe moving the ball wasn't the principal reason why Texas, 37th in the nation in offense, struggled last season?

Because maybe the closest to an apples-to-apples we're going to get is Louisville and Western Kentucky and because Strong wins that one-on-one just about every time?

Lots of maybes here, Law. That includes your boy, Brohm.

For your and my sake both, I hope one of them rises to the top and becomes our next coach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator