The death of a program

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
OK, I'm done. I'm exhausted from spewing vitriol. I need to save some energy for next week's vitriol.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I just want to get the confused look off my face when I watch Gator games.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Law, you know I love you, but, jeez, how can you defend Brohm's Purdue offense at #76.

Get on the Charlie train.

I am not getting on any train by saying this, but having any criticism of Jeff Brohm at Purdue of any sort is WWWWAAAAYYYYYY off base. You want to talk about an unmitigated disaster. Purdue has not been competitive in at least 10+ years. I mean MAC teams were blowing them out. The fact that Purdue is half A$$ competitive on a weekly basis in Brohm's first year means he is doing something halfway decent at least.

Nothing against Charlie, but I believe USF was a double digit win team last year, had lots of players returning and had very good success during the Taggert years.

just sayin.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He is right though. Brohm is far from a sure thing. He hasn't had much defense so far (in 3 years) and new coaches often have it easier until teams get game film on them.

We cant afford to make another terrible hire.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Is charlie strong even. 500 without bridgewater? If we're taking failed head coaches I'm sure we can snag sumlin.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I am not getting on any train by saying this, but having any criticism of Jeff Brohm at Purdue of any sort is WWWWAAAAYYYYYY off base. You want to talk about an unmitigated disaster. Purdue has not been competitive in at least 10+ years. I mean MAC teams were blowing them out. The fact that Purdue is half A$$ competitive on a weekly basis in Brohm's first year means he is doing something halfway decent at least.

Nothing against Charlie, but I believe USF was a double digit win team last year, had lots of players returning and had very good success during the Taggert years.

just sayin.

USF had great success under Taggart, which explains him moving on to Oregon, but the Bulls were a defensive mess a year ago. Strong has turned it completely around while not sacrificing the offense. As with all teams, you have to hedge your comments with "so far," but I like what I see in the Strong-Gilbert combo. It's hard to ignore what they're doing together.

As for Brohm, you're right in that he inherited a project and has them headed in the right direction. That's doubly good for us if we're in a position to be shopping after this season.

Strong, Brohm, Frost ... there could be some good talent out there.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Is charlie strong even. 500 without bridgewater? If we're taking failed head coaches I'm sure we can snag sumlin.

If he recruited him, so what? Louisville was a disaster before Strong came in, 15-21 the three seasons previous to his hiring. 7-6, 7-6, 11-2, and 12-1 is certainly nothing to sneeze over.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
If he recruited him, so what? Louisville was a disaster before Strong came in, 15-21 the three seasons previous to his hiring. 7-6, 7-6, 11-2, and 12-1 is certainly nothing to sneeze over.
They were playing in Conference USA........

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If he recruited him, so what? Louisville was a disaster before Strong came in, 15-21 the three seasons previous to him coming in. 7-6, 7-6, 11-2, and 12-1 is certainly nothing to sneeze over.
Yeah but his qb was carrying them. I like cs but he was awful at texas. There's really no reason to truggle for 3 years to make a bowl at Texas. We need an offensive guy here. I don't care who cs would bring as oc because he'd be hired away as soon as our offense showed some life. I think Charlie's at the best spot for him honestly.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah but his qb was carrying them. I like cs but he was awful at texas. There's really no reason to truggle for 3 years to make a bowl at Texas. We need an offensive guy here. I don't care who cs would bring as oc because he'd be hired away as soon as our offense showed some life. I think Charlie's at the best spot for him honestly.

Louisville had the nation's top-rated defense in 2013, 26th the year before and 24th the year before that.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
IIRC, so were the opponents. And your point?
My point is certain schools like UCF, USF, Louisville and such almost always have 1 big winning season every 3-5 years because they a class that plays together against sh!tty teams in those conferences(not Louisville anymore) and wins 10-11 games....They don't sustain it and Charlie would be lost at Louisville right now because they play in one of the 2 best conferences in CFB.....It takes a lot of suckage to f vck Texas up the way he did....

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
My point is certain schools like UCF, USF, Louisville and such almost always have 1 big winning season every 3-5 years because they a class that plays together against sh!tty teams in those conferences(not Louisville anymore) and wins 10-11 games....They don't sustain it and Charlie would be lost at Louisville right now because they play in one of the 2 best conferences in CFB.....It takes a lot of suckage to f vck Texas up the way he did....

Name me five Div. 1 coaches not named Saban or Meyer who've maintained a high level of success over the past five years.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Name me five Div. 1 coaches not named Saban or Meyer who've maintained a high level of success over the past five years.
That's just because so many have moved around or retired......Be wary of little school/big season coaches because they will always let you down....

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The point is, you can't be gaga over Brohm without having some regard for Strong. And you need to be willing to see that he was a terrible fit for Texas. He is the perfect fit for a Florida school.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Louisville had the nation's top-rated defense in 2013, 26th the year before and 24th the year before that.
He had some good defenses here. I like Charlie. But there's been too many 6-6 seasons on his resume. 2 good years and 5 bad years.

I also don't wanna shuffle OC's with another defensive guy again.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That's just because so many have moved around or retired......Be wary of little school/big season coaches because they will always let you down....

Can we just agree that any hire is a crapshoot?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He had some good defenses here. I like Charlie. But there's been too many 6-6 seasons on his resume. 2 good years and 5 bad years.

I also don't wanna shuffle OC's with another defensive guy again.

If I'm the Florida AD, I read between the lines with Strong. He was an awful fit for Texas, a great fit in Florida. A great recruiter in Florida. But that's just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.