Status
Not open for further replies.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry but at risk of taking T rex's side in this, I disagree.

If I were a parent in Florida, I would not only be looking out for my kids but also TEACHING them about survival right now. Showing them how to work the generator or getting the candles ready or boarding up the windows or preparing for first aid. The list of things that they can learn in a situation like this is very long. This is a great opportunity to learn.

Now if anybody thinks that the team should pick up right now and roll out of town on a moment's notice I would say that is crazy too. But the thing is that this storm has been brewing for a long time and the track has been projected for a while. It has been said that as early as Sunday that LSU offered to host the game and pay for the trip and lodging. While I can understand not agreeing to that immediately, I also think that contingency plans to accept such an offer should have been made. Yes, I do know about logistics. I think that as early as Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning that they could have realized that pre-game preparations were going to be in grave danger on Thursday and Friday and that the chances of having this game were next to nil. Heck, I even posted the thread about it on Tuesday and I don't even live in Florida or follow the storms that closely.

The team could have had their gear packed up on Wednesday night and trucked to BR and they could have jumped on the plane Thursday morning and met the gear in Louisiana. All the emergency services, first responders, hotel rooms, etc in Gainesville would be released to help with the storm. Our players would be safe out of harms way. They wouldn't even miss a day of practice. Don't forget these kids train all year for these games so they don't want to flush one down the toilet. I would imagine that these games mean more to the players than they do to the fans.

Also don't forget that the football program itself is a teaching tool. Not just about playing a game, but about handling life and adversity. Yes there are adults in charge but there are the players themselves who have to learn as well as the dozens of student and grad assistants who could learn a ton from this experience. Personally I think they should have had the logistics set up for this early in the week and made the call yesterday to execute plan B, but obviously we are well past that. So now they'll just hunker down in their dorm rooms and deal with the storm like everybody else instead of doing what they came to UF to do.

Fire away.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Talk about tragedizing, I present Fox's Shepperd Smith quote about 3 pm thursday:
"Folks, this is a killer storm. Get out now. If it turns 20 miles westward, you are dead,
your parents are dead, your children are dead. Everybody you know are dead."

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Talk about tragedizing, I present Fox's Shepperd Smith quote about 3 pm thursday:
"Folks, this is a killer storm. Get out now. If it turns 20 miles westward, you are dead,
your parents are dead, your children are dead. Everybody you know are dead."

Too bad he's not sent to cover the storm, at the beach, at landfall......

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
No. People's safety is much more important. It's not close. That's why you move it.

When? Are you honestly suggesting giving up tens of millions of dollars on Monday or Tuesday with no forecast showing a definitive impact? What if it shifts like many storms do? Again, you're not being practical with regards to logistics. That makes zero business sense. And are you going to honestly say you wouldn't be stomping your feet and be complaining about the mismanagement of things had the storm changed course?

Btw, to your earlier comment about Lsu, they postponed the opener and moved the second game to Tempe well over a week after Katrina hit. Apples and oranges.

I've been in this board for a while. We have hundreds of reasons to be frustrated with UF athletics. This simply isn't one of them.

And God help anyone allowing the absolute monkeys who call into a college football radio talk show, to shape their opinions.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
So who are the bigger pussies: the ones who made a tough decision to put safety over a game, or the ones who have been complaining nonstop on the internet about a football team full of teenagers for the last......*checks watch*.........7 years?

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
When? Are you honestly suggesting giving up tens of millions of dollars on Monday or Tuesday with no forecast showing a definitive impact? What if shifts like many storms do? Again, you're not being practical with regards to logistics. That makes zero business sense. And are you going to honestly say you wouldn't be stomping your feet and be complaining about the mismanagement of hangs had the storm changed course?

Btw, to your earlier comment about Lsu, they moved the postponed the opener and moved the second game to Tempe well over a week after Katrina hit. Apples and oranges.

I've been in this board for a while. We have hundreds of reasons to be frustrated with UF athletics. This simply isn't one of them.

And God help anyone allowing the absolute monkeys who call into a college football radio talk show, to shape their opinions.
Again, if the logistics had been put into place, instead of making the call today to cancel the game they could have made the call to go to BR. It was obvious to anybody this morning and even last night that the game wasn't going to be played as scheduled.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Again, if the logistics had been put into place, instead of making the call today to cancel the game they could have made the call to go to BR. It was obvious to anybody this morning and even last night that the game wasn't going to be played as scheduled.

Disagree that it was obvious. I have friends in PB Gardens that we're just ordered to evacuate this afternoon. As I mentioned, make a decision to move a critical home game to BR and watch the absolute beating our AA would take when the storm weakens or misses and Saturday is beautiful. I'll repeat, the idea of moving a game prior to a catastrophe is--to my knowledge--unprecedented. Every case I've seen presented has been after the fact.

Please list all of the programs and scenarios that have made this decision so easily as has been suggested. I notice Miami wasn't even entertaining the thought. So if we're going to continue this argument, please give me solid examples of programs that have handled things correctly, pre-situation.

Last edited:

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's a flipping game...FFS. Everyone all week was bitching about how we'd lose. I'm simply amazed.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Disagree that it was obvious. I have friends in PB Gardens that we're just ordered to evacuate this afternoon. As I mentioned, make a decision to move a critical home game to BR and watch the absolute beating our AA would take when the storm weakens or misses and Saturday is beautiful. I'll repeat, the idea of moving a game prior to a catastrophe is--to my knowledge--unprecedented. Every case I've seen presented has been after the fact.
Saturday isn't the issue. The issue is Thursday and Friday. That is when the bulk of the work happens to get ready for a game. It was pretty obvious that planning on flying into GNV on Friday was going to be impossible. My airline had already reported that most of the Florida airports were going to be closed on Friday. There was IMO about a 95% chance as of yesterday morning that this game was gonna get cancelled. When i started the Rainout thread on Tuesday I figured there was about a 25% chance.

In the end I'm not the least bit surprised we didn't go to BR. But I would have been impressed if we had.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
What's even funnier is half this board said they were done watching the gators anyhow:lol:
I'm also fairly certain that 100% of the people b*tching the loudest weren't even going to go to the game this weekend. :lol:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Saturday isn't the issue. The issue is Thursday and Friday. That is when the bulk of the work happens to get ready for a game. It was pretty obvious that planning on flying into GNV on Friday was going to be impossible. My airline had already reported that most of the Florida airports were going to be closed on Friday. There was IMO about a 95% chance as of yesterday morning that this game was gonna get cancelled. When i started the Rainout thread on Tuesday I figured there was about a 25% chance.

In the end I'm not the least bit surprised we didn't go to BR. But I would have been impressed if we had.

Fair enough. But am I correct in my suggestion that making said arrangements days prior to the actual event would be out of character for a football program, making our handling of things quite normal, even appropriate?

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Fair enough. But am I correct in my suggestion that making said arrangements days prior to the actual event would be out of character for a football program, making our handling of things quite normal, even appropriate?
To reiterate, I'm not surprised that we didn't go but I would have been proud to see us make it happen. That kind of thing takes an above average level of foresight and planning and logistical capacity. I guess I sorta wish that one of the nation's premiere institutions of higher learning was in that realm. It isn't about being a puzzie or not, its about be prepared and flexible.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The next time those ****holes Baton Rouge and New Orleans get ravaged by a Cat 5, I'll be damned if I give one cent to charity. Let 'em drown. Hell, they probably still have lazy bastards living in FEMA trailers a decade later.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
To reiterate, I'm not surprised that we didn't go but I would have been proud to see us make it happen. That kind of thing takes an above average level of foresight and planning and logistical capacity. I guess I sorta wish that one of the nation's premiere institutions of higher learning was in that realm.

So to be fair, this evolved from us handling it all wrong and looking bad, to simply not leading the way and doing something that no other program has done to date.

Again, we have plenty of legitimate reasons to question leadership. Grabbing at these straws is silly.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So to be fair, this evolved from us handling it all wrong and looking bad, to simply not leading the way and doing something that no other program has done to date.

Again, we have plenty of legitimate reasons to question leadership. Grabbing at these straws is silly.
Just last year USC decided on a Wednesday to move their home game to Baton Rouge due to flooding. Was it a hurricane? No. Did they have more advanced notice however? I don't think so. In many ways they had less notice. Anyway it's over so all this is academic.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Just last year USC decided on a Wednesday to move their home game to Baton Rouge due to flooding. Was it a hurricane? No. Did they have more advanced notice however? I don't think so. In many ways they had less notice. Anyway it's over so all this is academic.

It was days after the flooding. This was days before a possible impact. Again, apples oranges.

And you're right, it's moot now. I just find it odd that certain ones spew nonsense and name calling, yet have no substance or answers to fairly easy questions.

Not implying that you did this, ftr.

Last edited:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Okay well try this on for size: Over the last couple of days, how many Floridians have been told to evacuate? A bunch. Most people do not usually just pick up what they can and drive away from their homes on a moments notice but that is exactly what the officials ask these people to do.

Now, contrast that with the football team. Every football team above the high school level is by definition an expeditionary unit. They travel. They have the trucks, the containers, the lockers and the bags. They have logistics personnel, equipment managers and grad assistants and laborers. They have the checklists and the planning documents and the rosters and the SOPs. It's all built and ready to go. They execute these plans several times every year, sometimes to places they've never even been before.

That is why, IMO, if they had been given the warning order to prepare for a POSSIBLE move on Sunday, they could have been ready to execute that plan Wednesday night without too much problem. Playing an away game is hardly something that hasn't been done before and the criteria for canceling this game should have been known yesterday. One of those criteria would easily be that the airport is going to be closed, which I already knew yesterday and the travel people damn sure knew it as well.

But again it's over so all this is just after action debrief talk.

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I can't believe I'm reading this idiocy. Are you Floridians? Have you been through bad hurricanes?

There isn't a hotel room to be found in central Florida. Airports will be shut down. Hundreds of thousands, if not millions, will be without power, and locations that were just down the street will not be inaccessible, with emergency services hacking their way through trees and power lines to get to the wounded and vulnerable.

If the storm surge is as predicted, flooding will inundate the coast, and as the storm moves north, more people will evacuate toward the center of the state, occupying every available room.

And kids from school will be trying to reach their families, which will only be possible as long as a single cell charge lasts.

FFS, stop sounding like idiots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member