The National Signing Day Thread

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Meyer actually played a college football game as a member of the University of Cincinnati at Florida Field in the 1980's, which is on the UF campus.

Just sayin....

I was at that game! I saw “smoke Cincy” banners everywhere while my Dad and I walked to the game. Gators smoked ‘em alright... might’ve been homecoming? The game was never in doubt. I believe urbs confessed he was more focused on the tan Florida coeds more than the game back then.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Nope. Every failed WR is a DB.

Yeah, yeah. We've heard you say that since chimp. So far how has that worked? Who is the last failed WR we successfully moved to DB? Hell, who is the last WR that moved to DB? We've had some RB's move to D, but who's the last WR? I'm taking the 5-star CB who wants to come to UF any day over moving a "failed WR to DB".

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I was at that game! I saw “smoke Cincy” banners everywhere while my Dad and I walked to the game. Gators smoked ‘em alright... might’ve been homecoming? The game was never in doubt. I believe urbs confessed he was more focused on the tan Florida coeds more than the game back then.

I was at that game too. 1984? I think I still have the program!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, yeah. We've heard you say that since chimp. So far how has that worked?
It worked great under SOS and Creyer.

Chimp was the only one who thought you moved failed DBs to offense.

I would take 5 stars, or very high 4 stars, basically vh3s/lito sheppards (who had good enough hands and moves to play slot receiver btw). Taking all these CJ McWilliamsons, Burnetts and Putus is an absolute waste of schollies.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
It worked great under SOS and Creyer.

Chimp was the only one who thought you moved failed DBs to offense.

Who are they? Which failed WR did SOS or Meyer move? I remember a couple of RBs moving over....

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Yeah, a bunch of trash and a six pack of DBs.

Mac had some big commits in this class before the wheels began to fall off, but the list you posted still showed how many 3*s almost gained a UF scholly. Kinda scary... I’m really hoping this is just a glimpse of the type of improvement we will see with DM.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Who are they? Which failed WR did SOS or Meyer move? I remember a couple of RBs moving over....
Ratliff under SOS
Lewis under Meyer, started in the championship game
Haden was supposed to play offense but switched to CB to get on the field quicker.
Dunbar should’ve been switched

Also FSU switched Lane to defense and he played alright for his first year there

Windy City Gator

Banned
BANNED
Oct 26, 2017

Yes, I was at this game too I was a junior, and like Urbs, was focused on the tanned coeds in dolphin shorts....

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
Yeah, yeah. We've heard you say that since chimp. So far how has that worked? Who is the last failed WR we successfully moved to DB? Hell, who is the last WR that moved to DB? We've had some RB's move to D, but who's the last WR? I'm taking the 5-star CB who wants to come to UF any day over moving a "failed WR to DB".

Probably kind of off topic but semi-related is how Quinton Dunbar was a pretty ho hum receiver here and ended up becoming a good NFL CB. I always love bringing up how many Muschamp players were pretty worthless while they were here and then turned out to be NFL caliber once they left our team.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Ratliff under SOS
Lewis under Meyer, started in the championship game
Haden was supposed to play offense but switched to CB to get on the field quicker.
Dunbar should’ve been switched

Also FSU switched Lane to defense and he played alright for his first year there

Thanks for answering. Law is so full of himself, remembers one WR in 25 years moving to DB and thinks it's just something that's easy to do.

Lewis was mediocre at best...and started due to being the last man standing.

Ratliff was always a DB from what I remember (same w/ Haden).....but most HS kids that are WR's are also HS DB's, unless they play at an IMG type school that is a football factory.

Making the transition from WR to DB isn't difficult, but that doesn't mean they'll be an SEC caliber DB. He's more likely to be a mediocre DB vs. being SEC caliber.

Yes, Dunbar....the old fall back. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Personally, I'd rather our coaches and recruiting staff do what they are paid to do: evaluate HS recruits talent and determine "This kid has NFL DB talent....let's sign him to play DB" vs. "move all of our failed WR's to DB". Seems pretty simple. We should be able to sign top quality DBs vs moving the WR's we mis-evaluated over to DB.

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
Yes, I was at this game too I was a junior, and like Urbs, was focused on the tanned coeds in dolphin shorts....
If it was '84 then I was there as well. Sophomore, in the Pride Of The Sunshine. Unfortunately the days of tanned coeds in dolphin shorts have been overtaken by nerdy girls in shorts and it just isn't the same.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not suggesting JUST WRs (vs RBs). Don't be silly. But to answer your question: Keiwan Ratliff, Justin Williams, Kelvin Kight, Carlos Perez, Tyrone Baker... off the top of my head or just glancing at a few rosters.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Keiwan Ratliff, Justin Williams, Kelvin Kight, Carlos Perez, Tyrone Baker... off the top of my head or just glancing at a few rosters.

Ratliff was always a DB. But the others? Yeah, real success stories!! So you're plan is for us to have the worst secondary in the SEC?

Kight and Perez were two of the best WR's of the Zook era, btw.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for answering. Law is so full of himself, remembers one WR in 25 years moving to DB and thinks it's just something that's easy to do.

Lewis was mediocre at best...and started due to being the last man standing.

Ratliff was always a DB from what I remember (same w/ Haden).....but most HS kids that are WR's are also HS DB's, unless they play at an IMG type school that is a football factory.

Making the transition from WR to DB isn't difficult, but that doesn't mean they'll be an SEC caliber DB. He's more likely to be a mediocre DB vs. being SEC caliber.

Yes, Dunbar....the old fall back. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Personally, I'd rather our coaches and recruiting staff do what they are paid to do: evaluate HS recruits talent and determine "This kid has NFL DB talent....let's sign him to play DB" vs. "move all of our failed WR's to DB". Seems pretty simple. We should be able to sign top quality DBs vs moving the WR's we mis-evaluated over to DB.
Well Lewis did start In a National Championship game.

You were right about Ratliff, though I swear he was given a shot at WR. He played both in HS.

Here is the Gainesville Sun’s NSD article listing Haden as a WR. Gonzales was his recruiter as well, which is telling.

http://www.gainesville.com/news/20070207/another-no-1-for-florida

Dunbar is exactly what Law is talking about though. He sucked as a receiver, so give him a shot at CB. If he fails, process him out.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ratliff was always a DB. But the others? Yeah, real success stories!! So you're plan is for us to have the worst secondary in the SEC?

Kight and Perez were two of the best WR's of the Zook era, btw.
Taylor Jacob’s disagrees.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Well Lewis did start In a National Championship game.

You were right about Ratliff, though I swear he was given a shot at WR. He played both in HS.

Here is the Gainesville Sun’s NSD article listing Haden as a WR. Gonzales was his recruiter as well, which is telling.

http://www.gainesville.com/news/20070207/another-no-1-for-florida

Dunbar is exactly what Law is talking about though. He sucked as a receiver, so give him a shot at CB. If he fails, process him out.

Thanks for doing the research.

Law keeps saying to move "FAILED WR's" to DB. Haden doesn't fit in this category at all. He was never a failed WR.

His whole premise is BS. The bottom line: Go F'ing sign 4 and 5 star DBs out of HS!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.