The Texas Job - AC (After Charlie), Mac on their list

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
That website clearly didn't read the actual article. Here is what the original article said...pretty much just guesswork and tossing out random names....

The key, according to one person with knowledge of the industry, is what happens at Texas. If Charlie Strong can’t save his job, Texas is expected to pursue Houston coach Tom Herman. But if that marriage falls apart for whatever reason, it could trigger a series of dominoes that impact multiple top-25 programs. Among the names that could be mentioned in connection with Texas are Florida’s Jim McElwain, Ole Miss’ Hugh Freeze, Washington’s Chris Petersen, North Carolina’s Larry Fedora and California’s Sonny Dykes.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Let's just do a mid-season swap. They get butters & nuss, we get Charlie and his OC, SOS becomes interim HC, Charlie is the DC

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Clearly UTx is NOT hiring Freeze given the NCAA is looking around Mississippi. I doubt they hire Dykes either with his 39-41 career record. Petersen would be interesting as he might turn them down. Fedora would be following the Mack Brown path of hiring a UNC head coach. McElwain is hard for me to see also.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I actually wouldn't trade Mac for strong. Strong is basically a nicer version of Muschamp. At least with Mac we have some offense.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Now I have more reason to pissed if we dont finish strong. I'll be rooting for mac to earn the texas job.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm kidding lol ... sort of

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
This could really be our year to nab a big time DC....Strong, Mason and Stoops could all be available after losing their HCing gigs at the end of the year....
We could also get one of the best bag men in the business when LSU sends the dirty Oger packing...

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This could really be our year to nab a big time DC....Strong, Mason and Stoops could all be available after losing their HCing gigs at the end of the year....
Mason is probably pretty safe for now but he would be the most sought after dc in the country.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Cmon Ox, you know I'm not a pumper but offensively we at least move the ball a bit and actually have the fwd pass as a concept in the playbook. My statement wasn't an endorsement of Mac, it was an indictment of strong. The guy is a disaster as an HC and is only better than Muschamp offensively by a slim margin.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Cmon Ox, you know I'm not a pumper but offensively we at least move the ball a bit and actually have the fwd pass as a concept in the playbook. My statement wasn't an endorsement of Mac, it was an indictment of strong. The guy is a disaster as an HC and is only better than Muschamp offensively by a slim margin.
Strong has fixed the Texas offense. It's solid this year. The defense however is a trainwreck. It's hard to figure.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Strong has fixed the Texas offense. It's solid this year. The defense however is a trainwreck. It's hard to figure.

Seems like the coaches who are in over their heads tend to do this. Over compensate and spend too much energy trying to not be "just a DC(or (OC)". Then, their area of expertise gets neglected. I remember scratching my head at how terrible Ron Zook's STs were given his experience.

Muschamp is the exception. He just sucks.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I've been one of the harshest critics of certain areas of the program under Mac(i.e recruiting). But I'm honestly surprised at some of the thinking here. I hate to go broken record here, but many felt in early 2015 that we were 3 years away from being a real contender, even for the pathetic East. There was no illusion of us becoming great overnight. The reality is, after completely defying the odds in year 1, we are one really bad half of football from having a two game lead again this year.

As was pointed out, we're no where near where we need to be offensively, but we all knew that it would be ugly due to WM's horribly unbalanced recruiting. It isn't good yet, but it is still considerably better than what we witnessed for 4 years. And I'm not sure what system works effectively when you inherit the OL situation we have.

Again, I'm not saying Mac absolutely is the answer. But the quickness with which some of you are anxiously willing to throw in the towel is shocking. Things could obviously go south between now and the end of the year. But considering we're way ahead of what most expected through 1.5 seasons, I think it's reasonable to a least give it that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.