The Texas Job - AC (After Charlie), Mac on their list

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
I would be excited of the prospect of Strong coming here if Mac were to go. However I seriously doubt Mac would take that job. Taking the HC job at Texas is a death wish.
Oh sure, this will solve all of our problems. Trade Gattorchatter's proclaimed dumpster fire that is Mac for Texas' seventh choice for HC. Remember how well the last coach from Texas worked out for us?

I don't understand the disdain for Mac. He won the East last year and we are sitting at 5-1 so far. Has it been pretty? No. Does Mac need to find a dentist lickity-split for a teeth cleaning? Yes. But you have to start somewhere to rebuild a program that was literally flattened by Asschamp, so be patient.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I'm with those that find interest in Miles not being mentioned at all. He has B12 experience from his OSU days, and has recruited that area from his time at LSU. He was perennially an also-ran in SEC-West, which would put him near the top of any other conference. I suspect the reluctance is TX believes themselves bigger, better, and badder than they really are (seen a lot of that in recent years with other <ND> type programs), so maybe they wouldn't take someone who was 'fired' and want someone winning their conferences (which Mac only really qualifies for based on last year's SEC-East championship in a very weak division). I don't see Mac getting a call.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I get what you're saying and I see some positives but the complete collapse from last year and the fact that we really haven't played anyone this year leaves a lot of us uncomfortable.....Recruiting also says perception around the program is still wait and see.

The offense is better in design no doubt but it still stutters and stammers around for 3/4 of most games, no "true superstars" are emerging either. The defense went into limp mode the first time they were tested by real athletes of the same caliber(UT) just like the same as over the last 5-6 years. Depth in the trenches is and will be a glaring problem going forward especially on defense next year......this has not been addressed at all.

Mac is so far 2-2 in rivalry games and I believe 1-5 against ranked teams. We constantly struggle with far inferior opponents which pushes our starters deeper into games where backups should getting game reps and it is taking it's toll on the starters health(injuries). Some of this might be on the players motivation and effort but isn't that a sign of a top tier coach. Meyer, Saban and Harbaugh dismantle the lessor teams on their schedule quickly and then turn it over to the young guys to cut their teeth for the future...

Luckily for us UGA sucks....we'll win BUT we won't know the real measure of this team until we make a road trip to play the Pigs in November. Win that one and I think we'll stay the course....fail and well as I like to say, if you're going to fail better to fail fast then start again.

Good post CH.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm with those that find interest in Miles not being mentioned at all. He has B12 experience from his OSU days, and has recruited that area from his time at LSU. He was perennially an also-ran in SEC-West, which would put him near the top of any other conference. I suspect the reluctance is TX believes themselves bigger, better, and badder than they really are (seen a lot of that in recent years with other <ND> type programs), so maybe they wouldn't take someone who was 'fired' and want someone winning their conferences (which Mac only really qualifies for based on last year's SEC-East championship in a very weak division). I don't see Mac getting a call.

his offensive philosophy is apparently putting him off on a lot of lists. For him to have so much NFL talent go through his system, and to produce those middling offenses while going through OC's. It stops being an OC issue and it's a head coaching philosophy.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm with those that find interest in Miles not being mentioned at all.
Have you not watched LSU play football recently? No one does Les with more.

He will end up at a Indiana/Kansas maybe Wisky/Arky type school. Maybe even Meatchicken State. He is after all just another Bert Bielema except that Miles actually can field a defense and recruit. He will fit in well with someplace that tolerates archaic offenses.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

He will end up at a Indiana/Kansas maybe Wisky/Arky type school. Maybe even Meatchicken State. He is after all just another Bert Bielema except that Miles actually can field a defense and recruit. He will fit in well with someplace that tolerates archaic offenses.

Top of Purdue's list.

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
Last I heard, Miles was hired by a local landscaping company to be their lawn mower. He got the job on the spot thanks to his affinity for eating grass.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Miles has big10 written all over him

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
You want a guy who is a perennial 7 game win coach unless he has a guy named Bridgewater? Why dont we just hire Chimp back if that's the case

No there was some thought behind this. Have you watched a Texas game this year? His team plays hard, a lot harder than we do at times. Despite his marginal success at Texas, he did get it done at LU. Plus he has UF connections obviously.

A lot of people here want that home run hitter (Spurrier, Meyer, etc.), which is why people are b!tching about Mac. So if Mac leaves, and we don't get the home run hitter, I just said I would be open to it.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I really wish Mac had the staff and the talent to give him an honest evaluation. I see signs of us doing better "and yet" the product sometimes stinks. I do think Mac wants to be here. He better find a few staff replacements after this season and land some good players or he wont have long. I dont see him going to Tx.

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
If Texas comes after Mac, let's go after Petrino. Give him enough medication to keep his harmonies down. I am ready for an offensive minded HC, one thing you have to say about him is he has large enough gonads to throw it down field more than once a game.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If Texas comes after Mac, let's go after Petrino. Give him enough medication to keep his harmonies down. I am ready for an offensive minded HC, one thing you have to say about him is he has large enough gonads to throw it down field more than once a game.

:britney:

We've been throwing down field quite a bit. We just don't have any QBs that can do it with any consistent accuracy.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If Mac was to leave that would just set us behind even more. The man won 10 games last year with a team that was terrible in lots of spots and won the east and so far has us sitting at 5-1, and first in the east. Some games have been hard to stomach but I think he has us in the right direction, although I wouldn't mind seeing Nord, Nuss, And maybe summers going if the line doesn't improve.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The ultimatum of our pessimistic reality is that right now those posters "know" that Mac will never
be able to construct an SEC championship team. They have come to that surety after 1.5 seasons.
So 2 seasons is all UF should give Mac.

It should be okay if Mac's Gator teams average 9.5 wins for 4,5,6 years while he learns
"on-the-job" to establish a CFB Program that after year 6 gets in the NC mix frequently ?
Aren't we condemning Mac like he's brought us 3 seasons of 8-4 teams ... and it's a
pre-condemnation to boot.

Last edited:

Wuerffel4Pres

No offense
Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
To get valid on these recent "coach-dump" movements perhaps someone could collect and present
data on past big-big successfully coached programs, plotting the various numbers of years that
coaches took before reaching the top ? All with a look towards : Have fan bases gotten quick-fix fever ?
Is fan-rabies making shambles out of reasonable HC development careers ?

7 miserable seasons
7 miserable seasons
7 miserable seasons
7 miserable seasons
7 miserable seasons
7 miserable seasons
7 miserable seasons

Also, see Michigan. They were in the same situation we were and have turned it around uber quickly, even swiping recruits from our own state. I'm so f^n sick and tired of the excuses made among Florida fans and being told to be patient. 7 god---n years is more than patient enough.

Fun N' Stun

Nov 15, 2014
7 miserable seasons
7 miserable seasons
7 miserable seasons
7 miserable seasons
7 miserable seasons
7 miserable seasons
7 miserable seasons

Also, see Michigan. They were in the same situation we were and have turned it around uber quickly, even swiping recruits from our own state. I'm so f^n sick and tired of the excuses made among Florida fans and being told to be patient. 7 god---n years is more than patient enough.
It's hilarious because the coach gets paid 5 million a year yet some fans feel the need to patrol the message boards and tell fans to stop being spoiled and to be patient. LOL.

I wish the posters would come to my work and tell my supervisors to be patient with me and lower expectations.... And I don't get paid 5 million a year.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
7 miserable seasons
7 miserable seasons
7 miserable seasons
7 miserable seasons
7 miserable seasons
7 miserable seasons
7 miserable seasons

See the conclusion jumped to -- the "how dare this fan defend coach Mac's clumsy, doubtful-progress 10-win first
season ?

I was asking for an average in years on single coaches that stayed at one school to develop his program
into a winner. Fret not, I am not defending Mac or any coach. I am seeking to learn the span of years a
coach has been given to "make it", thereby seeing if that "given span" has been shortening as a
modern trend.?

In spite of my seeking generic data, coach Mac did not cause us 7 years of failures. The coach we're
rejecting now has had nothing to do with 7 years of Florida failure. Anyway, I have no defiant point; my
research question is about the employment environment of modern CFB coaching. = is the time given
until success shrinking ?

I was immediately disgusted last year with Mac's leading(?) us to a season-ending 3 game collapse, leaving
us Gator fans & recruits with doubts on UF "heading" on course for success ... along with this year's demonstrated
non-dominance of easy SOS opponents. If Harbaugh, whose personality I dislike, would come here and make
UF perennially a top 10 team with some NCs, I'd be all for his hire.

I am not an "its gotta be Mac" fan; if it were right now decided to let Mac go, I would have this
nagging worry that we had made an antsy mistake = unless we replaced him with a type HC like Spurrier,
or Saban.(not Meyer because of the doubt that he has staying power.) Would Patrino, without his QB phenom,
make us a sure powerhouse here within a 2-3 year span?... or, actually, a 1.5 year span?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.