The Urban Meyer of now is a better coach

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Or is he? The Meyer of old recruited like a banshee and maintained an edge like no other, which is why he flamed out.

I dare say none of his Ohio State teams could touch the '08 or even '09 Florida teams. Maybe not even '06.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Are his recruiting classes weak? I don't follow OSU.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I was watching an ESPN clip on the return of Ezekiel Elliott, who's a beast, and it got me to thinking. Meyer's put a bunch of kids in the NFL from both schools.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think he could have built a dynasty here, Ox. What a shame. I'm happy for him that he got on with his life.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I think he could have built a dynasty here, Ox.
He did. A short one.

Cameron Newton staying in school would have kept him at UF many years longer and we would have won at least one more title....maybe two.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He did. A short one.

Cameron Newton staying in school would have kept him at UF many years longer and we would have won at least one more title....maybe two.

You may be right. He was maintaining a precarious balance by that time between the control of his players and the W-L column. Newton had that monster season. The question is, could he have put up anywhere near those kind of numbers under our playcalling? Dunno.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
You may be right. He was maintaining a precarious balance by that time between the control of his players and the W-L column. Newton had that monster season. The question is, could he have put up anywhere near those kind of numbers under our playcalling? Dunno.
Newton was such an unbelievable talent I think he would have won a Heisman with us, yes.

Oklahoma Gator

Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2015
He would have been a monster here.

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
Meyer has learned, he dumped his OC last year when it became clear things weren't working, something he refused to do here

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
I know many Gator fans who would like to see his name expunged from all the Gator records but Urban Meyer is a great football coach. His W-L record speaks for itself and what he did in his short time in Gainesville was nothing short of miraculous.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
I know many Gator fans who would like to see his name expunged from all the Gator records but Urban Meyer is a great football coach. His W-L record speaks for itself and what he did in his short time in Gainesville was nothing short of miraculous.
Those were great years no doubt. That loss to Bama in the SECCG started this slide and we are still in it.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I miss the hungry, ladder climbing Myer :cool:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

He will be in the Ring of Honor. Just a matter of time.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He is probably the best ST coordinator of all time. He said in his book that he intended to win with defense and special teams and to give the ball to his playmakers. It is what he does.

He isn't an innovator on offense, but he doesn't have to be.

I don't think he has lost a step in recruiting, in fact I think if you look at star ratings of the classes, he has improved slightly. However, the blue chippers from Florida are just better than the bluechippers from Ohio and the midwest.

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I know this won’t be popular, but I’m glad he’s gone. The program was out of control, the stars could do anything they wanted, and the only thing that kept us from looking like the very worst of the FSU or Miami teams of old was the face of Tim Tebow, who was so genuinely good that he outshined, for a while at least, the people running wild with violence, guns, and drugs.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He is probably the best ST coordinator of all time. He said in his book that he intended to win with defense and special teams and to give the ball to his playmakers. It is what he does.

He isn't an innovator on offense, but he doesn't have to be.

I don't think he has lost a step in recruiting, in fact I think if you look at star ratings of the classes, he has improved slightly. However, the blue chippers from Florida are just better than the bluechippers from Ohio and the midwest.

What did Haden, Hernandez, Harvin, Spikes, Cunningham, Floyd, Powell, Dunlap, Reed, Nelson, Trattou, Hill, Hunter, Nixon, Easley and Jenkins all have in common?

Recruited out of state.

Meyer was, is, remains a national recruiter.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So W-L is everything?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.