Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'll explain it again, more slowly.
Using "losses" does a couple of things:
First: it normalizes comparisons between different eras. A 10 win season was big deal back when we played only 11 regular season games, no SECCG and one bowl game. Spurrier won 10 games in 1991 as did Mac in 2015 but Spurrier did it in only 12 games whereas Mac had 14. Spurrier's 10 wins are a helluva a lot more impressive than Mac's 10 wins.
Second: it eliminates the auto cupcake win that everybody gets (except Chump of course). I acknowledge sometimes it's not a cupcake (Miami for ex).
Third: it eliminates the variable of making the SECCG. You can't lose it if you don't go to it. I'll leave it up to you to decide if it's better to go and lose or not go at all.
Fourth: it eliminates coaches/teams philosophies in bowl games. Again using Spurrier as an example he was 6-5 in bowl games. Now are you really going to use that as an argument that Spurrier was a bad coach?
Fifth: We generally play the same level of talent in the regular season. SECCG and Bowl games skew the comparison.

So let's look at average regular season losses between the coaches:
SOS: 1.6/yr
Meyer: 2.1/yr
Zook: 4/yr
Chump: 5/yr

Sounds about right doesn't it? Big difference between SOS/Meyer and Zook/Chump isn't there?

But let's look at season wins for comparison:
Meyer: 10.8/yr
SOS: 10.2/yr
Zook: 7.6/yr
Chump: 7.25/yr

So that looks about right again EXCEPT Spurrier played one less game a year. Spurrier's 10.2 is more impressive than Meyer's 10.8. So as a quick and dirty comparison regular season losses is a pretty good measure.

So where does Mac stand in that comparison. Well personally I think two seasons is a little short to compare but he's
Reg season losses 2.5/yr
Whole season wins 9.5/yr

Now here is probably the hard part for you. It's only one statistic. A quick and dirty one. Statistics are meaningless without context.
Bowl game records, records against rivals, record against ranked teams, etc. would complete the picture.

Here's another thing that's probably hard for you. It's possible for there to be contradictory stats. Everything is not binary. Spurrier has a great record, lots of SEC championships, an NC and one helluva a lot of offensive records but a terrible record in bowls and against F$U. But it's comical to watch the dumpers go ballistic when a stat favors Mac - which is why I do it. :dance:
TLDR :lol:

You take yourself way too seriously.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Nice summary, but it's still hard not to think of Mac as a 4 loss a year coach. Especially since we were blown out in every loss last year.
It's just one stat in a sea of stats. As an Engineer I'm trained to analyze data. So first you try to take out variables. Then you move on to other data.

Let me put this in here just so you know I'm not a blind pumper. It's pretty hard to ignore two seasons of triple digit offense. That's a pretty solid comparative stat. And yes we've won with defense.

The next thing that would be instructive is results against ranked teams. That tells you how good the TEAM is. The next thing I'd look at is how you did against the spread. That would tell you how good the coach is. Simply if you're expected to lose but win or are supposed to win but lose I think that tells you something about the coaching. (I don't know what that stat is so if somebody wants to research it, go for it). Mac, I think deservedly, won SEC COY in 2015 because nobody expected us to win more than 7-8 games and instead we won the East. That could have easily been an 8 loss season so I think Mac did a good job of holding it together.

The next thing you can do with data is throw out the high and the lows. So in 2015 what was the high? Tennessee probably. Throw that out. What was the low? F$U? Throw that out. Yes I'm ignoring 'bama and the bowl game for the moment. That leaves a loss to #6 LSU and a win against #3 Ole Miss. And we beat unranked Georgia. Yay!

Lets go to 2016. What was the best win? #16 LSU. Throw that out. Worst loss? Lots to choose from there. I'm gonna go with F$U again. So what does that leave? Not much. We beat unranked Georgia again. Yay!. But we lost to #14 UT by 10. Some will disagree but I'm gonna blame AA. However we lost to an unranked Arkansas team. Of the losses that game bothers me the most. We should've won it and we looked clueless on both side of the ball. That one really bothers me.

So bowl games. Meh. We didn't really put much effort into Meatchicken and you can quibble about the philosophy of that game. Honesty they were way better than our #19 ranking. And we beat fairly evenly ranked Iowa 30-3.

Now onto Alabama. We were no where near National Champion level talent so the scores don't surprise. Were they embarrassing? yes. Surprising? No.

You're probably wondering what my point is. So am I. I got kinda bored half way through and just started rambling.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
It's just one stat in a sea of stats. As an Engineer I'm trained to analyze data. So first you try to take out variables. Then you move on to other data.

Let me put this in here just so you know I'm not a blind pumper. It's pretty hard to ignore two seasons of triple digit offense. That's a pretty solid comparative stat. And yes we've won with defense.

The next thing that would be instructive is results against ranked teams. That tells you how good the TEAM is. The next thing I'd look at is how you did against the spread. That would tell you how good the coach is. Simply if you're expected to lose but win or are supposed to win but lose I think that tells you something about the coaching. (I don't know what that stat is so if somebody wants to research it, go for it). Mac, I think deservedly, won SEC COY in 2015 because nobody expected us to win more than 7-8 games and instead we won the East. That could have easily been an 8 loss season so I think Mac did a good job of holding it together.

The next thing you can do with data is throw out the high and the lows. So in 2015 what was the high? Tennessee probably. Throw that out. What was the low? F$U? Throw that out. Yes I'm ignoring 'bama and the bowl game for the moment. That leaves a loss to #6 LSU and a win against #3 Ole Miss. And we beat unranked Georgia. Yay!

Lets go to 2016. What was the best win? #16 LSU. Throw that out. Worst loss? Lots to choose from there. I'm gonna go with F$U again. So what does that leave? Not much. We beat unranked Georgia again. Yay!. But we lost to #14 UT by 10. Some will disagree but I'm gonna blame AA. However we lost to an unranked Arkansas team. Of the losses that game bothers me the most. We should've won it and we looked clueless on both side of the ball. That one really bothers me.

So bowl games. Meh. We didn't really put much effort into Meatchicken and you can quibble about the philosophy of that game. Honesty they were way better than our #19 ranking. And we beat fairly evenly ranked Iowa 30-3.

Now onto Alabama. We were no where near National Champion level talent so the scores don't surprise. Were they embarrassing? yes. Surprising? No.

You're probably wondering what my point is. So am I. I got kinda bored half way through and just started rambling.
One thing you never seem to take into account is how God awful the east has been since Mac took over. Ten years ago he wouldn't have sniffed the number of wins he's had and we wouldn't have won the division either year. The east is an embarrassment these days.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
One thing you never seem to take into account is how God awful the east has been since Mac took over. Ten years ago he wouldn't have sniffed the number of wins he's had and we wouldn't have won the division either year. The east is an embarrassment these days.
tenor.gif

GatorSkin

Founding Member
Nord for President 2020
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I

I had to give ya a like for making me read all that crap and then telling me you just started rambling. Well done *******!!!!!!!

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
I think everyone is dying for offense, and I get that, but we have to look at this and understand it has only been two years into this rebuild. We all knew it would take time given the state of the roster when Mac arrived, and yet we still made it to Atlanta both years. I think we are primed for a very promising offensive year this year. I would encourage all gator fans to go to the home games we have scheduled because this could be a very special season.

Last edited:

Sundaysunday

Jul 27, 2014
I

The Tennessee and Arkansas games were the most winnable and frustrating to lose. We completely fell apart at Tennessee and never showed up at Arkansas. I am hopeful it will be better in the future.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Stricklin needs to be canned. Mac has done nothing to warrant a raise or an extension. In fact, he should pay the fans for being tortured with this "entertainment".

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
In fact, he should pay the fans for being tortured with this "entertainment".
:lol: Harsh but there is certainly some truth to it. I used to watch EVERY second of a UF game no matter if we were ahead by 40 or about to go into overtime. There also used to be no offseason for me when it came to UF football because almost any news was exciting to me.......Over the course of the last 3 or 4 years I've actually fallen asleep during some of our games.....in the afternoon!!!
I still hold out the slightest hope for something positive to happen this season and I'll watch the games hoping for the best for the sake of the kids playing but this staff has to instill a dominant mindset around inferior teams, no more 16-13 slugfest with MidWesternMiss. St. or even struggling with the likes of Vandy or USCe. Those games should be second half blowouts that showcase our 2's and 3's....Not to mention our offense missing in action during the FSU game....that's just getting embarrassing and puts a huge damper on the offseason for me.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
While I'm not optimistic about our chances for the upcoming season, I think there is the possibility that I could be pleasantly surprised - and that's good enough for me for now. Regardless, I'm pumped about the season with all of the home games - I'm going to have a great time tailgating, stumbling to the stadium, cheering the Orange and Blue, and then enjoying the after-game and then stumbling to bed, win or lose. It's a great time with my daughter going into her Jr. year, and enjoying being around, and being a gator (BNAG8R).

I'm as pissy as the next guy about a loss (ask my family, they don't bother trying to talk to me until Sunday), but I guess maybe I'm old enough for just a bit of perspective, and realizing that down times make the up times that much sweeter. It's been 8 years, and I'm about done with the "down time", but I know that, whether it's this year, next year, or the year after - the up will come, we'll own the leghumpers and clowns again, we'll actually be competitive with the top teams in the nation (whether it's Alabama or someone else), and all will be good.

This

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There'll be no buzz until we legitimize ourselves by beating the SEC West champion following a win over FSU. That seems like a far off reality, but I've been around long enough to realize that isn't necessarily so. Nothing stays the same forever.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
There'll be no buzz until we legitimize ourselves by beating the SEC West champion following a win over FSU. That seems like a far off reality, but I've been around long enough to realize that isn't necessarily so. Nothing stays the same forever.
Agreed. That's why I do hold out some hope. To me I really want to beat the sh!t out of FSU even more than the SEC West champion.....I know that goes against logic but......f vck logic. To me own the state first and you'll almost be guaranteed of owning the conference and the nation.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
I live in Gainesville. There's a lot of buzz here. Everyone is talking about Gators football.

When I saw this thread I immediately wondered how ticket sales were going.

In 2016 college football attendance was down nationwide yet again. It's the sixth straight year that overall attendance at college football games has dropped. Missouri saw a 20% decrease in attendance. Southern Cal experienced the smallest average attendance since 2002. The decreased crowds were everywhere - Kentucky down 12%, Stanford down 12%, Minnesota down 16%, Maryland down 11%.

That's the definition of disinterest.

Since Mac arrived, Florida has experienced the opposite of the national trend in average attendance. In Mac's 2 seasons at Florida the average attendance at the Swamp has risen 2.3%. The average crowd in 2016 was 99.2% of capacity at the Swamp.

Over 98% of season tickets for 2017 have already been sold. Mac's 2015 Gators played FSU in front of the largest crowd in the history of the Swamp. I'd be willing to bet that record will fall again this season.

I think people tend to see what they are looking for and that which furthers the chosen agenda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator