This year's offense compared to last year after 4 games

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
After 4 games: Note: for comparison purposes the OT yards / scores in the KY game were left out due to not being in regulation time.

2013 - 403 yards a game average, 24 points a game average

2014 - 387 yards a game average, 29 points a game average

Hopefully this pattern will change with Harris starting now but the trajectory has looked real bad the past 2 games where we have averaged a little over 200 yards a game and only about 15 points a game.

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
That should make a major upswing if Harris continues to play. Even in losses I think we will be around 400+ yds. He is a spark and hopefully Florida football moves fwd with him. Sorry Jeff but you've had numerous chances. How excited do you think he was after the victory? Who high fives him? Uh, yeah bro we won, uh good job.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Floridagator;n69642 said:
That should make a major upswing if Harris continues to play. Even in losses I think we will be around 400+ yds. He is a spark and hopefully Florida football moves fwd with him.

Hopefully - If we could average about 400 yards a game that would be great. Heck I would take a 360 average right now after watching the last 2 games.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Floridagator;n69642 said:
That should make a major upswing if Harris continues to play. Even in losses I think we will be around 400+ yds. He is a spark and hopefully Florida football moves fwd with him. Sorry Jeff but you've had numerous chances. How excited do you think he was after the victory? Who high fives him? Uh, yeah bro we won, uh good job.

Yeah, good job leading us to zero points and taking a knee to end the game. On a positive note you looked great riding the pine.
This should be the emoticon for Jeff Driskel from now on. :kiffin:

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Gator87;n69651 said:
Yeah, good job leading us to zero points and taking a knee to end the game. On a positive note you looked great riding the pine.
This should be the emoticon for Jeff Driskel from now on. :kiffin:
Gator87, this was after 2 weeks to prepare for their freshmen laden defense too….

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
This is a great thread. My thoughts this morning focus more on functionality rather than yardage and scoring. What I mean by this is we seem to NEVER fire on all cylinders offensively when we face true Division 1 defenses, in other words take EMU out of the equation and look at the overall performances. They are not that great.
I know some are going to say that Treon will make all the difference. Well to those I say I'm not so sure. Let me be the first to say anything should be better than what we've seen from JD, but don't be surprised if we still struggle with Treon at times. What we wanted so badly to get a way from, 2 back power running game, may be what we need to get back to at least for the rest of the season. Our WR's still are not the caliber that are needed for a full or pass heavy spread attack. They run wrong routes, line up in the wrong spots, consistently drop passes and don't block worth a damned on outside running plays. I think going back to more 2 back stuff and rotating the RB's to keep them fresh will be the key to consistently moving the chains. What was everyone saying the strength of this team was before the season started ??? Where are Brandon Powell, Adam Lane, Mack Brown and Kelvin Taylor ???

Before you burn me at the stake for saying this tell me what the most glaring weakness was on offense as a unit for the last 3 years ? It was the offensive line. Well now the offensive line is playing better and we can throw the ball a little more to the backs by motioning out of the 2 back set and also move the defense with them. We need a different look when we run for the most part because if I can telegraph it I'm sure opposing defenses can also. I don't see this as a permanent problem but Roper and Muschamp might want to consider "tweaking" it a little to get a better fit for our current personnel. I know some of you want to pass the ball all over the place but I think we probably need to stick with to playing "ugly" to get the most wins we can this year.

Phineus Maximus

Founding Member
Thread Killer
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n69683 said:
. Our WR's still are not the caliber that are needed for a full or pass heavy spread attack. They run wrong routes, line up in the wrong spots, consistently drop passes and don't block worth a damned on outside running plays.

This has plenty to do with Chris as the WR coach. I am not so sure he's qualified for that position.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The kid has thrown six passes his entire collegiate career. Six. Yes, he is a natural runner, but anyone who professes to know what he's going to do in his next SEC outing is simply pulling it out of his ass.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n69691]The kid has thrown six passes his entire collegiate career. Six. Yes, he is a natural runner, but anyone who professes to know what he's going to do in his next SEC outing is simply pulling it out of his ass. [/QUOTE]
Gotta agree. No doubt he provided a spark, but he also nearly threw a pick-six. I think we need to temper our expectations a bit on him. Even if the coaching staff starts him this week (which is still very much up in the air), will they actually let him throw the ball? We could have more grinding, conservative crap.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think the enthusiasm felt by UF fans is equal measure relief over Driskel finally being yanked and the hope of what Harris may do. It won't take much of an upgrade for us to appreciate Harris for his contributions, but the toughest stretch of the schedule is yet to come. How does he handle it when he gets pressure from the edges that hems him in the pocket? Will the receivers continue to drop catchable balls? Lots of unknowns yet to cross.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
What I saw was a kid that provided a spark and the team responded. The sideline shots were evident that the players were behind him. So he comes in and hits his first pass to Jones. Right in the hands, right on the $$$, and in full stride. We were also 9-0 when he entered. Well under his direction we scored 10 and won the game. How the game plans go if TH is in there who knows. But I really believe this will give Roper more to work with. I can deal with them watering it down a bit to get him comfortable and then add to it. Well, they've given the full monty to JD and he cannot produce. Things may get better with a leader and simplify everything. They admitting to simplifying it for the D this week. Hmmmm could work.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
TN G8tr;n69699 said:
What I saw was a kid that provided a spark and the team responded. The sideline shots were evident that the players were behind him. So he comes in and hits his first pass to Jones. Right in the hands, right on the $$$, and in full stride. We were also 9-0 when he entered. Well under his direction we scored 10 and won the game. How the game plans go if TH is in there who knows. But I really believe this will give Roper more to work with. I can deal with them watering it down a bit to get him comfortable and then add to it. Well, they've given the full monty to JD and he cannot produce. Things may get better with a leader and simplify everything. They admitting to simplifying it for the D this week. Hmmmm could work.

That's good to hear. He potentially brings two good things into the huddle: an ability to make plays that Driskel never possessed as well as (even more important) an air about him that makes his teammates believe. Everyone just wants to win. It doesn't matter who makes it happen, just that it does.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I have a feeling things like dropped balls and receivers being hit in stride will improve under Harris. Jeff gunned the ball too much when it wasn't called for.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n69704 said:
I have a feeling things like dropped balls and receivers being hit in stride will improve under Harris. Jeff gunned the ball too much when it wasn't called for.

The deflected ball pick yesterday was the direct result of Driskel applying too much heat.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I think prior to TH going in nobody believed that we were going to win any more than one or two games for the remainder of the season. I know I am prepared to watch a young quarterback struggle, but that's okay as long as he's maturing on the field and I know he's a freshman.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Gator Fever;n69704 said:

I agree JD was a YAC killer even when he did complete a pass it always seem like they have to stop or reach in a direction that keeps them from gaining anything after the catch. Don't kid yourself though a lot of problems in our passing game are on the receivers......and where in the hell is Quinton Dunbar ? Shouldn't a 5th year WR be getting 5 or more catches a game ?

G

Gatorfool

Founding Member
Founding Member
We may very well not know if Treon is any better than Jeff, but it would almost be impossible for him to be any worse, looked at JD passing stats lately????

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Better question is, why are we talking about serious quarterback and receiver deficiencies in year No. 4 of this project?

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;69723]Better question is, why are we talking about serious quarterback and receiver deficiencies in year No. 4 of this project? [/QUOTE] I totally agree! I wonder if it's because of Muschamp's influence over the offense and his blind faith of a particular QB.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
G8RNGA;n69731 said:
I totally agree! I wonder if it's because of Muschamp's influence over the offense and his blind faith of a particular QB.

I would have to say it could have a lot to do with those things not to mention his previous offensive coaching hires. On the positive side it looks like Summers is making improvements with the offensive line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator