This year's team is a success if:

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
What do you think? What is your version of success for the first team of the Mullen era?

For me this year's team is a success...

1. If the guys are much more physical on both lines of scrimmage. Even if our talent deficit doesn't allow us much success against more elite lines immediately we ought to look like we are dominating the lower tier teams with our physicality and mean streak. No more soft lineman. What I'm looking for is more an indication of the culture and attitude change rather than being able to immediately push Bama around.

2. If we find our QB for the next 2 to 3 years. I don't care necessarily if there are bumps along the way as long as someone on campus right now can run the offense and not look completely lost nearly the entire time, like Franks did last year.

3. If this team doesn't roll over in a single game like last year's team did in a couple.

4. If the staff finish with a top 10 class with positive noise for the 2020 class.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Recruiting picks up and we are top 5 by December's early signing. Top 10 (So Car, LSU, Barn level) would be some improvement (basically low average for us) but not enough to make us elite again anytime soon.

We show improvement on offense by November at least.

We make a bowl.

PS now that I think about it, I'd probably be happy regardless if Mullinz goes out and hires a handful of top recruiters for the staff regardless of what happens. Id just like to see some evidence that we are aware of what it takes and shoring up our deficiencies.

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I'm really not that worried about the W/L record - we aren't contending for championships this year. I want to see an offense that looks like it actually practices. I want to see players that look like they give a damn.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I'm really not that worried about the W/L record - we aren't contending for championships this year. I want to see an offense that looks like it actually practices. I want to see players that look like they give a damn.

Welcome to the dark side OX. I have been talking about quality of play and attention to detail, fundamentals, game management for a 100 years, but these are Gator fans, the most transient fans ever. They only give a SHYT about the end result and do not know or have any interest in process. Just see all the people who thought Butters was a success with two 9-4 years when in fact those teams were poorly coached. good luck with this one, but commit 15 penalties a game, mis manage the clock but still win the game is all the masses care about! good luck

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Welcome to the dark side OX. I have been talking about quality of play and attention to detail, fundamentals, game management for a 100 years, but these are Gator fans, the most transient fans ever. They only give a SHYT about the end result and do not know or have any interest in process. Just see all the people who thought Butters was a success with two 9-4 years when in fact those teams were poorly coached. good luck with this one, but commit 15 penalties a game, mis manage the clock but still win the game is all the masses care about! good luck
Our W/L record under both Butters and Chimp was a mirage, and it was obvious to anyone that actually watched the games. How many WINS have we had in the last 6 years where we were still miserable? It was horrific, soul-crushing football that we knew would never lead to any championships.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
What do you think? What is your version of success for the first team of the Mullen era?

For me this year's team is a success...

1. If the guys are much more physical on both lines of scrimmage. Even if our talent deficit doesn't allow us much success against more elite lines immediately we ought to look like we are dominating the lower tier teams with our physicality and mean streak. No more soft lineman. What I'm looking for is more an indication of the culture and attitude change rather than being able to immediately push Bama around.

2. If we find our QB for the next 2 to 3 years. I don't care necessarily if there are bumps along the way as long as someone on campus right now can run the offense and not look completely lost nearly the entire time, like Franks did last year.

3. If this team doesn't roll over in a single game like last year's team did in a couple.

4. If the staff finish with a top 10 class with positive noise for the 2020 class.
This!

sminings

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
Count me as another who doesn't care about the final record. Success would be a competent offense and a bunch of players flying around on defense.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Our W/L record under both Butters and Chimp was a mirage, and it was obvious to anyone that actually watched the games. How many WINS have we had in the last 6 years where we were still miserable? It was horrific, soul-crushing football that we knew would never lead to any championships.

We've been down so long it looks like up to me.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
How about resembling a real football team and being in good enough shape to play the game. I have never coached a football game in my life and I would bet I could out coach Mac. Mullen should be a huge improvement.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Beating the Noles, tired of losing to those guys. We got to take this state back, it’s been waaaay to long since we were the top program in the state.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
This team and season is a success IF ALL of the following happens:

1. UF wins 10+ games.

2. UF's scoring offense goes up by at least 7 points per game.

3. UF's total offense goes up to at least 400 yards per game.

4. UF's scoring defense is under 25 points per game.

I think if the items 2 and 3 happen, then item 1 will not be a mirage this time. Item 4 would mean UF has not traded an unbalanced reliance on defense for an unbalanced reliance on offense.

Last edited:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I hope you're not disappointed. But I don't expect this right now. :chomp:

If so UF once again hired the wrong guy. With the talent on this roster a good to very good coach should win at a minimum 10 games. To not win 10 games means that UF hired a guy that:

A. Lost to Charleston Southern or
B. Lost to UK for the first time in forever or
C. Lost to CO State. or
D. Lost at Miss State which if UF has UF standards should not happen and has a worse roster than UF and a new inexperienced coach or
E. Lost at UTn which was a bigger dumpster fire than UF last year or
F. Lost to Ed Orgeron or
G. Lost at Vandy which has a worse roster than UF or
H. Lost to Missouri which has a worse roster than UF or
I. Lost to SoCar which has a worse roster than UF and a coach UF fired or
J. Lost to Idaho

Heck one of those could happen and UF could beat FSU with a new coach or UF might beat UGa. So while 10 wins with the other things I mentioned will be a successful season, depending on how things unfold not all concern with this hire is likely to go away in one season.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If so UF once again hired the wrong guy. With the talent on this roster a good to very good coach should win at a minimum 10 games. To not win 10 games means that UF hired a guy that:

A. Lost to Charleston Southern or
B. Lost to UK for the first time in forever or
C. Lost to CO State. or
D. Lost at Miss State which if UF has UF standards should not happen and has a worse roster than UF and a new inexperienced coach or
E. Lost at UTn which was a bigger dumpster fire than UF last year or
F. Lost to Ed Orgeron or
G. Lost at Vandy which has a worse roster than UF or
H. Lost to Missouri which has a worse roster than UF or
I. Lost to SoCar which has a worse roster than UF and a coach UF fired or
J. Lost to Idaho

Heck one of those could happen and UF could beat FSU with a new coach or UF might beat UGa. So while 10 wins with the other things I mentioned will be a successful season, depending on how things unfold not all concern with this hire is likely to go away in one season.
You're in for a long year.

You're right on the cusp with AR of being so butthurt over the Butters firing that you've lost it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.