Tiger fan coming to The Swamp

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
1) If you get an expensive parking ticket contact (PM) Law98Gator here at GC. He's won several personal cases
pleading that "No Parking" signs constitute entrapment … well, to him at least.
And when you meet law he loves to chat about his two favorite gators, Will the Thrill and Jeremy Fooley.
He almost had to go into rehab when Jeremy sent Champ packing and I think he busted a blood vessel when Jeremy announced his retirement.
Seriously, LSU fans come in mass to Gainesville so you should feel good about that. Lots of bars right across from stadium and just about 18 blocks east of stadium to Main and Univ, There is a good shuttle from the Mall near you but if you have a car just North of the stadium is great. If you walk about 8 blocks you can park just N of 18th ave for free. They even have bike rickshaws to bring you over

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
at least he isnt a fat slob who has a losing record in the SEC.
No he's just the guy who has a losing record to the fat slob who has a losing record....but at least he's in good company because everyone's favorite fantasy pick from our last coaching search does too....Like I've said before nobody does Les with more than Les....

ChompTown

G8R B8
Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2015
No he's just the guy who has a losing record to the fat slob who has a losing record....but at least he's in good company because everyone's favorite fantasy pick from our last coaching search does too....Like I've said before nobody does Les with more than Les....
:shocked3: :stirpot:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
That's true, no one does less with more. But Bert could take that crown if he could recruit worth a damn.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I know why the Las Vegas stripper slut hangs off Bert Bielema, but I will never understand why anyone else would. He is the least accomplished of Arky's last four coaches and thats saying very little.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Welcome Tigerfan23! Always good to see rivals on this board, thanks for stopping in! We're looking forward to welcoming you to our fair city.

You've gotten a lot of advice, some of it good, some of it mediocre. If you are traveling with friends, trust me, there are some good stops in and around Gainesville that both you and your fellow fans will enjoy. Take it from a long time Gator fan who knows, here are your best options:

1) The best tailgating by far is in the Big Lots parking lot on the 13th street. There are generally lots of friendly fans there from both teams enjoying a barbecue and some friendly banter. Sometimes they'll have bands or DJs in the parking lot, and the open area provides lots of nice breeze. It's just a short walk to the stadium, and it's mostly shaded along the way.

2) If you're looking for a little night life, stop by Cafe Risque in the historic and quaint antiquing town of Micanopy. It's a little out of the way, (not much), but it's worth a visit if you're looking for a fun dance bar that everyone will enjoy.

3) For lodging, I recommend the Bambi motel, also on 13th street. Reserve early as this local Gainesville treasure tends to book up quickly during football season.

Good luck this season, and have a great time in Gainesville!

--Pasty

Last edited:

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
good deal. thanks guys

we can talk about the matchup once it gets closer

maybe we will run into some of yall oct. 8
Tiger
You seam like a good dude so I will tell you what are must do's in Gainesville. I was born and raised in Gainesville, now the Army has me in Texas, but every time I come home I have to go to the following.
1. Leonardo's the best damn pizza there is. Some will say Scatchels Pizza, but I the Chicago style is where its at.
2. The Swamp Resturant. Great food and awesome atmosphere pre/post game
3. Hogan hero's the best damn subs in Gainesville by far.
4. I'm not a big "Club" guy but Cowboys is pretty cool
5. I am more of a Dugout Billiards & Sports Club type of guy.

Enjoy your time and GO GATORS!

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
You didn't say when you'd come down or how long you'd stay. That would help us plan for Friday night activities as well (perhaps use that for the downtown bar scene, then use Saturday night for the mid-town bars near the stadium?). I'm not sure if you've made the drive before, but my sister went to LSU so we've made it quite a few times. It is f'n looooong. There is NOTHING in the panhandle, so stock accordingly for that part of the drive.

The recommendations for Clearwater, Jax, or other places is good if you have a day to kill, but with the long drive from BR (assume you're coming from there) you likely don't want to travel extra and ought to focus on the G'ville locations. Walking around campus for Saturday tailgating is a good one depending on the time of the game.

1. Leonardo's the best damn pizza there is. Some will say Scatchels Pizza, but I the Chicago style is where its at.
2. The Swamp Resturant. Great food and awesome atmosphere pre/post game
3. Hogan hero's the best damn subs in Gainesville by far.

I was also going to point him to Leonardo's. There are three locations around town, but 'By The Slice' is easy walking distance to the stadium being located near 13th and Univ Ave. The garlic rolls are 'world famous' and absolutely worth getting a dozen...or two. Swamp is good and right across Univ Ave from the stadium (maybe a few blocks down). Not sure where Hogan's is these days....nor if there is a Joe's Deli still around anywhere.

On the way here, you will come east on I-10. Past Tallahassee.

Plan your trip very carefully in terms of managing your gas and rest stops. You DO NOT want to have to stop in Leon County for any reason.

I had a similar recommendation, however mine would have read "Passing thru Leon County everyone should get out and piss on some building. It's not just the right thing to do, it's required."

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Florida_Blueout.JPG

The Blue area is our East Stands, and as others noted it is all students. It reeks of alcohol and they stand the whole time. The orange section up the corner, that's all visitors, and it appears that's where you'll be. I believe they put the visiting band in the lowest rows of that section - you may be sitting on top of them, but you might be just above that wall that says "Florida Gators". If it is a night game, it's all good (and will be a helluva lot of fun). If it is a day game, you'll be one of the last to escape the sun and it will be going down in your eyes. In that case, bring hats and/or sunglasses for when it gets really bad.

Section 45 should be in LSU fan territory. The south end zone, IMHO, is 1000% better than the Sunshine Seats in the north endzone, those Sunshine Seats are blazing hot, to me anyway. It is like a roasting pan up there. Also remember that ground level as you walk in is around row 45 or so. I've found on the sides the view is better from row 45 on up than lower due to the angle.

Agree, this is MUCH better than the visitor section atop the North Endzone. Also, the stadium has 90 rows, so you're half way up - deep enough to get swallowed in the noise, but high enough to have a good view of everything. You should be in good shape to watch the game.

Last edited:

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
You didn't say when you'd come down or how long you'd stay. That would help us plan for Friday night activities as well (perhaps use that for the downtown bar scene, then use Saturday night for the mid-town bars near the stadium?). I'm not sure if you've made the drive before, but my sister went to LSU so we've made it quite a few times. It is f'n looooong. There is NOTHING in the panhandle, so stock accordingly for that part of the drive.

IF you win, hanging out at any of the bars across from the stadium and watching other college football will not be an issue. Most of the Gator fans wont' try to start fights or anything, they'll be more interested in drowning their tears. At worst you'll get a "Beat Alabama so we can see you in the SECCG" and the rest of the night is drinking and yelling at games on screens all over the rooms.

IF you lose, most fans will be nice and say "Good game" though a few may try to make bad jokes or rub it in a bit. Shouldn't be too much, and hitting the bars is still viable for a good night. However, if for some reason we win in a major upset such that there will be exuberant celebrations making life difficult for a Tiger fan....you can retreat to the hotel, or choose to get the hell out of town immediately. I only write this because me and 2 friends drove to LSU for a UF game where we were majorly upset and our plans changed immediately following the game. A long day of tailgating and drinking with the plan to hang out and celebrate were quickly trashed.....but we'd already been drinking all day. We worked a 3 man rotation driving as far as you could (usually 15-20 min before you thought you'd pass out) all the way home. We were sobered up from watching the game, but exhausted and hung over - it made that long drive to be longer.

The point is to plan to hang out and watch other games at the bars, win or lose. However, have a plan B ready should you choose to get out of celebratory mayhem immediately. Maybe just head back to the hotel - that far from town won't be loud, wild, or crazy and there's still some restaurants/bars out there to watch games and enjoy yourselves in a bit of peace.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I was also going to point him to Leonardo's. There are three locations around town, but 'By The Slice' is easy walking distance to the stadium being located near 13th and Univ Ave. The garlic rolls are 'world famous' and absolutely worth getting a dozen...or two.

There's trouble brewing in G'ville.....(apologies for linking to the Sun, but that's where I stumbled across the article):

UF buys Leonardo's By the Slice

The pizza joint just east of Southwest 13th Street, has been bought by the University of Florida Foundation, and will stay open until at least summer 2017. UF officials haven't decided what to do with the property.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator