UF 2nd best rushing unit...in the nation?

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member

Taking this guy at his word, but if true and Steele has us ranked that high, are you buying?

Could he be basing this off Zaire running the read option?

Discuss.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
We have the backfield to be very very good. Now we need the big guys up front to step up this year.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Steele is the best at what he does....although I STRONGLY disagree w/ him on this one.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Steele is the best at what he does....although I STRONGLY disagree w/ him on this one.

For discussion purposes, why do you disagree? Is it the OL you're most concerned about (that's my area of concern). I think we have a really nice stable of backs and a really athletic QB, so we should be much better than last year for sure.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
For discussion purposes, why do you disagree? Is it the OL you're most concerned about (that's my area of concern). I think we have a really nice stable of backs and a really athletic QB, so we should be much better than last year for sure.

Jay, you and I had this "disagreement" a few months back when you were arguing that Scarlett is one of the best backs in the SEC. My view is that he's not in the top 6, and very likely barely cracks the top 8. Take a look at most of the All-SEC teams and he's made a few of the teams that have a 4th team All-SEC. In fact, I'd argue that he could easily be beaten out by Perine. And if he doesn't learn how to block - which is pretty damn important for a top RB to do - he's that much more likely to lose his spot...or some carries/playing time.

I do agree w/ you that we should be better running the ball due to more experience at both the OL and RB positions. But our running game was DEAD LAST in the SEC.....so how could it be worse?

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Jay, you and I had this "disagreement" a few months back when you were arguing that Scarlett is one of the best backs in the SEC. My view is that he's not in the top 6, and very likely barely cracks the top 8. Take a look at most of the All-SEC teams and he's made a few of the teams that have a 4th team All-SEC. In fact, I'd argue that he could easily be beaten out by Perine. And if he doesn't learn how to block - which is pretty damn important for a top RB to do - he's that much more likely to lose his spot...or some carries/playing time.

I do agree w/ you that we should be better running the ball due to more experience at both the OL and RB positions. But our running game was DEAD LAST in the SEC.....so how could it be worse?

Oh yea, forgot about that :lol:

We will agree to disagree about Scarlett's rushing abilities (I agree he needs a lot of work in pass protection-- hope Seider gets him right). The fact that Perine could potentially supplant Scarlett is one of the reasons I'm really optimistic for our rushing unit. Throw in Lemons and even Malik Davis combined with Zaire and I'm pretty bullish for our squad.

And yea, nowhere to go but up :lol:. OL is a year older and we've added talent/depth. Time to see what Davis can coach these guys up to do.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Last in the SEC to 2nd best in the country?

Um. Not buying. Steele hasn't really been on the mark with us recently. This is the year.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not until we have a passing game to take pressure off the running game will we have a running game that functions as a top five running today.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Wait....did we switch to the triple option? No? Phil is smoking some good stuff yo

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If you're talking about wide receiver, I think we have a top three or four wide receiver group in the nation. Question is, who can deliver them the ball?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
:lol: - Trying to think of a team that went from one of the very worst rushing teams in the entire country to the 2nd best in the country. Heck when they graded our rushing attack at pro football focus it graded well below the passing game and pass blocking believe it or not and one of the worst in all of FBS. I think we have 2 backs that are below the very elite status but that are pretty good but no way do we even get near the top 20 in rushing attacks I would think and that is even eliminating the triple option type teams etc.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Im taking under. Where do I place this bet?

Talk about easy money.

We have Chump in the SEC east so there is hope that we won't be last. but Nusschump has shown he has the ability to give Original Chump a run for his money.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
408890-64a5676c-8ce1-11e4-8ac7-a81af5c46aa9.jpg

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016

Taking this guy at his word, but if true and Steele has us ranked that high, are you buying?

Could he be basing this off Zaire running the read option?

Discuss.

I have seen the Steele magazine already this year. I never miss it. I thought what i read was that he had us ranked #2 in the SEC not the country. He also has us with the #2 Rec unit in the SEC.
I don't see how we could make the jump from worst to first. But our O line should be a lot better this year with a bunch Freshmen that are sophomores now. Also Scarlett is a special back. Perine too. With a QB that can run, they'll probably have huge holes to run through.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We do need the passing game to at least keep teams honest. I will say this, the OLine was different after McCoy was inserted in the lineup. The had better push and more aggressiveness. Can they manhandle people? Haven't shown it yet, but Taylor and McCoy are putting in the work.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I have seen the Steele magazine already this year. I never miss it. I thought what i read was that he had us ranked #2 in the SEC not the country. He also has us with the #2 Rec unit in the SEC.
I don't see how we could make the jump from worst to first. But our O line should be a lot better this year with a bunch Freshmen that are sophomores now. Also Scarlett is a special back. Perine too. With a QB that can run, they'll probably have huge holes to run through.

Hmm well I wonder if it is SEC or the nation...both hard to believe IMO. We should be top half of the SEC if everything clicks and our OL plays with more fire under Davis. Going to be interesting boys!

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
It's got to be in the conference and I'm still not buying it. I suppose Auburn would be 1 in their run happy offense, but with that QB they just got maybe they'll throw a lot more. Either way I would see us behind Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU and maybe Arkansas, not sure what they have returning but they seem to be able to run the ball usually. So honestly I can't see us moving much higher than 5 or 6 in the conference. Still that would be a great improvement from last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator