UF pilfers FAU to hire Kerry Dixon II as WR coach

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
KCgator;n161848 said:
I'm fairly certain his biggest priority right now is securing a recruiting class. I'd rather he spend every waking hour doing that. A WR coach is not critical at this instant.
So having one more coach out on the recruiting trail working for us is not important? :headscratch:

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
-THE DUDE-;n161830 said:
I think whoever it is we are going to hire is finishing recruiting for their team and will be named shortly after NSD
So we're more concerned with letter our future coach recruit for someone else rather than us? :headscratch:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n161890 said:
So having one more coach out on the recruiting trail working for us is not important? :headscratch:

So right Tag … like a "known-name" WR coach wouldn't help pull some excellent WR recruits the Clemsons are getting ?

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
jereed16;n161860 said:
I was told this was a dumb idea when I posted that thought.

they only thought it was dumb when you posted it, not when Dude posted it.

They're weird like that around here.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
rogdochar;n161892 said:
So right Tag … like a "known-name" WR coach wouldn't help pull some excellent WR recruits the Clemsons are getting ?

Can you name Clemson's wide receiver coach without using a search engine? I don't think recruits necessarily go to a school based on their position coach having had some success in college or the NFL. Like any working relationship there has to be some level of comfort in place.

That being said, it is puzzling that no one has been hired as yet.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Since65;n161904 said:
Can you name Clemson's wide receiver coach without using a search engine? I don't think recruits necessarily go to a school based on their position coach having had some success in college or the NFL. Like any working relationship there has to be some level of comfort in place.

That being said, it is puzzling that no one has been hired as yet.

OK … but it was reference first to Clemson "swiping" some top state o' florida guys and the plural s I put on Clemsons was
intended to indicate the several Clemson-like schools reaping good florida boys that turn out to be stars : Mike Davis,
Sammy Watson. We sure could have used those recruits. Clemson-like schools shouldn't be capable of better recruit
attraction than the University of Florida and the Swamp.

Beside all that … you're right no WR coach hire is baffling. Our looks for explanation only
come up with a dumbfounding feeling.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n161817 said:
All I know is Coach Mac said we'd be thrilled with the hire.
He also said we'd be thrilled with the offense or that it would be fun or he liked to APPLY the pressure and that's what it's all about....
We do the hoooooo...key pokey? wtf's going on?

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
rogdochar;n161911 said:
OK … but it was reference first to Clemson "swiping" some top state o' florida guys and the plural s I put on Clemsons was
intended to indicate the several Clemson-like schools reaping good florida boys that turn out to be stars : Mike Davis,
Sammy Watson. We sure could have used those recruits. Clemson-like schools shouldn't be capable of better recruit
attraction than the University of Florida and the Swamp.

Beside all that … you're right no WR coach hire is baffling. Our looks for explanation only
come up with a dumbfounding feeling.

As others have said, the reason these all-star Florida grown offensive recruits have gone elsewhere of late is because of UF's boring scheme and struggles to move the ball. If I was watching Clemson's offense on tv and then watched the Gators, even in a winning effort, the Tigers game plan would have a lot more appeal.

There needs to be a major schematic shift in offensive approach (and it appears there will be) before the top offensive talent is anxious to return to Gainesville.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
MJMGator;n161846 said:
Debose is considering their offer.

No doubt in my mind he could show our WR's proper route running technique. My only concern would be his ability on the recruiting trail. At some point is there just too much of an age gap for these HS kids to relate to him?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n161929 said:
You bet your ass that recruits are noticing that we could not convince a WR coach to come to Florida. Also this fact is being used for negative recruiting against Florida. "Well they can't even convince a good WR coach to go, why should you go? They don't even have a coaching staff in place"

Shut up, Will.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I unfortunately have the notion that recruits are saying why should I play for Florida? It may take 2-3 years to get competitive again, while Auburn, Clemson, etc will be competitive next year. I suppose recruits are looking at it from that perspective. I hope I am wrong.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n161938 said:
You dont thing recruits havent noticed that we dont have a WR coach yet? If you were a WR why would you commit when you dont even know who your coach will be? There has to be a reason why we are having such an unprecedented disaster with recruiting.

It has nothing to do with a WR coach. There are a number of unfilled positions around the country. Four years of WM has put us in the place we're in.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n161938 said:
You dont thing recruits havent noticed that we dont have a WR coach yet? If you were a WR why would you commit when you dont even know who your coach will be? There has to be a reason why we are having such an unprecedented disaster with recruiting.

There is a reason, the performance of our offense the last 6 years. Most of these recruits have been watching football probably for a decade with some form of knowledge of the game. 6 of those years (yes I'm including the 2009 campaign) our offense against any quality opponent has been questionable. A few bright spots, but mostly questionable passing game, and a lot of running up the middle. The last 6 years we had the gallery of misfit offensive coordinators, Addazio, Weis, Pease, and Roper a whose who of what the **** did they really accomplish. If I'm an offensive recruit thinking about Florida, especially at Wide Receiver you have to go back to 2004 (probably further) to see a dynamic passing offense. That is what offensive recruits are thinking.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n161953 said:
There are other programs that were a mess as well, but they seem to be smoking us. When WM was here, people were saying it was Urbs falult. Now we have coach Mac and they are blaming the recruiting woes and lack of a WR on WM. WM has something to do with where we are, but other programs that have issues are doing much better than we are. We lost someone to Syracuse. When is that last time that happened?

So, let's just cry endlessly about it. Look...we are where we are right now. These are not the glory days of SOS and Meyer. Hopefully, Mac can lead us back there but it's going to be an uphill battle for sure. I strongly suggest that everyone take a deep breath, relax and temper your expectations. We need to give Mac a few years before we start rumbling about him and his staff...he's inherited a dumpster fire.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Gatoravatara;n161953 said:
We lost someone to Syracuse. When is that last time that happened?
I don't know what you are even talking about right now. You know that lineman picks tonight, right?

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
MJMGator;n161846 said:
Debose is considering their offer.

Unpossible, he played WR and might know something. I think the real plan was to move Driskel from QB to WR coach, but he jumped ship to play one more year at LT. As such, we'll retain leak for another year as placeholder until Driskel becomes available. He's a Gator Alum that bleeds O&B, he knows the players, he's worked with recievers in the past. I'm telling you, it's an inside job that got unexpectedly bumped for a year. Hide and watch.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I've previously read that Mac has told some recruits that he knows who the new coach is but couldn't announce it yet. Now rumor has it that he is still interviewing people this week. I don't think he would flat our lie to recruits like that. My guess is that Mac had a guy he wanted to hire, a deal was almost made, but the guy changed his mind leaving Mac to do a new search. Now that it's a crucial recruiting period, he hasn't been able to dedicate as much time into this hire as he or any of us would like, which is why it is taking so long. I'm sure if he had his way, Coach Mac would of had a guy hired weeks ago.

I don't know this as fact. Just my personal speculation as to what is going on. Another guess that I have is that we'll know who the coach is at this time next week, maybe (hopefully) sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator