UF pilfers FAU to hire Kerry Dixon II as WR coach

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
GatorJB;n161974 said:
I've previously read that Mac has told some recruits that he knows who the new coach is but couldn't announce it yet. Now rumor has it that he is still interviewing people this week. I don't think he would flat our lie to recruits like that. My guess is that Mac had a guy he wanted to hire, a deal was almost made, but the guy changed his mind leaving Mac to do a new search. Now that it's a crucial recruiting period, he hasn't been able to dedicate as much time into this hire as he or any of us would like, which is why it is taking so long. I'm sure if he had his way, Coach Mac would of had a guy hired weeks ago.

I don't know this as fact. Just my personal speculation as to what is going on. Another guess that I have is that we'll know who the coach is at this time next week, maybe (hopefully) sooner.

My thinking as well. I will say someone posted a few weeks ago that at this stage, we should've just announced that we're retaining Leak at the position to save face and show stability, and I agree. Doesn't mean we can't switch things up after NSD, and continue pursuing someone. But leaving it open through NSD seems silly to me. Even in a worst case scenario where we kept him on for another year, our WRs weren't any worse last year than in recent years. Given how badly we need Davis and some other Ath/WR types, I don't think we can afford to approach this as casually as we have.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n161962 said:
...he's inherited a dumpster fire.

I don't think this fact can be stressed enough. Our program flat out stunk the last few years. We had only something like 8 recruits rated as 3 stars heading into the final stretch of recruiting season when Mac was hired. 8!!! And most of those were not in positions of most need. Other than Ivey, the only big names we had that were considering us were on defense, which as we know was Muschamp's comfort zone and apparently the only area that he had much success recruiting. So now Mac has to contend with Muschamp going to Auburn, who is already a contender with a good offense, and taking the defensive guys he's been wooing for years. Mac got the double Muschamp whammy and was behind the 8 ball coming in. But that excuse will last for exactly one recruiting year. By next year if we are not raking in top recruits I think it is a sign that we are screwed for a long long time.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Since65;n161922 said:
As others have said, the reason these all-star Florida grown offensive recruits have gone elsewhere of late is because of UF's boring scheme and struggles to move the ball. If I was watching Clemson's offense on tv and then watched the Gators, even in a winning effort, the Tigers game plan would have a lot more appeal.

There needs to be a major schematic shift in offensive approach (and it appears there will be) before the top offensive talent is anxious to return to Gainesville.
Wait til they see some good ole pound the middle until its nothing but a bloody effin heap 9-6 3 OT Bammer vs LSU Nusschamp Ball.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
soflagator;n161980 said:
My thinking as well. I will say someone posted a few weeks ago that at this stage, we should've just announced that we're retaining Leak at the position to save face and show stability, and I agree. Doesn't mean we can't switch things up after NSD, and continue pursuing someone. But leaving it open through NSD seems silly to me. Even in a worst case scenario where we kept him on for another year, our WRs weren't any worse last year than in recent years. Given how badly we need Davis and some other Ath/WR types, I don't think we can afford to approach this as casually as we have.
Its also clear that Leak wants to stay at UF and doesn't care what position it is. At minimum I would have left him as interim WR coach and put him, his SEC & MNC Championship rings and his good name out on the recruiting trail for us until a WR coach is hired. Instead, Leak is sitting in a broom closet somewhere in the bowels of BHG waiting for an assignment while some guy named Drew(?) is recruiting for us.

Whatever.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n161987 said:
If you were a recruit and this had happened to you, then you might not believe other things coach Mac said. I am not saying it is his fault why we cant seem to get a good WR coach. But you have to look at it from the mind of a recruit and his family.

It's very possible that Mac had follow up visits with these recruits and said something like, "Well it's not going to work out with the guy I was going to hire, but that's OK. A lot of times things end up better when they don't work out they way you planned. I'm confident that we're going to the best guy for the job. I already have a few great coaches in mind."

Again, I just made all of this up, but it could have happened.

GatorBenji

Sep 6, 2014
MidwestChomp;n161941 said:
I unfortunately have the notion that recruits are saying why should I play for Florida? It may take 2-3 years to get competitive again, while Auburn, Clemson, etc will be competitive next year. I suppose recruits are looking at it from that perspective. I hope I am wrong.
2-3 years? Have you seen what the SEC East has become?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
GatorTAG;n161995 said:
Its also clear that Leak wants to stay at UF and doesn't care what position it is. At minimum I would have left him as interim WR coach and put him, his SEC & MNC Championship rings and his good name out on the recruiting trail for us until a WR coach is hired. Instead, Leak is sitting in a broom closet somewhere in the bowels of BHG waiting for an assignment while some guy named Drew(?) is recruiting for us.

Whatever.

Yeah, as I said, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If we can't announce it while there's still time to have an impact before NSD, then it doesn't really matter if it's a "big name" that we'd be thrilled with or not. I'd rather have someone there that we can point to. The fact that he's a Gator and NC winner makes it that much better.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n161980 said:

The Leak situation was tricky. My guess is that Mac saw potential in Leak, wanted to retain him in some compacity, but knew he wasn't ready to be a WR coach. If you keep Leak on as WR coach and replace him next year, then you risk losing him for good. I don't think there were any win-win scenarios in what happened, and we really won't know until next year as to how much this delay in hiring a guy will hurt or help. If he hires a great coach, the WRs show great improvement this season, and he helps bring in a great class next year, then the hiring delay was worth it imo.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I disagree with announcing Leak, even interim. It says "we couldn't do it and we're settling for last years coach", and then if we do announce a replacement later? "Oh, we were just kidding about Leak, you shouldn't believe anything we say." As much time as I spend with managing people's expectations, the bruise of not having announced already is better continued at this point with a recovery of a clear and solid hire later than a step back and another step forward (we hope?). At least with it as it is now, coaches can tell kids either a-the first choice is still coming just not announced for business reasons, or b-the first choice backed out but second choice is lined up and coming soon; and keep that between JMac and the kids rather than out in the public eye.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MidwestChomp;n161857 said:
After the past 4 years he looked at the roster and said we don't need a WR coach we need a miracle worker.

Jesus? I'd be really impressed with Coach Mac if he could pull that off.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
TLB;n162021 said:
I disagree with announcing Leak, even interim. It says "we couldn't do it and we're settling for last years coach", and then if we do announce a replacement later? "Oh, we were just kidding about Leak, you shouldn't believe anything we say." As much time as I spend with managing people's expectations, the bruise of not having announced already is better continued at this point with a recovery of a clear and solid hire later than a step back and another step forward (we hope?). At least with it as it is now, coaches can tell kids either a-the first choice is still coming just not announced for business reasons, or b-the first choice backed out but second choice is lined up and coming soon; and keep that between JMac and the kids rather than out in the public eye.

I doubt any WR was picking us solely because of Leak. He's not even a proven commodity at this point. It just would've been someone and given recruits a feeling of stability. As for settling, I'm not sure how it would be any different than Summers, or any of the coaches that we kept in limbo for a little while and then parted ways with. And to be honest, at this stage, that perception of settling only grows with every day. Imagine if he can't land who he's targeting and we announce in March that we're keeping Leak. How much worse would that look?

But my point was that if we have a big name(or names) that we're confident we eventually land, I can't imagine those recruits would have any issue working with him, even though they committed under the assumption that Leak would be their coach. I just didn't see a lot to lose by retaining him.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
GatorJB;n162014 said:
The Leak situation was tricky. My guess is that Mac saw potential in Leak, wanted to retain him in some compacity, but knew he wasn't ready to be a WR coach. If you keep Leak on as WR coach and replace him next year, then you risk losing him for good. I don't think there were any win-win scenarios in what happened, and we really won't know until next year as to how much this delay in hiring a guy will hurt or help. If he hires a great coach, the WRs show great improvement this season, and he helps bring in a great class next year, then the hiring delay was worth it imo.

Yeah, I just think we could've had both.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n161992 said:
Wait til they see some good ole pound the middle until its nothing but a bloody effin heap 9-6 3 OT Bammer vs LSU Nusschamp Ball.

:alone:

ALL YOU FRIGGIN DO...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hikarious bc all you friggin do is bytch about all I do. Check out Ox' video. It will show you how to avoid seeing my posts.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Law98gator;n162049 said:
Hikarious bc all you friggin do is bytch about all I do. Check out Ox' video. It will show you how to avoid seeing my posts.

After a couple of great posts you seem to be digressing.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
MidwestChomp;n161941 said:
I unfortunately have the notion that recruits are saying why should I play for Florida? It may take 2-3 years to get competitive again, while Auburn, Clemson, etc will be competitive next year. I suppose recruits are looking at it from that perspective. I hope I am wrong.
Where was Auburn 3 years ago?

Albert

Enormous Member
Aug 22, 2014
Law98gator;n161992 said:
Trust me, if we are beating someone 9-3 in the SECCG, they'll notice. And if we win said game, then who really cares?

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This reminds me of the episode from The Office where Michael promised everyone he had a big special treat for them at the end of the day. He ended up buying them ice cream sandwiches. I wonder who our ice cream sandwich is going to be?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n161992 said:

That was one game in their season.... lets look at the other scores:

Kent State 48-7
@ # 23 Penn State 27-11
North Texas 41-0
# 14 Arkansas 38-14
@#12 Florida 38-10
Vanderbilt 34-0
@Ole Miss 52-7
Tennesse 37-6
#1 LSU 6-9 OT (only loss)
Mississppi State 24-7
Georgia Southern 45-21
@Auburn 42-14
#1 LSU NCG 21-0

I would say 6-9 in OT was the outlier of the data set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator