UF's Next Football Head Coach

dphgator96

Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
Since65;n85076 said:
I'm not sure that there is one candidate who would be a unanimous home run amongst fans and experts. I don't envision any successful NFL coach (current or former) taking the job. There are arguments against all the popular names in the discussion (Mullen, Stoops, etc.)
I like a lot of what I've seen/heard about Gary Patterson at TCU. They have struggled some since entering the Big 12 but he has limited resources to compete with the OU's of the conference. He's been there 12 years so perhaps he's like Chris Peterson and enjoys the niche he's built there and wouldn't leave.
I would agree with those who are advocating for a search committee of more than one. Absolutely against anyone without successful head coaching experience. No more up and coming coordinators!

I agree with Patterson also.....this guy wins with 2 and 3 star recruits. He would think our roster would be an emarrasment of riches. I think he has a defensive background but his team is scoring some points and he is proven. Not sure if anyone available or willing to come has done more with less than Patterson (assuming Patterson would come).

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
dphgator96;n85308 said:
I agree with Patterson also.....this guy wins with 2 and 3 star recruits. He would think our roster would be an emarrasment of riches. I think he has a defensive background but his team is scoring some points and he is proven. Not sure if anyone available or willing to come has done more with less than Patterson (assuming Patterson would come).

Patterson is a good call.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Haven't read all the pages, but I did read that Mike Shanahan's contract expires after the 2014 season. I doubt he would come to UF, but I do think he'd be a great fit. If UF is willing to go $5-6MM, we would at least get his attention. He'd be my favorite pick. I'd gladly give a little bit on having an "explosive" offense in favor of an offense that executes with minimal errors.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
G 2;n85343 said:
He went 4-8 last year just like us! He would fit right in.

Exactly Patterson had like 3 of 4 good years out 10 or so

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Ok Patterson's record isn't terrible but I'm hoping for an offensive guy just because we've been god awful on that side of the ball for the last 5 years that has to be addressed

dphgator96

Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
t-gator;n85572 said:
Exactly Patterson had like 3 of 4 good years out 10 or so

He has had six 11 plus win seasons in the last ten years (and looking good this year) and is 125-45 as a head coach. Maybe not a homerun but a good and realistic choice at this point imo. Maybe a homerun will open up... who knows.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Shanahan??? Please no. Bring back Zook before getting some old geezer / has been. The only way I want Shanahan is if Elway follows him to play QB.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
dphgator96;n85583 said:
He has had six 11 plus win seasons in the last ten years (and looking good this year) and is 125-45 as a head coach. Maybe not a homerun but a good and realistic choice at this point imo. Maybe a homerun will open up... who knows.

We could definitely do worse

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Homer J;n85585 said:
Shanahan??? Please no. Bring back Zook before getting some old geezer / has been. The only way I want Shanahan is if Elway follows him to play QB.

Shanahan would be an upgrade to what we have now. And Elway?......yeah bring horse face to Gainesville. We have a little unfinished Tebow business to discuss with him.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
He'd be worth looking into. Has College, NFL, and now HC experience and was an OC at Bama for 3 years so he knows the SEC.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Patterson's a great coach, don't be fooled by his lackluster record the last few seasons. He had to make the jump from the Mountain West to the Big 12 with a team built for the Mountain West. No easy task. But he's got them playing some spectacular football right now. His name isn't as sexy in a coaching search as it was a few years ago when he went undefeated and won the Rose Bowl, but he'd be a solid hire at worst, slam dunk at best.

I just don't want to see names like Leach, Briles, Holgorson, or Rich Rod brought up anymore. We're looking for a coach that knows how to run a balanced program (and when I say balanced, I mean great on offense AND defense). Hiring one of those guys would just patch up the offense, but the defense would drop to where TAMU's at right now with Sumlin at the helm. I absolutely love Kevin Sumlin as a football coach, and even lobbied for him as a replacement earlier in the season, but until he can prove to me that he knows how to coach a team with a defense, keep him far away from Gainesville.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The more and more that we go through this thread we start to see there a quite a few viable candidates. But yes lets get someone that knows offense but loves to have a good Defense.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Steve-Addazio.jpg

Rooting like heck for him on 11/22 however.........

Also, another one I'll be rooting for is Petrino on 10/.30. Offensive guru, if he could only keep his pants on around the blonde interns.........

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Face it, who ever our next coach is there will be a loud contingent who will think it's a terrible pick.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
TN G8tr;n85993 said:
The more and more that we go through this thread we start to see there a quite a few viable candidates. But yes lets get someone that knows offense but loves to have a good Defense.

Patterson would honestly qualify the best if we're talking balanced head coaches.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n86013 said:
Patterson would honestly qualify the best if we're talking balanced head coaches.

We both know Pete Lembo would be more balanced.:dance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator