Status
Not open for further replies.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
And what does that have to do with the fact he doesn't have to pay for official visits or paying for unofficial visits? Nothing.
The point is, we aren't getting him because we gave him pizza ;)

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Who are the decent plan B's we have a shot at again?

I think our best shot at a Plan B is flipping Jarren Williams from Kentucky or trying to get Joe Milton to flip from Michigan. Other than that we're really dipping into the ham-and-egger's (3-stars).

Well, maybe Jake Allen will be a stud?? :D

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Why would a top tier qb come to Florida who wants a career in the NFL? Unless he has been a Florida lifer, it's a poor business decision at this point in time.
The perception was that Grier was improving under Mac and that he was playing behind a makeshift line. Mac probably also gets credit for McCarron and even McElroy, who many believe have overachieved on their talent. Not to mention that 2* QB at CSU who got a lot of hype. Not saying he is due a lot of credit, but it certainly can be perceived that way.

If either of these QB's see an offense that consistently gets WRs open with a line that can reasonably hold a pocket, we are in contention. Meaning if they see the current QB as the only problem, then they can compete to start from day 1 and have the potential of making a big name their Fr year

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not throwing in the towel on this one. There is a long time until signing day. I don't think either of these guys are a slam dunk. I have a friend who went to UGA who seems pretty confident that Fields is going to UGA... who knows.

I do think we have a chance based on how we perform during the season. If the offense is doing great and the team is winning it changes things.

As far as pizza... I don't think that is a big deal. This kid is not making a decision based on what food he is served. For all we know... he asked for pizza.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The perception was that Grier was improving under Mac and that he was playing behind a makeshift line. Mac probably also gets credit for McCarron and even McElroy, who many believe have overachieved on their talent. Not to mention that 2* QB at CSU who got a lot of hype. Not saying he is due a lot of credit, but it certainly can be perceived that way.

If either of these QB's see an offense that consistently gets WRs open with a line that can reasonably hold a pocket, we are in contention. Meaning if they see the current QB as the only problem, then they can compete to start from day 1 and have the potential of making a big name their Fr year

So we have a large sample size of Grier improving under Mac? Outside of 3 quarters (UT and Ole Miss) there wasn't much to see. What if Grier takes off in UWV offense (which his stats should explode in that offense)? He does get some credit for McElroy did over achieve (2008/2009), but McCarron (2010/2011) was a blue chip prospect surrounded by other blue chip prospects. Though McCarron's two best statistical seasons happened under Nussmeier (2012/2013).

But the premise comes down to a huge "IF" at this point. If they see a functional offense in the future. As of today, if you are a quarterback looking to go to the NFL, what does UF have to offer. Last 3000 passer Tebow 2007, also last 1st round qb in 2010. We are talking a decade ago for a 3000 yard season, and 7 years ago with the first round draft pick. Tebow might be the last drafted quarterback we have had. This kids were 6-8 when we had our last 3000 yard passer and 9-11 when our last quarterback of substance drafted.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So we have a large sample size of Grier improving under Mac? Outside of 3 quarters (UT and Ole Miss) there wasn't much to see. What if Grier takes off in UWV offense (which his stats should explode in that offense)? He does get some credit for McElroy did over achieve (2008/2009), but McCarron (2010/2011) was a blue chip prospect surrounded by other blue chip prospects. Though McCarron's two best statistical seasons happened under Nussmeier (2012/2013).

But the premise comes down to a huge "IF" at this point. If they see a functional offense in the future. As of today, if you are a quarterback looking to go to the NFL, what does UF have to offer. Last 3000 passer Tebow 2007, also last 1st round qb in 2010. We are talking a decade ago for a 3000 yard season, and 7 years ago with the first round draft pick. Tebow might be the last drafted quarterback we have had. This kids were 6-8 when we had our last 3000 yard passer and 9-11 when our last quarterback of substance drafted.
Slow your roll tootsie. In reference to Grier, I said perception. Don't get your panties in a wad. And in reference to McCarron, he has outperformed his NFL expectations. He doesn't have a huge arm so who gets credit for his success in the league. He's no Aaron Rodgers but he's no Christian Ponder or EJ Manuel either.

Just because someone is a blue chipper, it doesn't mean it's based on NFL expectations, which someone like Fields cares about. It's based on college expectations.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Slow your roll tootsie. In reference to Grier, I said perception. Don't get your panties in a wad. And in reference to McCarron, he has outperformed his NFL expectations. He doesn't have a huge arm so who gets credit for his success in the league. He's no Aaron Rodgers but he's no Christian Ponder or EJ Manuel either.

Just because someone is a blue chipper, it doesn't mean it's based on NFL expectations, which someone like Fields cares about. It's based on college expectations.

Perception by? Was the production Grier or McElwain? What has McElwain shown with any other prospect? Those are the logic questions any prospect has to make. The issues are more than McElwain, it's organizational.

McCarron was a fifth round prospect, and has done well for a backup. He hasn't been asked to a starter like the three you listed.

Last edited:

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Perception by? Was the production Grier or McElwain? What has McElwain shown with any other prospect? Those are the logic questions any prospect has to make. The issues are more than McElwain, it's organizational.

McCarron was a fifth round prospect, and has done well for a backup. He hasn't been asked to a started like the three you listed.
He started 4 games to finish the 2015 season

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If either of these QB's see an offense that consistently gets WRs open with a line that can reasonably hold a pocket, we are in contention.
That is exactly what they saw last year. What they didn't see was a line that remotely knows how to run block and an OC that has any clue what he's doing once we go away from what is scripted.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He started 4 games to finish the 2015 season

And that doesn't make him the backup quarterback, how? In 2015 starting in place of starter Andy Dalton he was 79/119 66.4% 6 td to 2 ints. I though he played very well against the steelers in the playoffs. But he is still the backup.

AJ McCarron started 4 games

EJ Manuel started 17 games
Christian Ponder started 26 games
Aaron Rodgers started 135 games

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
And that doesn't make him the backup quarterback, how? In 2015 starting in place of starter Andy Dalton he was 79/119 66.4% 6 td to 2 ints. I though he played very well against the steelers in the playoffs. But he is still the backup.

AJ McCarron started 4 games

EJ Manuel started 17 games
Christian Ponder started 26 games
Aaron Rodgers started 135 games
You're right, he's had zero NFL success. Mac should disavow the relationship. Fields should go to FSU because Jumbo's guys started. They literally sucked a dick playing, but they started. We'll just wait for Mac to get someone to start for a shytty NFL team and put up shytty numbers and the QBs will come a running

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That is exactly what they saw last year. What they didn't see was a line that remotely knows how to run block and an OC that has any clue what he's doing once we go away from what is scripted.
Exactly, except against LSU we actually wore down their defense a bit. And I don't think anyone is defending Nuss, but I think the system is capable of working very well

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
You're right, he's had zero NFL success. Mac should disavow the relationship. Fields should go to FSU because Jumbo's guys started. They literally sucked a dick playing, but they started. We'll just wait for Mac to get someone to start for a shytty NFL team and put up shytty numbers and the QBs will come a running
His point is simple...Jimbo has coached several 1st round draft picks at QB while Mac has been begging any transfer in the country to come play for him because he hasn't done sh*t at the position since he was with Saban as an OC.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Exactly, except against LSU we actually wore down their defense a bit. And I don't think anyone is defending Nuss, but I think the system is capable of working very well
They have a system? Appears to me they have a solid set of scripted plays to begin the game and then it's a joke.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
His point is simple...Jimbo has coached several 1st round draft picks at QB while Mac has been begging any transfer in the country to come play for him because he hasn't done sh*t at the position since he was with Saban as an OC.
He's also saying that recruits will study and analyze these things. Well both of those two QBs draft position had nothing to do with Jimbo. EJ was drafted on measurables and Ponder was drafted that high because the draft was so weak. Jimbo had nothing to do with it. I'm not saying Mac is a Guru, but he's not outclassed in coaching by Jimbo. Hell, he took a 3* at CSU and turned him into a 3rd Rd pick. Not sure about hand size but Fields already has the measurables. He's smart so he'll pass that test they give them. All he really has to do is stay healthy and not suck.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
He's also saying that recruits will study and analyze these things. Well both of those two QBs draft position had nothing to do with Jimbo. EJ was drafted on measurables and Ponder was drafted that high because the draft was so weak. Jimbo had nothing to do with it. I'm not saying Mac is a Guru, but he's not outclassed in coaching by Jimbo. Hell, he took a 3* at CSU and turned him into a 3rd Rd pick. Not sure about hand size but Fields already has the measurables. He's smart so he'll pass that test they give them. All he really has to do is stay healthy and not suck.
I think they look at the offensive production as well. Mac appears to be totally outclassed by a Jimbo as HC in every aspect of the game. Any outsider has to see it that way.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The LSU game gave me so much hope with our OL. Only to disappoint me later.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The LSU game gave me so much hope with our OL. Only to disappoint me later.
Honestly, I think the LSU win was more about poor coaching, and an unfocused and prideful opponent. Because of that they had numerous unforced errors and turnovers, especially near the goal line that kept them from scoring early. A little bit of focus and they would have scored at least one of those times near the goal line. We were dialed in and focused (give mac credit there) even if our offensive performance was still awful.

That was just one of those games where sloppy and undisciplined play stemming from overconfidence bit a team in the butt much more than it was a statement about who Florida is and what they are capable of. I don't think there's any real take-aways from that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.