Way Too Early BB Top 25 for 2017

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Anybody know how many roster spots we will have? Heard about a recruit that really wants in, think we should do everything we can to get this guy...

If we lose both Egbunu and DRob, we will have 5 spots available. Okauru is currently waiting to sign his LOI dependent on one of those two not coming back.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
If we lose both Egbunu and DRob, we will have 5 spots available. Okauru is currently waiting to sign his LOI dependent on one of those two not coming back.
Hopefully 1 of those comes back. We need at least 2 scholarships open for the following year and we really don't need to be taking any more recruits unless we lose someone else (transfer or leaving early next season)

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member

You didn't watch the video, did you? :lol:

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I am really excited to see how Gak, Stone and Hester develop heading into next year.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I don't see Hayes at forward at all unless he really develops his handles and shot. He's an undersized center but makes up for it with his athleticism and quickness.

Well:

1. My prediction is based on who UF might have on its roster next year and the possibility of losing 3 forwards, Robinson, Leon and Barry all at once.

2. UF once played two centers at once, that led to a couple of pretty good seasons.

3. You are right those two centers were very good ball handlers particularly for NCAA centers and Hayes has not shown his handle is at that level.

4. Hayes would do well to work on his handle this off season.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Well:

1. My prediction is based on who UF might have on its roster next year and the possibility of losing 3 forwards, Robinson, Leon and Barry all at once.

2. UF once played two centers at once, that led to a couple of pretty good seasons.

3. You are right those two centers were very good ball handlers particularly for NCAA centers and Hayes has not shown his handle is at that level.

4. Hayes would do well to work on his handle this off season.

IF Hayes can grow in those areas he would be unstoppable. He's got a solid looking shot, but he hasn't shown any ability to be able to hit jumpers consistently (or at all really). A Hayes/Gak combo would be huge.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
FYI = Hudson played lots of minutes & did well for VT. Hudson played at VT for his freshman & sophomore years. He then transferred here. So he has 2 years of eligibility. He's not a graduate transfer. That's why he had to sit out a year. I hope he practiced well and gets even better. Because of what white did this year, we can dream higher for next year.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Hayes doesn't need 20 lbs of muscle. He's ling and he's a leaper. I don't know how well he'd carry it. I also fully expect okauru to be our 2nd pg. If that answers 2 of your questions.

I do appreciate his athleticism but I don't see him as a 4 due to his lack of shooting touch and ball handling so he will need to stay at the 5. If so, he must gain 20 pounds or we can continue to watch him get pushed completely out of the lane by nearly every team in the SEC. I am assuming that Egbunu is gone and if so, Hayes and Gak must both get stronger. Big John could not be out muscled and we need to duplicate that attribute with next years team or we will struggle with physical teams just like we did in the last month of the season.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I do appreciate his athleticism but I don't see him as a 4 due to his lack of shooting touch and ball handling so he will need to stay at the 5. If so, he must gain 20 pounds or we can continue to watch him get pushed completely out of the lane by nearly every team in the SEC. I am assuming that Egbunu is gone and if so, Hayes and Gak must both get stronger. Big John could not be out muscled and we need to duplicate that attribute with next years team or we will struggle with physical teams just like we did in the last month of the season.
I just think that's who he is. He's an undersized center. If he keeps his bounce atleast he's still a good shot blocker and finisher at the rim. I think we have to live with his flaws and hope gak develops and hopefully stokes can eventually become a banger.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I am really excited to see how Gak, Stone and Hester develop heading into next year.

I generally agree but think Stone is pretty well established but can get better. I think we know a lot about Gak, but of course he needs to get stronger and gain experience. Hester is more of an unknown. I doubt he makes all of his two point shot next year.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Referring to Hayes' poor shooting touch :
1) Egbunu shot 130 times at a 49.2%
2) Hayes shot 127 times at a 60.6%

The only 2 Gators that shot better % were Gak at 66.7% and Hester at 65.2%. For upcoming expectations, 90% of Hester's shooting was from the arc. That's some excitement coming for us next year when those 2 get much more minutes of playing time. Effective Gators are being molded. Thanks CEO coach White.

PS>> Hester was 11-19 from 3pts (57.9% in 3s!) and 4-4 (100%) from inside the arc. No close to the basket shots from him. Think, if White can mold Hester so he and Allen can play outside together,
what pressure that could take off Allen (include mental pressure) plus what a better FG% we'd have, double-plus how it would force defenses to thin out vs our inside guys.??

Last edited:

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I generally agree but think Stone is pretty well established but can get better. I think we know a lot about Gak, but of course he needs to get stronger and gain experience. Hester is more of an unknown. I doubt he makes all of his two point shot next year.
But can he make 40% of his threes and 80% at the free throw line.

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
And yet we lost to them ... again. Sigh...
Didn't really matter, we advance further in the tourney. I'm sure they would take a Gator loss and make it to the Elite 8 over a Gator win while getting whipped by Xavier in the 1st weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.