We have no team leaders

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
When was the last time this team had a leader? Tebow and Spikes for the O & D respectively? Really, since then....anyone? VH3 may have led by example and been smart enough to be a defensive leader, but I don't recall accounts of him acting as one. Nobody on this team, for the past many, many years, has stepped up to take that role. And that creates an environment in the program that wanders aimlessly without a leader - there is no leader who graduates, who has given an example of what a leader should and shouldn't do, moreover it doesn't create that vacuum when that player leads such that the team looks at one another and a person says "I will fill that role"....that role isn't there.

The only positive I'd put to the concept is del Rio travelling with the team. He spoke to the team in the locker room as a leader should - did anybody else? And he's not even playing. Even AA's comments from the game indicate he's just holding the QB spot until del Rio comes back - he speaks to competing for the starting job as if it is a set of tasks he can execute as well or better than del Rio, but that is play calling and throwing (executing), not leadership. That speaks volumes to the leadership role he is trying to create and fill, IMO. I'm not saying he is, or isn't, a great leader for the team. I'm just saying he's trying, which is more than anyone else has done to date.
Leaders on the team should be talking to their team mates, not to us. The revolving door at QB has hurt our leadership a lot. ig you have been there and done that, it gives you some credence with the rest of the team. Remember that Tebow's statement came when he was in his third year. The first year he was the spark plug. The second year he had the stats and the Heisman but our team was hit and miss.

I hope someone is in the locker room telling the rest of the team to close your mouths, open your ears, and take care of business. And after Vandy, if they do take care of business we need to hear, "that's what we are supposed to do", and not much else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator