We Talkin Bout The State of the Program!

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
I believe Grier would have developed into a good one

Sure, if we had the right recruits and the right coaches we could have developed 4 or 5 great quarterbacks. But, for whatever reason, which team has failed to do so?

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
********....Muschamp beat FSU and other than 2013 played them to the wire EVERY year......He actually scored a few offensive touchdowns while doing it...:headslap:

You are correct. He played FSU better, but he also continued to degrade the offensive talent on the team. Look at the OL he left in 2014 for Mac. Look at how many offensive contributors are from Muschamp's recruiting classes last year (2 years after he left!) - not many. Mac has had to rebuild the offense from the ground up.

I don't know why people don't want to understand this... I get it.. you don't like Mac. He hasn't been amazing. No argument, but he hasn't been as bad as you make it out to be either.

ExecutiveGator

Paragraphs are great tools. Use them.
Lifetime Member
Dec 5, 2014
I'm predicting that if the QB play this year Is not improved the partyline will be that,assuming its franks/trask, that they were just too green and need to be upperclassmen before we can have any reasonable expectations of them.
Disclaimer: I understand this isn't your viewpoint.

This is such a terrible thought process nowadays in the NCAA. I would expect a first year starter to have some bad plays, bad reads, etc. But, the past decade has shown that an 19-year old can light it up in the first year (think Johnny A-hole). Either Franks or Trask will light it up with occasional bad plays, which can be forgiven, or they won't. If it's a not, an extra year won't make any additional difference.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
You are correct. He played FSU better, but he also continued to degrade the offensive talent on the team. Look at the OL he left in 2014 for Mac. Look at how many offensive contributors are from Muschamp's recruiting classes last year (2 years after he left!) - not many. Mac has had to rebuild the offense from the ground up.

I don't know why people don't want to understand this... I get it.. you don't like Mac. He hasn't been amazing. No argument, but he hasn't been as bad as you make it out to be either.
Great he's rebuilt the offense......except for the most important part, QB....On the other hand we'll get to see how all the DT's and LB'S that he's recruited in the last 2 years work out now that the last guys are almost all gone....Kinda hard to win with a 120th ranked offense when Vandy and the likes are gutting you up the middle....
I don't dislike Mac....but he's got a lot to prove about being a HC at what should be an elite CFB program....

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
And yet.... Muschamp took an 18 year old high school kid and put up a better offense in his first year (at South Carolina) than Mac.

3 years and 6 QB's later and we still don't know what we have with Mac.

Chump only needed one more year. :scratchchin: That's a bold strategy, Cotton.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What prominent SEC team has failed to develop a quarterback in the past decade?

Reading your post led me to a question. How many QB's develop in college? ...or perhaps what does developing a QB in college look like concretely?

Here's what I mean. In recent years there have been numerous QB's who started and made huge impacts early in their careers.
Deshaun Watkins
Lamar Jackson
Johnny Bunghole
Sam Darnold
Baker Mayfield (a walkon who started his freshman season)
Jake Browning
Jalen Hurts
Tim Tebow
Sam Bradford
Colt McCoy
Youget Mypoint

Most of theses guys (who have completed their career) were really good in their first season and didn't show massive improvement over their career (at least statistically). When I think of recent Heisman winners, they were either good from the get go or didn't play because they were behind entrenched starters. I'm sure there is an adjustment from college and I'm sure they are trying to learn and they're being taught. I just wonder if it's accurate or realistic to think you can take a QB and change him from a mediocre player to a star through coaching. Maybe at the college level (at least) they either have it or they don't.

Can you think of a recent example of a guy who was good at the end of his college career who wasn't bad or behind an entrenched starter in his early years?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Reading your post led me to a question. How many QB's develop in college? ...or perhaps what does developing a QB in college look like concretely?

Here's what I mean. In recent years there have been numerous QB's who started and made huge impacts early in their careers.
Deshaun Watkins
Lamar Jackson
Johnny Bunghole
Sam Darnold
Jake Browning
Jalen Hurts
Tim Tebow
Sam Bradford
Colt McCoy
Youget Mypoint

Most of theses guys (who have completed their career) were really good in their first season and didn't show massive improvement over their career (at least statistically). When I think of recent Heisman winners, they were either good from the get go or didn't play because they were behind entrenched starters. I'm sure there is an adjustment from college and I'm sure they are trying to learn and they're being taught. I just wonder if it's accurate or realistic to think you can take a QB and change him from a mediocre player to a star through coaching. Maybe at the college level (at least) they either have it or they don't.

Can you think of a recent example of a guy who was good at the end of his college career who wasn't bad or behind an entrenched starter in his early years?

I think most QBs just have it or they don't but obviously coaching can help some. I am starting to fear we may possibly have one that maybe isn't a natural but hopefully that doesn't turn out to be the case. We already know LDR doesn't have the tools to be a good QB in the SEC. I remember reading some years back that only about 20% or so of the top 10 QBs ratings wise coming out of high school end up being good starters. That is a pretty low number with all the hype they get. Look at 2013's names and how few have done much.

2013's Top 10 Pro style QBs https://n.rivals.com/position_rankings/football/2013/PRO

2013's Top 10 dual threat QBs https://n.rivals.com/position_rankings/football/2013/DUAL

Last edited:

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
I think most QBs just have it or they don't but obviously coaching can help some. I am starting to fear we may possibly have one that maybe isn't a natural but hopefully that doesn't turn out to be the case. We already know LDR doesn't have the tools to be a good QB in the SEC. I remember reading some years back that only about 20% or so of the top 10 QBs ratings wise coming out of high school end up being good starters. That is a pretty low number with all the hype they get. Look at 2013's names and how few have done much.

2013's Top 10 Pro style QBs https://n.rivals.com/position_rankings/football/2013/PRO

2013's Top 10 dual threat QBs https://n.rivals.com/position_rankings/football/2013/DUAL

Mitch Trubisky is on the top 10 dual threat list. Would you say he was developed to a more pro style QB?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Deshaun Watkins
Lamar Jackson
Johnny Bunghole
Sam Darnold
Jake Browning
Jalen Hurts
Tim Tebow
Sam Bradford
Colt McCoy
Youget Mypoint

As far as true freshman there are some examples of turning things around to have much better numbers but it appears with the redshirt freshman with only a few exceptions you find out mostly what you are getting during that first season. There is even evidence that many of the big number RF QBs will regress just a little bit if they have real top notch numbers that first season.

Some true freshman who supposedly turned it around to have pretty good numbers in college after their first year were Jimmy Clausen, Teddy Bridgewater, Chad Henne, Matthew Stafford and Brady Quinn.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mitch Trubisky is on the top 10 dual threat list. Would you say he was developed to a more pro style QB?
They get that wrong all the time. Josh Dobbs is on there and only Sidehat can make him appear to have an arm at all. Driskel and Brissett were backwards, Brissett was the oasser and Driskel just a running back. JT Barrett is a running back. So much delends on who they sign with and what coaching they get.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
As far as true freshman there are some examples of turning things around to have much better numbers but it appears with the redshirt freshman with only a few exceptions you find out mostly what you are getting during that first season.
I agree completely. Usually, you know what youve got by the second season.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator