Wednesday Worsts....Dog Breed

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I think we can all agree that there are a lot of great dog breeds and mutts out there. What is a breed or a trait in a dog that you would never even consider due to temperament or characteristic?

Personally I'd never consider a dog over 50lb because it's too much for traveling. Bigger dogs, bigger messes.
Also, a fluffy dog or one that requires regular grooming is a non-starter because of the fur in the house and on clothes.

Our neighbor had Newfoundlands. They looked like bears in the pasture. The male was probably 150lb.

1708531105300.png

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
CD hates dogs... obviously
Brady Bunch Jan GIF by MOODMAN

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Have had several pit bulls. excellent family dogs. Currently have a pit and a rottweiler. First time with a Rot. Very protective of the family. His nickname is Security.

They both like the UPS and FecEx driver that bring dog treats. The Amazon drivers do not and thus get barked at and they stay in the van until I put the dogs away.

I do live on 10 acres, so they have plenty of room to roam.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Doodles of any kind. I can't stand them. I've heard of two that broke their own necks while playing.

Also have no use for little rat dogs like pomeranians or chihuahuas.

Gimme an 80lb German shepherd or similar sized American black/yellow lab.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Have had several pit bulls. excellent family dogs. Currently have a pit and a rottweiler. First time with a Rot. Very protective of the family. His nickname is Security.

They both like the UPS and FecEx driver that bring dog treats. The Amazon drivers do not and thus get barked at and they stay in the van until I put the dogs away.

I do live on 10 acres, so they have plenty of room to roam.
This is Wednesday
Not Tuesday

I have nothing against Pits but was bit by one when my horse broke his back. It wasn’t fun for anyone.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I’m personally out on Pits. Not worth the risk and I’d never own one. Have a friend who has a Rottweiler and I was generally on edge when my kids were younger if we were there. Cool dog, looks awesome, but again I’m out. As for just generally bad dogs, Cocker Spaniels would be my pick. My wife had one so I inherited it with the marriage. Terrible dog. Not great with kids, very snippy, nearly impossible to house train, and seriously dumb.

Yorkies suck too, but at least they’re tiny and sickly so you know you have some light at the end of the tunnel. Honestly, as a guy, you should probably be more concerned with the girl who has the Yorkie than the actual dog itself.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I’m personally out on Pits. Not worth the risk and I’d never own one. Have a friend who has a Rottweiler and I was generally on edge when my kids were younger if we were there. Cool dog, looks awesome, but again I’m out. As for just generally bad dogs, Cocker Spaniels would be my pick. My wife had one so I inherited it with the marriage. Terrible dog. Not great with kids, very snippy, nearly impossible to house train, and seriously dumb.

Yorkies suck too, but at least they’re tiny and sickly so you know you have some light at the end of the tunnel. Honestly, as a guy, you should probably be more concerned with the girl who has the Yorkie than the actual dog itself.
You come off as a yorkie kind of guy... so are you more for Maltese kind of guy

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
I’m personally out on Pits. Not worth the risk and I’d never own one. Have a friend who has a Rottweiler and I was generally on edge when my kids were younger if we were there. Cool dog, looks awesome, but again I’m out.
Sofl - you used to be my favorite poster. :sadnanner:

I am on my 3rd pit bull. All three loved my kids and were protective. They were never aggressive to any others. Its how they are raised. The fist pit stopped a potential attack on my wife. Kind of hard to not like them after that.

The Rot is fine with us and our friends and their kids. Does not like strangers at all until I or my wife greet and hug or shake hands with them.

Pit is 70 lbs and the Rot 100 lbs. So yeah, if they bite someone. damage will be done. They aren't no yorkie.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I am on my 3rd pit bull. All three loved my kids and were protective. They were never aggressive to any others. Its how they are raised. The fist pit stopped a potential attack on my wife. Kind of hard to not like them after that.

The Rot is fine with us and our friends and their kids. Does not like strangers at all until I or my wife greet and hug or shake hands with them.

Pit is 70 lbs and the Rot 100 lbs. So yeah, if they bite someone. damage will be done. They aren't no yorkie.

Your last point is mine as well. I make no argument that they aren’t at least to some extent a product of their environment. I’m sure there’s some hand in that. But they’re also animals and can, with little to no warning, have a moment where they snap. And if they do, the damage is going to be real. I don’t need that stress in my life, and struggle to see a risk/reward that’s favorable. I read that in like a 12 year study pit bulls in the US were responsible for a death every 17 days. I get that some of that could be curtailed, but every 17 days? That’s insanity. Again, it makes no difference to me what type of dog someone has. Full disclosure, I do tend to view their owners, a certain way, but there are exceptions like yourself. I’m just personally not having something with those stats around me and my kids.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020

Back in the 80's my dad's neighbor had someone break in and rape his wife at home. They lived on 5 acres and it was a remote area. They purchased 3 dobermans over the years to literally patrol the land. It was the same time frame as Magnum PI with Zeus and Apollo. You would always see them in the driveway and around the front of the house. There was no way anyone was getting past these well trained dogs to get to the house. It was impressive and I can't blame them as the event freaked me out for years.

1708541948481.png

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Back in the 80's my dad's neighbor had someone break in and rape his wife at home. They lived on 5 acres and it was a remote area. They purchased 3 dobermans to literally patrol the land. It was the same time frame as Magnum PI with Zeus and Apollo. You would always see them in the driveway and around the front of the house. There was no way anyone was getting past these well trained dogs to get to the house. It was impressive and I can't blame them as the event freaked me out for years.

View attachment 67712

You could have a miniature schnauzer(for warning barks) and a machine gun nest on your front porch and accomplish the same thing. Similar cost and risk too. Plus it would be a lot more fun to mow down future attempted rapists and you wouldn’t have to watch your step while throwing the football outdoors. I have a meeting I’ll be in until around 3, but will be available the rest of the day for any other helpful advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator