Founding Member
I’m personally out on Pits.

iu

Alex.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
You could have a miniature schnauzer(for warning barks) and a machine gun nest on your front porch and accomplish the same thing. Similar cost and risk too. Plus it would be a lot more fun to mow down future attempted rapists and you wouldn’t have to watch your step while throwing the football outdoors. I have a meeting I’ll be in until around 3, but will be available the rest of the day for any other helpful advice.
:shambles:

Ok seriously… where were you and Gator Chatter for advice 40 years ago?

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
One of my absolute favorite things about owning a large GSD was the reaction of the yappy dog owners. They would breathlessly rush to pick up fifi and waddle to the other side of the street while giving me a bad look.

I could rarely resist the urge to whisper "gib laut" to her and watch the fun begin.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Your last point is mine as well. I make no argument that they aren’t at least to some extent a product of their environment. I’m sure there’s some hand in that. But they’re also animals and can, with little to no warning, have a moment where they snap. And if they do, the damage is going to be real. I don’t need that stress in my life, and struggle to see a risk/reward that’s favorable. I read that in like a 12 year study pit bulls in the US were responsible for a death every 17 days. I get that some of that could be curtailed, but every 17 days? That’s insanity. Again, it makes no difference to me what type of dog someone has. Full disclosure, I do tend to view their owners, a certain way, but there are exceptions like yourself. I’m just personally not having something with those stats around me and my kids.

I am not so sure about that statistic; but not here to argue that point or with you.

As I have mentioned before, we are on 10 acres. We have chickens. So of course we have chicken predators too. The dogs actually protect the chickens from the ground predators. When my son was a baby, I would put him in the wheel barrel and park him under the oak tree for shade when he was napping. Then I would do yardwork. Pit #1 would lay under the wheel barrel until I returned for the boy.

I/we understand the risks of having big dogs and get them as puppies and train them ourselves. When in the kitchen cooking, I just say "boys, get out of the kitchen" and they sadly leave the room. Good well-trained dogs.

About my wife. We had just recently moved into a rental home. While home alone someone knocks on our door and against all my instructions, she opens the door a crack to see who it was. A guy barges in and starts demanding to see someone as he approached my backing up wife. Pit comes running downstairs barking and growling and chased that guy out the house and back into his car. He had left the car powered on, all lights off, and the drive doors wide open. Yeah - next day a peep hole was installed on the door.

But I do totally get someone not wanting them or the risk that comes with a big dog. I'll allow it. :fistbump:

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
One of my absolute favorite things about owning a large GSD was the reaction of the yappy dog owners. They would breathlessly rush to pick up fifi and waddle to the other side of the street while giving me a bad look.

I could rarely resist the urge to whisper "gib laut" to her and watch the fun begin.

I've been pestering the lady to write me a doctor's note for an "emotional support wolf" for much the same reason.

She hasn't given in yet, but suble and persistent messaging about what awesome animals wolves are will surely win the day.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Something I've learned about big dogs that chase you is that you don't get away from them unless they let you. This is almost always the best case scenario. :)

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I've been pestering the lady to write me a doctor's note for an "emotional support wolf" for much the same reason.

She hasn't given in yet, but suble and persistent messaging about what awesome animals wolves are will surely win the day.

When we moved out here our neighbor had a wolf hybrid. They were the kindest people but I’m not sure what they were thinking. Eventually they had to put it down because it attacked a Jack Russell terrier.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I don't like most all breeds that are under knee high on me. Most of them are "yappers" and their only benefit is that they will wake up the bigger, physically intimidating dogs that get stuff done.

Any dog that one has to worry about an owl or hawk snatching and flying away with aren't really dogs anyways and ought to be fully exterminated from the face of the earth.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
When we moved out here our neighbor had a wolf hybrid. They were the kindest people but I’m not sure what they were thinking. Eventually they had to put it down because it attacked a Jack Russell terrier.
The only "bad" experience I had with Ellie was when I was walking her and an annoying mini-poodle got out of the harness his ignorant owners failed to secure properly. They were yapping on their porch steps when fifi sees Ellie about 40yds away and comes straight at us, barking up a storm, crossing a street to do so.

Ellie thinks it's time to sniff noses and butts. So she stops and sits. Waits for the dog to get there. She's leashed and I'm not at all worried for her safety. Ellie goes to sniff and fifi snaps at her twice and bit her once on the muzzle.

Ellie pulled back and when fifi went for a third bite, she turned her head and took fifi's entire head into the back of her mouth, and laid down. She looked up at me to see how much trouble she was in. I told her no and to leave it. For once in his life fifi was completely silent.

I told her to leave it again. And she did. Fifi was too scared to even run. I couldn't help but laugh at all of the drool he was covered in. Not a mark on him though.

We never had another problem with fifi.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I don't like most all breeds that are under knee high on me. Most of them are "yappers" and their only benefit is that they will wake up the bigger, physically intimidating dogs that get stuff done.

Any dog that one has to worry about an owl or hawk snatching and flying away with aren't really dogs anyways
and ought to be fully exterminated from the face of the earth.
Who said I was worried?

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018

Pretty sure this is exactly why she keeps telling me "no." :lol2:

She's got a shih-pu who's terrified of huskies and doesn't think he'll like the bigger cousin

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I’m sure someone, somewhere must like them, but every dachshund I’ve ever come across was a nasty miserable cur.

My sister has a border collie and while he is sweet, great with people (kids too) and other dogs, and insanely smart, he is the biggest pain in the ass dog I’ve ever been around and next to impossible to tire out. And if he’s bored and unsupervised, he’ll find a way to amuse himself that is generally annoying or destructive. I actually like him quite a bit, but would never want to own him or any other Border Collie unless I had a huge piece of property and some sheep.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I’m sure someone, somewhere must like them, but every dachshund I’ve ever come across was a nasty miserable cur.

My sister has a border collie and while he is sweet, great with people (kids too) and other dogs, and insanely smart, he is the biggest pain in the ass dog I’ve ever been around and next to impossible to tire out. And if he’s bored and unsupervised, he’ll find a way to amuse himself that is generally annoying or destructive. I actually like him quite a bit, but would never want to own him or any other Border Collie unless I had a huge piece of property and some sheep.
Collies are definitely working dogs and need a job to keep them occupied.

Never been a fan of Dachshunds.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Apparently, the Royals are partial towards Corgis.

iu

Alex.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

We had two dachshunds, sisters. One was good, the other wasn’t. Still enough to say we’ll never have another.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
:shambles:

Ok seriously… where were you and Gator Chatter for advice 40 years ago?

Well I turn 44(allegedly) in a month, so that’d put me at home with mom, drinking coffee as we waved my sister off to school, and just starting to dabble in bourbon.

We have a Border CollIie/Springer Spaniel mix that we rescued, and he’s probably the best dog I’ve ever had. That said, he’s the only one of that breed I’ve owned, and he was 9-10 when we got him, so I’m not sure which one of us is the outlier in this case.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Well I turn 44(allegedly) in a month, so that’d put me at home with mom, drinking coffee as we waved my sister off to school, and just starting to dabble in bourbon.

We have a Border CollIie/Springer Spaniel mix that we rescued, and he’s probably the best dog I’ve ever had. That said, he’s the only one of that breed I’ve owned, and he was 9-10 when we got him, so I’m not sure which one of us is the outlier in this case.
I think the age probably helps - though my sister’s BC is seven and shows no sign of slowing down - but I wouldn’t discount the influence of the springer blood. As I said, my sisters dog is great - in small doses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator