Welcome new UF Basketball Coach Michael White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Thk&ThnG8r;n220832 said:
Please tell me septic lid where you heard the rumor. The whole country is piling on us right now, but when our own fans make stuff up to hurt our programs it makes me mad.

It's called using humor to express one's displeasure in yet another bungled coaching hire......As far as the septic smell goes I agree, this whole thing stinks of sh!t.....

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Gatoravatara;n220975 said:
Spot on. I really agree with the Tiffany's analogy. 20 years ago we probably did have to find a diamond in the rough. Now we can shop at Tiffany's. I had a friend who grew up really poor in the hood. He ended up getting 2 degrees and then went back to the hood and bought a house. I asked him why he would do that. Isn't the whole point of busting your ass making money, NOT living in the hood? A few years later he moved out into a good area, where he belonged. I feel the the same way about Florida hoops. Billy put us on the map and we are well resected. We don't need to go back to the hood. We should spend money on someone who constantly goes deep in the tournament.

That said, there is a lot to like about White and I hope he succeeds.

It's all we can do is hope because I honestly believe if this doesn't work we will be 10 years behind in terms of being a solid BB program. Kids will always go to the UK's, UCLA's and such because they are what they are.....Kids will not just go to UF to play BB unless it is for a marquee coach who is winning games and consistently getting deep in the tournament. Look, as good as Billy was when did ne ever get the "elite" players?

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This hire does kinda remind me of USCw hiring the dude from Florida Gulf Coast.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n220975 said:
Spot on. I really agree with the Tiffany's analogy. 20 years ago we probably did have to find a diamond in the rough. Now we can shop at Tiffany's. I had a friend who grew up really poor in the hood. He ended up getting 2 degrees and then went back to the hood and bought a house. I asked him why he would do that. Isn't the whole point of busting your ass making money, NOT living in the hood? A few years later he moved out into a good area, where he belonged. I feel the the same way about Florida hoops. Billy put us on the map and we are well resected. We don't need to go back to the hood. We should spend money on someone who constantly goes deep in the tournament.

That said, there is a lot to like about White and I hope he succeeds.
This.

He may work out, he may not. But we shouldn't be in the position with either football or basketball of trying to find bargains and pray they work out.

We are one of the elite programs in the nation and we're run by a guy who thinks he is at FAMU.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n220977 said:
What exactly are they delusional about? Winning all of the time? How many games did they lose last season? They may be delusional about their football team.
Maybe you need law to post that picture with the fan and his undefeated tatoo. You obviously haven't been around many Kentucky fans.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n221002 said:
Maybe you need law to post that picture with the fan and his undefeated tatoo. You obviously haven't been around many Kentucky fans.

8-funny-Kentucky-rednecks-meme.jpg

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
NVGator;n220987 said:
This hire does kinda remind me of USCw hiring the dude from Florida Gulf Coast.

I disagree, the coach from FGC actually won games in the tournament......

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Law98gator;n220990 said:
We are one of the elite programs in the nation and we're run by a guy who thinks he is at FAMU.
To be honest I'm not a huge BB fan so normally I wouldn't even take notice, however there is a pattern with his actions or lack of action over the last 5 or 6 years that's disturbing.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n220990 said:
This.

He may work out, he may not. But we shouldn't be in the position with either football or basketball of trying to find bargains and pray they work out.

Well Gee it seems like we are looking for people who are willing to come to UF and take the challenges that are associated with taking jobs here. Both of them have potential we just need to turn it into actual results. We always say players come to the school (at least they should) and not to depend too much on a coach being here.

We are run by one of the top AD's in the country and who will be remembered long after he retires as an excellent manager of our entire program. Sure Champ did not work out and almost everyone thought he should have been gone one year earlier, one less that great decision does not overcome the other good ones. Simple!!!

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I can see (& hope) that the possibility exists that White is another "Donovan-type" coach. Look at a real positive. We
now have a coach young enough to build us into an elite BB school, provided he recruits splendidly. UF BB does
need some innovative unrelenting recruiting, especially at getting well coordinated "big men" and dead-eye
outside shooting guard. We need to spread the opposing defenses and do a lot of cuts to the basket. IMHO,
our players need more training at banking shots off the backboard. And of course, nobody shoots FTs at
below 60%, with any who shoot better than 75% in a game getting a Gator patch on their Jersey … like those
"public "indicators put on FB players helmets.

Foley needs to hire a PR expert to "market" BB towards UF's FB attractiveness, he can do the same in FB season.
Us fans need to cultivate excitement at protecting & projecting true faith & hope for the players White recruits and
puts on the court. For starters we can admit that White can & will beat Donovan's 2015 record -- I bet he does.
So let's get after it … or leave it to rest.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
VulcanAlex;n221049 said:
Well Gee it seems like we are looking for people who are willing to come to UF and take the challenges that are associated with taking jobs here. Both of them have potential we just need to turn it into actual results. We always say players come to the school (at least they should) and not to depend too much on a coach being here.

We are run by one of the top AD's in the country and who will be remembered long after he retires as an excellent manager of our entire program. Sure Champ did not work out and almost everyone thought he should have been gone one year earlier, one less that great decision does not overcome the other good ones. Simple!!!

SOS wasn't his. Billy D was...great hire. I compare picking Meyer to taking Andrew Luck number 1...a no brainer but he did make it happen. Zook was a failure. Muschamp was a failure. JMac is unproven and so is White. Jury is way out on those two. His last three hires are kinda question marks when better candidates were out there. No others were even interviewed(WTF?).

And if the postponement of the Odome renovations had anything to do with Billy leaving then that's on Foley too. It's like Booby Bowden staying on way past his time. I think Foley has reached that status here.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n221074 said:
SOS wasn't his. Billy D was...great hire. I compare picking Meyer to taking Andrew Luck number 1...a no brainer but he did make it happen. Zook was a failure. Muschamp was a failure. JMac is unproven and so is White. Jury is way out on those two. His last three hires are kinda question marks when better candidates were out there. No others were even interviewed(WTF?).

And if the postponement of the Odome renovations had anything to do with Billy leaving then that's on Foley too. It's like Booby Bowden staying on way past his time. I think Foley has reached that status here.

Well you are of course welcome to your opinion.

Billy left because he as been interested in the NBA and this was so good of an opportunity that he would not turn it down. Evidence exists that he was recruiting hard so the idea that he wanted to leave is hard to believe.

I bet Odome renovations were delayed at least in part because there were things that needed to be addressed that nobody knew about.

When you find the right person and others have not been interested no interviews are needed. Internal canidates were well known.

Simple!!! Time will tell.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n221074 said:

lets be honest, Meyer wasn't his either. Machen brought him here. Sully is a Foley hire and he tends to sh!t the as well.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n221099 said:
I was going to point that out but did not want to rock the boat. I know Foley oked it. And Notre Dame was fighting for him. Who was fighting Florida to get White?

Well it appears that he turned down UT, which does not say too much. Time will tell!!!

Albert

Enormous Member
Aug 22, 2014
Law98gator;n220835 said:
Vulcan, I hate to break it to you but no one would notice if the entire gymnastics, softball, lacross, and badminton teams disappeared.
Also, no one would notice if you disappeared...

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Can we just please stop all of this nonsense that Foley isn't the Antichrist?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
aka;n221124 said:
Can we just please stop all of this nonsense that Foley isn't the Antichrist?

Honest question...what would it take for you to go..."ok, I guess it's time for him to quietly retire"????

Do we wait till he's in a wheel chair? Do we wait until he tears down what he's built up? It sucks...no one wants to take the keys from Grandma because she can't drive anymore. But at some point, you gotta do what ya gotta do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.