What is the most overrated movie of all time ...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Highlander. It won the Academy Award for best movie ever made.

And I may go watch American Sniper again just to piss off Squash.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Leroy Jenkins;n189284 said:
Big surprise.

Let me guess, she's a libtard, un-American, soldier hater? Or maybe she just doesn't like poorly made movies with subpar acting from everyone except the lead and a hilariously fake baby?

Leroy Jenkins

Founding Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n189315 said:
Let me guess, she's a libtard, un-American, soldier hater? Or maybe she just doesn't like poorly made movies with subpar acting from everyone except the lead and a hilariously fake baby?

I meant that she agreed with you. Chump.

Dec 10, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n189091 said:
Obviously the OP doesn't understand Dark Knight as a film or the Batman characters/villains as a whole.

As far as the thread topic is concerned, they don't get much more overrated by fans than American Sniper.

Actually, it's Christopher Nolan who doesn't understand Batman characters/villains as a whole. I get what Nolan was trying to do. He wanted to create a Batman in the "real" world. Well it's not possible, and it just ended up diluting half his characters. It also made his script inconsistent because nothing about the movies were "real."

I'd also add to my list that the Joker's ability to waltz in and take over the Gotham criminal syndicate with no prior influence was lazy and inconsistent with how powerful these syndicates were made to be in the first movie.

Truly an awful movie that people flock to praise.

Dec 10, 2014
I haven't even been able to watch all of Avatar. It's very cliché, and the special effects have a cartoonish tint to them. I think Avatar probably gets universal agreement of being overrated in this thread. I disagree on Forrest Gump, but I will say it begins to fall apart once he gets out of the Army. Him being responsible for various pop culture icons during his run across the country was just overkill on the rest of his implausible journey. That being said, I still enjoyed the movie.

I thought American Sniper was just a rehash of the Hurt Locker. I didn't think it was a bad movie, but I can definitely see how you can square it not being a bad movie with the response it got being "overrated." Don't think the two concepts are mutually exclusive. Thought it was a B movie that gave you an interesting look into the life of a modern soldier. Not sure why it got Oscar praise. That is the problem with the movie.

Somebody mentioned Gone with the Wind. I think that movie is certainly overrated by today standards because it's more iconic to the generation it was released in. It was basically Old South nostalgia. There really isn't much of an Old South anymore, so the movie doesn't have the emotional influence/effect on today's people. I don't think as a book or movie that Gone with the Wind will be spoken about or discussed in 50 years.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n189344 said:
I don't think as a book or movie that Gone with the Wind will be spoken about or discussed in 50 years.

BS. My wife loves the movie, so I will hear it mentioned plenty in the next 50 years.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n189030 said:
This thread is invalid. Two people already think Forest Gump was overrated? :headshake:

Because it is? Did it deserve best Picture over Pulp Fiction or Shawshank Redemption... You could make the argument even Quiz Show was a better movie that year.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MidwestChomp;n189040 said:
Almost forgot, and I risk having all the children of the world come at me with torches and pitchforks.

Frozen

Has anyone heard from Midwest after this comment? Did a bunch of little girls murder him last night?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n189230 said:
Haven't seen American Sniper. I hope it's not that bad. The Dark Knight was awesome. Forest Gump was as well.

And yes Avatar sucked ballz. Couldn't even get half way through that garbage.

Says the expert... but when I first attempted to watch Avatar I fell asleep twice during that long a$$ movie.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n189270 said:
I never understood the fascination with avatar myself. Another overrated movie, twilight. I just don't see the appeal in that either.

:hehehe: T watched Twight... time to turn in both the man and hater cards.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n189298 said:

They are remaking Highlander

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
TheDouglas78;n189376 said:
Has anyone heard from Midwest after this comment? Did a bunch of little girls murder him last night?

I'm OK. Thanks for the concern.

Also, as much as I enjoyed the Lord of the Rings series, I thought Return of the King was not the best one in the trilogy.

And I'm with T. I saw the Twilight series with my wife. Horrible movies, but I don't think the anyone but 12 year old girls thought those movies were good.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MidwestChomp;n189399 said:
I'm OK. Thanks for the concern.

Also, as much as I enjoyed the Lord of the Rings series, I thought Return of the King was not the best one in the trilogy.

And I'm with T. I saw the Twilight series with my wife. Horrible movies, but I don't think the anyone but 12 year old girls thought those movies were good.

Two Towers should have won the Oscar, it was the best of the three in my opinion. Mystic River was a better movie than Return of the King, and should have one Best Picture that year.

I paid for my wife and her sisters tickets to see Twilight, so I didn't have to go with her. It was money well spent.

Jand3k

I Don't Re Member
Sep 12, 2014
All of the Lord of the Rings movies are over rated!

Never got the appeal for those movies.

"Hey, lets go walking."

Jabberdave

Founding Member
Your mom is very pretty.
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n189298 said:

While wearing your Crystal Gayle shirt.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Jand3k;n189422 said:

"Hey, lets go walking."

Honest trailers are awesome... every Tuesday is a new one.

Here is Forrest Gump

Jabberdave

Founding Member
Your mom is very pretty.
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Jand3k;n189422 said:

"Hey, lets go walking."

The movies were visually appealing and it was cool to actually see some of the characters, but they were dragged out far too long, especially The Hobbit. I have all kinds of beefs with the movies, but I've seen them all and own those that have been released. I probably have three or more complete sets of the books, a wall map of Middle Earth, an encyclopedia of Middle Earth and who knows what else. I have a Gandolf figure on my desk at work and probably a few other items throughout the house. Oh, I have a huge poster of Gandolf with Bilbo and Frodo next to him mounted on wood and covered in shellac. The words on the ring of power surround the image. My wife had it made for me probably 25 years ago.

Basically, I'm a nut for the series and have been since I could read. That said, I can completely understand why folks think the movies are overrated. As a fanboy of the series, I bitch about a lot of the changes made for the movies, but there's enough done correctly that keeps me watching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator