What now? Gator fans told to "temper expectations"

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
In 2015 he was a new coach following the chump. There was excitement that offense was coming back to Florida and the fun and gun was back. In 2017 the shine is off the bloom and there is no excitement about Mac or his coaches. I would expect a close worse than last year.
If not for Chump holding our class hostage, Ivey and Jefferson would have already been committed

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
If not for Chump holding our class hostage, Ivey and Jefferson would have already been committed
And we should have had the two 5*'s that went to Auburn. But Mac hired a defensive line coach that fubarred a late night meeting at waffle house with Cowart's mom. And a week later Mac fired said defensive line coach. All that was in the weeks leading up to signing day and everyone wants to compliment him for closing strong on that class.

I give him credit for the 2 RB's and Calloway that year but he f'd up the defensive side of that class and has never recovered. His coaching hires have been suspect and and he's still clearly having trouble. Dude has leprosy.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Not disagreeing with you regarding WM's role in things. But even then, the waiting until NSD made no sense. We were basically hanging on to a top 50 class a few weeks before signing day, and no one stepped up to create some certainty or momentum for our class. Hearing a kid like Jefferson tell reporters later on that he was always a Gator had me shaking my head. Recruiting is infectious. Having guys like him or Ivey announcing to the world that UF is going to be great again with these coaches would've likely done wonders for us.

And I get that sometimes the kids want the big ceremony on signing day, but the staff has to recognize the situation and get kids on board with a vision. Harvin was one of the most "me first" players in UF history, and Meyer had no trouble landing him in Dec/Jan. I just don't think this staff gets it. As someone( possibly Rex) pointed out, what exactly is there to gain from signing day, or post signing day, momentum? It's asinine, and may very well cost us other valuable players who love UF but aren't sure of the current state of things, and thus go elsewhere.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
We either have one of the most elaborate and risky NSD plans or our recruiting just sucks. Where are you putting your money?
I'm waiting until NSD to find out. None of this noise (pro/con/neutral) matters until the ink is signed and the class is analyzed in it's entirety.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
In 2015 he was a new coach following the chump. There was excitement that offense was coming back to Florida and the fun and gun was back.
With all due respect, anyone who thought Butters was bringing the fun and gun is clueless or has never watched college football.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
There's so much noise going on. It's good then it's bad. Who knows what the deal is. Are the players wanting drama, sure. Is it that recruits are trolling, sure. So there is no reason to worry til NSD. That's when I'll bloviate whether or not Mac did well are that we're in perpetual suckness.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
With all due respect, anyone who thought Butters was bringing the fun and gun is clueless or has never watched college football.
I don't disagree with that. But he was billed as a QB whisperer because of AJ McCarron, his CSU QB and his dog Claribell. Now everyone knows the truth.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014

No but I did think we were going to get more of what he ran at CSU and less of '09 Bama.....considering we don't have the players to run it...but hell in his mind a square peg goes in a round hole everyday

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Yes, but pulling in 8 key guys on NSD is a heavy lift. In fact, that'd be a hell of a finish! Love to see it happen, but that'd mean we got the guys this rumor is about, right?

Not necessarily, the rumors seems to be about SoFl leans. That would make it about Henderson, Herbert and and maybe Slaton. UF can certainly get to 23 or 24 without those guys. I'm guessing the rumor is really about Henderson and Herbert more than Slaton.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We don't want him if he doesn't want us. How's Cowart doing?? He is what a 1 star dud now

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

GatorRaz

Gator Fan in Enemy Territory!!!
Dec 12, 2014
There's so much noise going on. It's good then it's bad. Who knows what the deal is. Are the players wanting drama, sure. Is it that recruits are trolling, sure. So there is no reason to worry til NSD. That's when I'll bloviate whether or not Mac did well are that we're in perpetual suckness.
You get a like for using the word bloviate!

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No, he's gone. Staff should press Henderson and tell him Blades is gone or better yet his offer got pulled
Didn't Blades and Henderson room together last weekend, or is it this weekend they room together at some event? You'd think one would know what the other was going to do. Hope we don't get left without either one.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Foley destroyed the 2015 class by not firing WM in 2013 and letting him walk to AUB by not putting a non compete clause in his contract where he forfeits the 6M+. Foley made it worse by hiring Mac and giving him a 6 year deal from the jump. He also was the reason we got stuck with Stricklin due to his meddling.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Foley destroyed the 2015 class by not firing WM in 2013 and letting him walk to AUB by not putting a non compete clause in his contract where he forfeits the 6M+. Foley made it worse by hiring Mac and giving him a 6 year deal from the jump. He also was the reason we got stuck with Stricklin due to his meddling.
I've heard this about Foley. He was hired to clean up our program and image. He was not hired to glad hand boosters or fix facilities. I think he did a great job at what he was hired to do. The fault isn't with Foley as much as it is with Machen. Foley should've been replaced long ago in respect to why he was hired. Stricklin is more of the glad handing and facility building type from what I've read. Not sure how good he is af it tho. I think Foley was a good AD for what we needed when he was hired, but those days were long past and Machen F'd up. Let's hope Stricklin knows what he's doing and can get the booster well pumping again.

Regarding Mac, he's a good coach. Anyone who thinks otherwise isn't paying attention. What he's failed at is being a good GM. He's made two good replacement hires in Rumph and Gray, I believe he will make two more good hires. The problem lies in loyalty. Now I've heard that Nord is a really good game day coach. That he's the one in the press box identifying what the defense does. If true they need ace recruiters to make up for him. Also if true, it speaks more about Nuss and his lack of ability. In any event, Mac is sealing his fate with the next two hires. QB play can't be any worse, so maybe our offense will finally show in 2017. One thing is for sure, time is not on Mac's side.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016

+1000

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I've heard this about Foley. He was hired to clean up our program and image. He was not hired to glad hand boosters or fix facilities. I think he did a great job at what he was hired to do. The fault isn't with Foley as much as it is with Machen. Foley should've been replaced long ago in respect to why he was hired. Stricklin is more of the glad handing and facility building type from what I've read. Not sure how good he is af it tho. I think Foley was a good AD for what we needed when he was hired, but those days were long past and Machen F'd up. Let's hope Stricklin knows what he's doing and can get the booster well pumping again.

Regarding Mac, he's a good coach. Anyone who thinks otherwise isn't paying attention. What he's failed at is being a good GM. He's made two good replacement hires in Rumph and Gray, I believe he will make two more good hires. The problem lies in loyalty. Now I've heard that Nord is a really good game day coach. That he's the one in the press box identifying what the defense does. If true they need ace recruiters to make up for him. Also if true, it speaks more about Nuss and his lack of ability. In any event, Mac is sealing his fate with the next two hires. QB play can't be any worse, so maybe our offense will finally show in 2017. One thing is for sure, time is not on Mac's side.

I've thought for the last several years that the offense couldn't get any worse, and I'm routinely wrong.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't Blades and Henderson room together last weekend, or is it this weekend they room together at some event? You'd think one would know what the other was going to do. Hope we don't get left without either one.
I fully expect us not to get either one. Bama just had a db decommit right after hendersons visit and when they really want someone they get him. Blades, everyone but us thinks hes going to Nebraska.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator