Who do we close with.....?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Because we are way short on recruits committed there could be a "platoon" of good ones come
marching in, being wide open at least allows that possibility. Let's hope it starts building one good
recruit after another.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
UGA is going to have a monster class. Just hope Kirby is more like Zook than Saban.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I wasn't confident we'd get the win yesterday after the last 2 games, last year's bowl game and the many injuries on defense, but I usually don't make a practice of saying my team is going to get thumped. This is too funny not to multiquote.

Unfortunately we'll lose to Iowa and make very few staff changes. We'll close with whatever 2 stars we can steal from South Alabama Christian School.

I'm expecting a 31-7 Thumping by Iowa

I'm not expecting a W but if Iowa scores 31 against us then we deserve to lose. Their offense isn't much better than ours.

The final will likely be somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-6.

:chickenlittle:

:snicker:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
There's lots of fist pumping going on right now because of the Iowa win. Some have been waiting quite a while for something positive to point to. Let em enjoy it, it's not hurting anything. I enjoyed the win as well.

The issue though is if you count up the number of times since mac arrived that you were fist pumping and compared it to the number of times you wanted to throw a brick through your tv it really puts things in perspective. For every time we are really happy, there's 4 or 5 times that most are disgusted and that's really the problem.

Hopefully February brings some more positive vibes but if not, the end of the experiment will not be too far off so either way at some point things will change.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Before season began, thought 9-5 (9-4) would be fair for this team. We beat my expectations.

Expected to lose to FSU, Bama, and bowl game with 2 other loses.

Where we have not met expectations is with recruiting and offensive performance. However, after the bowl game, I am happy to see the coaching up of the scrubs. The coaching staff did very well piecing together a true TEAM.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Don't tell me what to do.

You and several others took space in a recruiting thread to declare that we would get beaten by Iowa. You sure talked as if they weren't overrated before we beat them. ...now you change your tune to say they were overrated. :lol:

Like I said in the previous post, I didn't have confidence in our team for three reasons...
1. the previous two games (FSU and Alabama)
2. last year's bowl game performance
3. the load of injuries on our defense

Still, you won't see me picking against them with such surety. You called it, now be a big boy and face it like a man.

Btw, this is my stance on the whole situation with our coach. For me the jury is still out. For others, they think they know it won't work out. If predictions of gloom are forgotten in the happiness of surpassed expectations, then gloomers get to point at the times they are right without the balance of seeing when they're wrong. You were wrong.

:snicker:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Sports message boards are 'an opinions' se-saw. At one end of the potential balance-board are the
down-load negatives; at the other end are the up-lift positives. The see-saw action is inviting to all
manner of posters. However, on GC's board too often the downers rush over to the uppers end to
push it down too. Could this possibly cause, say 25% of GC lurkers not to post or worse, not to join?
A pragmatic "look-see" should include any positives of Macncrew with those negatives before throwing
out the present staff and starting over with one that will have to "mature" through similar growth mistakes.??

The "non-panic" progression staunchly requires that Mac gets year 3. If the third year team shows strengthening
away from obvious prior deficits, Mac will probably go on to year 4.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I have no problem with the so-called pumpers gloating about the win. Hell, I'm tickled to death that we won the bowl game handily. I still think it's just a matter of time before Mac gets the axe, but it's nice to end the season on a high note for a change. Pump away fellas and I'll happily eat crow!

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There's lots of fist pumping going on right now because of the Iowa win. Some have been waiting quite a while for something positive to point to. Let em enjoy it, it's not hurting anything. I enjoyed the win as well.

The issue though is if you count up the number of times since mac arrived that you were fist pumping and compared it to the number of times you wanted to throw a brick through your tv it really puts things in perspective. For every time we are really happy, there's 4 or 5 times that most are disgusted and that's really the problem.

Hopefully February brings some more positive vibes but if not, the end of the experiment will not be too far off so either way at some point things will change.
I see it both ways...on one hand it was nice to finally have a big win over a solid team...and i mean big as in point differential. Though on the other hand if you watch the game it wasn't as big a difference as the score would make it out to be. They played us to almost a standstill outside of 1 big play by Thompson and the 1 really good drive that resulted in the Goolsby TD. Then Iowa wore down and their QB was barely functional then we pinned our ears back and they had no answer but more INT. A good Gators team would have won by 50 the way that game played out. Defense looked good minus some missed tackles but what can you expect with all of the young guys getting PT at LB. It was promising for the future. The offense again pretty much stunk it up but with a competent QB and an improved Oline there were plenty of plays for the taking. So all of that in a nutshell...pretty much the same stuff we've seen for the past 2 years...flashes of what could be a really good team if we had a QB but also the maddening frustration that we really aren't there. I tend to lead to believing that mac could coach up a team to win an SEC championship (and maybe more) with the right players but i don't believe he can recruit the right players.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I think Euro's biggest issue, as was mine, was all the adamant negativity coming from a lot of folks before the bowl game. I mean, I was seeing some pretty strong statements about how we were going to get blown out or it was going 'to be ugly'. The volume of the negativity got to be tiresome. I didn't know if we would/could beat Iowa or not, and I'm not happy with the way we lost to FSU & Bama and the current state of the program/recruiting, but I'm sure as heck not going to predict that Iowa (Iowa) is going to mop the floor with us. To me, that's borderline trolling. You won't find me fist pumping either - not after beating 'Iowa'. I just hope we can gain a little momentum with recruiting and get the Gator train back on the right track.

Last edited:

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Two last points from me on this...

1. I don't think I'm a 'pumper' - I'm just not a dumper. I root hard for them and show positivity during the games, but outside of a game thread, I'll bet nobody can find a post where I'm pumping. ...not for the last 4 years or more. This is a false dichotomy - you're either a dumper or a pumper. I'm no dumper and I haven't made up my mind on this current HC and his staff.

2. Who is fist pumping? Again, not me. I see some people celebrating a bowl win and the associated lift it could give to recruiting and our own feelings over the off-season, but I don't see people saying, "See!! See!! I told you we were awesome!! Give it one more year and we'll be in the CFPlayoff!!" I'm just glad we won.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Before season began, thought 9-5 (9-4) would be fair for this team. We beat my expectations..
The record isn't the problem. Never had been. Four losses last year was overacheiving. Four losses this year is mehhhh, but I wouldn't mind if the direction of the program, specfically the players looking like the are being developed and recruiting per the norm at UF.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Two last points from me on this...

1. I don't think I'm a 'pumper' - I'm just not a dumper. I root hard for them and show positivity during the games, but outside of a game thread, I'll bet nobody can find a post where I'm pumping. ...not for the last 4 years or more. This is a false dichotomy - you're either a dumper or a pumper. I'm no dumper and I haven't made up my mind on this current HC and his staff.

2. Who is fist pumping? Again, not me. I see some people celebrating a bowl win and the associated lift it could give to recruiting and our own feelings over the off-season, but I don't see people saying, "See!! See!! I told you we were awesome!! Give it one more year and we'll be in the CFPlayoff!!" I'm just glad we won.
There's been a bunch of that going on, but I get that you don't notice it and it's not surprising.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.