Who do you think was MVP of the O&B Debut?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
So...
Are we even the slightest bit worried that Toney is only 5' 11"?
He may be the next 'Treony' - albeit with more elusiveness.
(Lamar Jackson is 6' 3" by the way)
There's a huge difference between 5'11 and being a Pygmy....

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This will be a long off season to discuss what we saw last night. My observations after chewing on it a bit more....

1.) It was vanilla. And pretty much by Mac's design no doubt. We were not going to see anything than our basic stuff. Pretty much what Nussy is getting blasted for. So nothing helped in that situation. And obviously we did not want Hardbalz seeing anything that they may be working on for Franks.

2.) Anyone that thought our questions regarding Mac, Nuss, and this staff were not going to be answered last night. Not sure why anyone would have thought so. This was going to be basic and leaving us scratching our heads. Many of us called that for various reasons.

3.) Shannon was calling all kinds of stunts and rushing the QB. IMO, good stuff. One to get this D ready, and Two...the QB's need some live fire.

4.) Toney was a surprise. But.....Nuss did keep is very simple for him and it was against the 2's. Very promising....but....lets see how he progresses and can he hit someone down field unlike Freon? We'll have to see. But it is evident we'll need him on the field in some way this fall. He seems to be a playmaker.

5.) Unless we missed it....NO INJURIES to speak of. It was nice seeing Massey run around out there. I'm sure he's ready, but I think Mac will not allow him to do anything except get out of bed and go to class until the opener. And with that keep him off the damned KO team. Please.

I think more of last night was just going through the motions. We will not know anything until 9/2. We'll have a good indication but even with that....There will be huge questions marks about Meatchicken as well. The opener will give us an indication. By the UT or so, we'll know for sure. With that we'll all be bloviating til SEC Media Days. It's going to be a LOOOOONG Summer until then.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's home-made video of the opening drive but it works. Franks leads Hammond perfectly on the deep toss. Scarlett is as good bulling through defenders as he is running around them.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
There's a huge difference between 5'11 and being a Pygmy....

My point was - there were a gazillion references to Treon not being able to see over the linemen in front of him (thus leading to a butt load of roll outs) and Treon is also 5'11" - not a pygmy either.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Toney looked good but sure that was against the 2's, but none the less very promising. I don't think you can really say or see anything out of what we saw on the field last night.
Go back and rewatch....Cece, Bryan, Washington, Harris, Joseph and others were in on 2 of his series...

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
If Zaire is allowed to come here he'll start unless LDR is healthy. Buy a bunch of stock in bud light and liqour. This going to be a long year and I have zero doubt Harbaugh destroys this team 45-6

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
My point was - there were a gazillion references to Treon not being able to see over the linemen in front of him (thus leading to a butt load of roll outs) and Treon is also 5'11" - not a pygmy either.
Rosters sometimes lie....Treon was about 5'8" and a noodle arm. Toney can throw a football 75 yards off his knees.....Rex Grossman was only about 5'11", maybe 6' at best, Drew Brees maybe 6' and many other great ones...It's more about knowing where and when to throw as well as having the ability to keep your eyes open downfield when sh!t breaksdown than it is to be 6'4"...JD was 6'4' but had terrible field vision.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Franks reminded me of Doug Johnson only not as talented...yes, that's bad. Trask looked ok with the 1's, but horrible otherwise. Toney was electric, but if he can't throw (not saying he can't) we'd just see 9 in run support. LDR is going to the nod again unless he is seriously hurt or pussified. No MVP last night, it was awful. Our boys have a long summer ahead of them.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
No, there have been plenty of 5'11" and 6'0" QBs. Some have even won Heismans.

Only the morons on this board think height is a big issue.

It certainly is ... I can't tell you the # of times I hid tearful in the broom closet at work 'cause co-workers made fun of my height.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
My MVP is Toney. For his speed, "quicker-than-all-others-ness" his solid size impressed me. Is he
physically kinda like Percy? Toney has had to minimum time at CFB to make those escapes. He is a reliable true freshman bringing excitement/hope more than any particular Sophomore or junior or senior. Good Coaching-developers would implement a special way of assuring Toney absolutely knows that Playbook! Toney should be ready to take over for Franks if Fielipe gets dinged or if Fielipe is going in a downward spiral effective-wise.

But Toney should also be used in flanker (whatever's a better name) for passes, for runs from there etc.
Seems running a deep route, Toney would be the best we have at getting clear clearance. Quite a change-of-pace ball-carrier. Summer through Fall Toney will improve the most of all our players. And don't forget that true freshman Gamble at TE. He's gonna improve a lot too. Eddie's gonna make 9 out of 10 FGs from 50 inward. Townsend's gonna pin them deep. Our 2 RBs Perrine & Scarlett are gonna grind it out and also crush it. We've got some tools to do the job.

Now, as we downgrade our O & B playing groups & individuals, are we considering critiquing many of our SEC opponents. If they merely show a weak spot a time or two, Toney will burn them, Callaway too, if our QB can get it to them. Come the end of Fall Franks and Toney will be more worthy QBs.??

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Powells production drops off every year.
Powell is a special teams player and that it! Dude falls down before he's ever hit,he's slow and most of all that foot has never healed up properly. Put Massey/Toney/Wells in the slot and be done with it. If Powell gets his panties in a bunch about the move...tell him thank you for your contribution to the team...tell him he can finish up his scholarship...then boot his a$$ off the team...end of story!

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Luke Del Taco was the MVP of the Orange and Blue game. He didn't do anything this spring and yet, he will be the starter game 1 vs. Michigan.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Toney brought high energy levels to QB, thought both Franks and Trask were, meh, definitely concerning. Trask was bad with the twos and okay with the ones. Trask and Thompson dropping the ball were the big disappointments for me. Thompson runs really well in space, but....

Toney is definitely quick, not like Treon at all, also appears to have a cannon

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Well I watched it tonight. My thoughts are:

1. Franks did not look very good to me. He still has an irratic arm. I personally thought Trask looked better. I did not think Toney looked very good at all, better throwing that what I had read here before watching and not as good running.

2. UF's offense is just offensive. It really is a losers offense. It is a bad NFL chicken offense. Better players may execute it better this year, but it really is the Saban-Muschamp-McElwain-Nussmeier offense.

3. You could tell little about the defense. I guess the DBs looked pretty good. It seemed the defense in general were not trackling to the ground or making big hits.

4. Callaway looked very good, but he should against UF's second team DBs.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
On a positive note the young TE, Gamble got a lot of reps. If we continue down this path of mostly thud thud football it will be key to get this young man involved and get his head deep into the playbook. I like our other TE's in a flex role however we need a true los masher at the TE position for the majority of offensive downs. I didn't watch his blocking which is probably where most young TE's struggle so I'd really hope he gets very familiar with the weightroom and training table. They listed him at 249# but he didn't look that big to me? Anyone know what he came in at?

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Some say 14-0 and some say 5-7 so I will say in the middle 11-3. Go Gators!!

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Well I watched it tonight. My thoughts are:

1. Franks did not look very good to me. He still has an irratic arm. I personally thought Trask looked better. I did not think Toney looked very good at all, better throwing that what I had read here before watching and not as good running.
tom-delonge-wtf1.gif

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, my fan SOP is that I don't negatively opinion the 'next' TEAM until I see them play in League. At that point, we're zealot maniacs beating our chest, gouging our eyes out and drinking heavily or somewhere in between. Who's going to step up, developed into or be the surprise hero? That's the off season. Until the new team is showing me no fight and want to, I'm all in for a competitive SEC campaign... just saying
Go Gators!
:yes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator