Who do you think was MVP of the O&B Debut?

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I re watched the game and came away with the opinion that Franks should be serviceable. If our oline is improved and gives him a little time I think we will be OK. Trask simply ran for his life and looked lost. Toney better be given some packages. It was only scrimmage but it appears our defense is already better under Shannon but time will tell.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
In my head, ironic as this coaching roulette wheel is, I'm really content to have the ex-'cane leading the D. Coach has been around some attacking units. Here's to our D quickly developing into an Oline wrecking, QB sacking story line.
:cool:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
As far as the #1's are concerned on defense I believe they're pretty decent and seem to run well....What scares me is if they will hold up under a 3 and out special of an offense when we get into the meat grinder part of the season. Without Reese the middle looks a tad soft. I'm not sure who else will be repping in the middle but someone needs to. For the last 3-4 years we've gotten away with playing a little smaller in the middle, Davis and Morrisson, because we had studs in front of them like Bullard & Brantley.....We don't have that luxury this year.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
As far as the #1's are concerned on defense I believe they're pretty decent and seem to run well....What scares me is if they will hold up under a 3 and out special of an offense when we get into the meat grinder part of the season. Without Reese the middle looks a tad soft. I'm not sure who else will be repping in the middle but someone needs to. For the last 3-4 years we've gotten away with playing a little smaller in the middle, Davis and Morrisson, because we had studs in front of them like Bullard & Brantley.....We don't have that luxury this year.

Yep I think the defense is going to have issues against our opponents that like to pound it some. At least the depth will be at its best against Michigan in the opener but Michigan will tell us real quick probably if we are going to have issues stopping the run.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If Zaire is allowed to come here he'll start unless LDR is healthy. Buy a bunch of stock in bud light and liqour. This going to be a long year and I have zero doubt Harbaugh destroys this team 45-6

:lol: You think our defense is that bad? Not saying it couldn't happen but it would probably take the QBs throwing a bunch of picks or something.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Found this on FB. Wow, this kid is explosive. You need to find a way -- any way you can -- to get the ball in space to a player with this combo of speed and moves. I think we'll see a lot of him in 2017, but not necessarily at QB.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I can tell you right now that 25 is NOT Scarlett and is some scrub. Things are not always what they appear to be.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah Mac is going to need to find some touches for Toney in every game. Kid has crazy athleticism, and you can't teach that.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Found this on FB. Wow, this kid is explosive. You need to find a way -- any way you can -- to get the ball in space to a player with this combo of speed and moves. I think we'll see a lot of him in 2017, but not necessarily at QB.

Well its a little easier to look explosive with walk ons chasing you. The kid does appear to be a gamer but not sure if he is someone that would be a good SEC QB. It wouldn't shock me if he starts at some point this season however if we don't get another transfer QB in here.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm thinking bigger picture, Fever. What we've been lacking in most, playmakers, is beginning to look different. Suddenly you've got Callaway, Scarlett, Toney and Franks all on the field at one time and the dynamic is different, a lot different. It stretches defenses and keeps them more honest.

But it goes even further IMO. Surround the redshirt freshman QB with lots of explosive players and maybe the coaching staff doesn't have to ask him to win games, which allows him more time to develop and get comfortable.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
When I watch Toney, I wonder if he could be an SEC QB or not and then I watch again and I think hey, lets make this guy our starter and see what happens... I will be pissed if he doesnt see the field.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think we'll see a lot of him in 2017, but not necessarily at QB.
Maybe.... but he has already seen half the practices he is going to see before the opener and every one has been at QB.

He is a freshman, they arent going to just move him to slot in three weeks. He isnt some polished HS receiver even. I dont think he has ever played a down at WR.

Zaire might change things but I think he will be the second QB we see this fall, regardless of whether the starter is LDR or Franks. Toney's playbook will be small, just zone read wildcat type stuff. Remember its new for everyone, new plays for the entire offense.

Zaire may change that and take those snaps if he comes.

No doubt in my mind that we are going that way on offense. We obviously arent doing anything with Nussball.

Last edited:

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
When I watch Toney, I wonder if he could be an SEC QB or not and then I watch again and I think hey, lets make this guy our starter and see what happens... I will be pissed if he doesnt see the field.
I think he will see the field, might even get to throw, but he won't be the starter. Franks isn't 100% there, but he's well on his way.
We have some versatility on the field, we'll just need the o line to hold up on offense. I'm excited about the running game if they do.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I wouldn't have a problem seeing Toney get some reps vs Michigan. And not just for read/option stuff, give him a couple of plays with a run/pass option and see what he does...When you get a athletic guy like this a boost in confidence,think Watson, Jackson or Manzel, the sky can be the limit. The more I think about it the more I like this Michigan game as our first game...It will give the coaches a chance to try some stuff out against real competition and since it's not a conference game being the first game of the season it will be a great place to dial some stuff in without the risk of losing a meaningful game or post season ranking.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I wouldn't have a problem seeing Toney get some reps vs Michigan. And not just for read/option stuff, give him a couple of plays with a run/pass option and see what he does...When you get a athletic guy like this a boost in confidence,think Watson, Jackson or Manzel, the sky can be the limit. The more I think about it the more I like this Michigan game as our first game...It will give the coaches a chance to try some stuff out against real competition and since it's not a conference game being the first game of the season it will be a great place to dial some stuff in without the risk of losing a meaningful game or post season ranking.

Mich lost a lot of guys and so did we. The last time Harbaugh had his way with us that was basically a home game. Mac could really step his rep up big time by winning it. It would give us some national juice.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe.... but he has already seen half the practices he is going to see before the opener and every one has been at QB.

He is a freshman, they arent going to just move him to slot in three weeks. He isnt some polished HS receiver even. I dont think he has ever played a down at WR.

As I said in my previous post, you get the ball in his hands anyway you can. If that means a special package, you do it. If his play is limited because of inexperience, you gradually get him up to speed. You do whatever you have to do knowing you have to get the ball in the hands of the people who give you the best chance to score.

Harvin wasn't an every down player as a freshman, but he had a big impact on the final result, esp in Glendale.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
As I said in my previous post, you get the ball in his hands anyway you can. If that means a special package, you do it. If his play is limited because of inexperience, you gradually get him up to speed. You do whatever you have to do knowing you have to get the ball in the hands of the people who give you the best chance to score.

Harvin wasn't an every down player as a freshman, but he had a big impact on the final result, esp in Glendale.

Yep.
*I'm not comparing Toney to Tebow
Tebow played within a "limited package" situation in 2006 and that worked out pretty good. Toney, while not Tebow, could perform in a similar fashion. The bigger issue is that LDR, Franks, and Trask aren't Leak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator