Who do you think was MVP of the O&B Debut?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
As I said in my previous post, you get the ball in his hands anyway you can. If that means a special package, you do it. If his play is limited because of inexperience, you gradually get him up to speed. You do whatever you have to do knowing you have to get the ball in the hands of the people who give you the best chance to score.

Harvin wasn't an every down player as a freshman, but he had a big impact on the final result, esp in Glendale.

i guess I look at it like this...we can't execute simple plays and now we want to add wrinkles?

Sorry...just not seeing it. Our OC sucks about as bad as you can in FBS and now all of a sudden we want him to add another dimension? I think you guys are asking way too much.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
No, there have been plenty of 5'11" and 6'0" QBs. Some have even won Heismans.

Only the morons on this board think height is a big issue.
Midget QBs are the exception not the rule. It's a hinderance not a help and only a moron would think otherwise. Give me a QB that can stand in the pocket and see over the line. Let's not ignore the fact that our O-line isn't built to block for a smurf scrambler. Toney and his ilk are gadget QB's

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
i guess I look at it like this...we can't execute simple plays and now we want to add wrinkles?

Sorry...just not seeing it. Our OC sucks about as bad as you can in FBS and now all of a sudden we want him to add another dimension? I think you guys are asking way too much.

Nussmeier does as advertised, adapting to a new set of playmakers, making us all happier, or the woefulness of it all hastens Mac's exit or forces him to change OCs for year #4. That's a virtual win-win in my book.

If you can't score points by the third year of your regime, esp with the talent that's been added, then something is terribly wrong.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
a
Nussmeier does as advertised, adapting to a new set of playmakers, making us all happier, or the woefulness of it all hastens Mac's exit or forces him to change OCs for year #4. That's a virtual win-win in my book.

If you can't score points by the third year of your regime, esp with the talent that's been added, then something is terribly wrong.
I totally agree with all of your post. Apparently, we run a very complex offense. We don't execute that well so adding to the playbook seems insane.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014

Agree. What I dont get is how Nuss can script a few good drives making us think we have something and then we go right back to more of the same. It a hair puller for sure.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
a

I totally agree with all of your post. Apparently, we run a very complex offense. We don't execute that well so adding to the playbook seems insane.
It would certainly seem that way. That is what is so frustrating about Nuss and this offense. After Friday night I am certain that along with Massey being back, Toney is going to have to be on the field is Franks is at QB. He looks as if he can be a gamer.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Agree. What I dont get is how Nuss can script a few good drives making us think we have something and then we go right back to more of the same. It a hair puller for sure.
Perhaps he isn't scripting on his own...or at all

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Give me a QB that can stand in the pocket and see over the line.
Ok, I'll give you a 6'4" Jeff Driskel for your team and I'll take a 5'11 Rex Grossman for mine........It's just not as simple as that Threat. A good QB "knows" how to see the field... A bad one can be Kareem Abdul Jabbar and it won't help a bit.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
You watch Nuss on the sidelines during this season. He'll lean towards his assistant and say: "That's not one of my plays, damn Toney. Well, I'm not taking the blame for those 30 yards gained."

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
I did not see anything to indicate the offense has taken a major step forward. Franks could have benefited from game experience last season but McElwain, in his infinite wisdom, chose not to do that. And I don't see Trask being a factor at all. I shudder to think that LDR will be our starter on opening day.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Just say no to Read Option Football please... throw Toney the ball in space... run Toney, run!

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Ok, I'll give you a 6'4" Jeff Driskel for your team and I'll take a 5'11 Rex Grossman for mine........It's just not as simple as that Threat. A good QB "knows" how to see the field... A bad one can be Kareem Abdul Jabbar and it won't help a bit.
Grossman was a true NFL measured 6'1". Get your facts straight. Besides that an exception to the rule proves the rule. The defense on midgets is simple, give him a pocket and put your hands up. Treon 2.0.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
I think Callaway was outstanding. He jumped over a guy on his first catch. He ran a beautiful corner route on his TD catch. Really nice pass by Franks on that one. So I'd give my MVP vote to Callaway. Scarlett had an honorable mention game. He's definitely ready to go over 1,000 yds for this season. Dude is running with a chip on his shoulder. Joseph on the D side. Moon had a great hit on Thompson on the sidelines. Just trying to get my mention in on who I thought looked good. I show up early every year(spring game). I'm one of the rare fans that really enjoys going. I've only missed a couple in person in the last 25 years.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You mean other than wasting another year?

I spent some time reviewing watching the spring game again. Pay attention to the first series. We had walkon LB RJ Raymond playing DT and he absolutely owned Fred Johnson, especially on the goaline.

We still have feal problems on the OL.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Grossman was a true NFL measured 6'1". Get your facts straight. Besides that an exception to the rule proves the rule. The defense on midgets is simple, give him a pocket and put your hands up. Treon 2.0.
That's funny because I've stood right next to Rex and being 6' 3" myself can tell you he probably wasn't quite 6'...But I'm sure ALL ROSTERS ARE 100% ACCURATE, right??? How tall was Manzel? How tall is Drew Brees? How tall was Doug Flutie? Or hundreds of successful QB's, particularly in CFB? Toney is 5'11' he's not 5'7" or 5' 8" but I think we all know your real problem with him isn't his height.....is it?

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Our next Percy Harvin. Excitement is back on the offensive side.

Attachments

• IMG_2413.PNG
    IMG_2413.PNG
    809.8 KB · Views: 65

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Just say no to Read Option Football please... throw Toney the ball in space... run Toney, run!
I agree because we haven't been building our offense to run that brand of football. The blocking schemes are a little different and trying to do too much doesn't seem productive to me. Less to learn for a young developing offensive line. However until we know that Toney isn't a decent passer I'd like to see someone back there with a chance of beating a blitz with either his arm or feet.....I'm not sure anyone else on the roster has that ability. If Toney is basically just a runner "packaging" him will only work with limited success.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator