Who might replace Freeze at Ole Miss?

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I'll throw in my uninformed take. There's been a dropoff in the West, but for the most part it's remained fairly strong. The biggest change has been to the East -- esp Florida and Tennessee, where back-to-back experiments with coaches ended in failure or temporary doubt. That translates to six to 10 years of subpar performance that is very difficult to recover from.

You change the Florida and Tennessee struggles and the complexion is very different for the SEC.

Agreed.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I like it. He'll be a thorn in Saban's side again, and not in ours!

I think Miles would be a good choice. However, they may be better off going the route of interim HC until they see how bad they get hammered. If they are able to minimize the punishment then the pool of potential HCs thereafter opens up quite a bit.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Thats crazy. There was never anything risky about Miles. His idea of risky was only running that toss smash thing they ran only 30 times in a row instead of 50. Richt just isnt a good gameday coach. He can recruit well enough to be a second tier guy but he is never going to win anything. Too vanilla.

I don't think you're giving Miles enough credit. Is he the all time greatest? No, and he did some stupid things (including not developing a QB too often). But let's be truthful, if he didn't have the bad luck of being in the same division as Saban during one of the greatest runs of all time the guy would have at least one, if not two, more NCs to his credit. He's a better coach than you make him out to be.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think you're giving Miles enough credit. Is he the all time greatest? No, and he did some stupid things (including not developing a QB too often). But let's be truthful, if he didn't have the bad luck of being in the same division as Saban during one of the greatest runs of all time the guy would have at least one, if not two, more NCs to his credit. He's a better coach than you make him out to be.
No he's not. He had a ridiculous amount of talent and ran it up the middle 70 times a game . I'll give him props for recruiting but Mississippi ain't stocked like Louisiana.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I take Miles but I bet if he does much of anything he might get a better job. He has success in the SEC and is very experienced. Not to mention he wants the job. It would be his if I was involved unless he wanted a lot of money.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, I see his point, but he will always be a Nole douche.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
With Shea Patterson at QB and some good receivers the offense might surprise. The weakness will be defense and it was porous last year.

If Matt Like can win 6 games as interim coach then keep him. No up-and-comer is going to take this job so go with an out of work veteran coach at the end of his career. Les Miles has been mentioned. Is Phil Fulmer too old?

In hindsight Ole Miss' biggest mistake was when they fired David Cutcliffe.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
With Shane Patterson at QB and some good receivers the offense might surprise. The weakness will be defense and it was porous last year.
Yeah... no chance Les Miles has any clue what to do with a QB. It will be up-the-middle 50 times a game just like every other Les Miles team.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I say if Ole Miss could get Miles that's their best option. Solid coach that can recruit his tail off and will get them thru the sanctions (that the NCAA may or may not levy above and beyond self inflected) coming. If not, I think Dooley is a good back up plan. Shula would be too.

I see both Dooley & Shula as stop gaps to get them thru the sanction period only, and then they could move onto their next coach. The same way USC used Kiffin.

There are other names that you could fill in for Dooley & Shula, but I don't see a top tier coach outside of Miles walking thru that door.

westflgator

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You're addressing the effect. I'm asking the cause.
I believe it's a combination of parody in recruiting, due to several factors, and the Saban/SEC mind set of playing with a strong defense, controlling the clock, and trying to wear the other team down. This isn't a crowd pleasing, light up the scoreboard, big play after big play, kind of mind set. It's more of a methodical game plan that really begins to show up in the 4th quarter of games. Saban has been very successful with this game plan and many other coaches have adopted a similar game plan but don't have the horses to pull it off like Saban does, therefore you wind up with a bunch of teams who put out mediocre offensive performances and wind up with 8-5 records.

Last edited:

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I believe it's a combination of parody in recruiting, due to several factors, and the Saban/SEC mind set of playing with a strong defense, controlling the clock, and trying to wear the other team down. This isn't a crowd pleasing, light up the scoreboard, big play after big play, kind of mind set. It's more of a methodical game plan that really begins to show up in the 4th quarter of games. Saban has been very successful with this game plan and many other coaches have adopted a similar game plan but don't have the horses to pull it off like Saban does, therefore you wind up with a bunch of teams who put out mediocre offensive performances and wind up with 8-5 records.

Saban pulls it off because his roster is 3 deep with 4 and 5 star talent. Nobody has the talent and depth to match that. The only reason Clemson won the NC last year was because the refs allowed Clemson's offense to run pick plays in the red zone to score. TWICE!

westflgator

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Saban pulls it off because his roster is 3 deep with 4 and 5 star talent. Nobody has the talent and depth to match that. The only reason Clemson won the NC last year was because the refs allowed Clemson's offense to run pick plays in the red zone to score. TWICE!
Agreed...as stated in my previous post. "Saban has been very successful with this game plan and many other coaches have adopted a similar game plan but don't have the horses to pull it off like Saban does"

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

Right Nav, to earn more TV funds for the program, Bama could, for the same day same kickoff time, play a televised home game and a televised away game. And stomp whoever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator