Will Grier transferring, free to go to ANY school

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
He was being trashed all over social media.
To be fair, he effed up and got himself suspended. What was he expecting, praise?

I don't think that had one iota with him leaving.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Didnt say it was right or wrong, just that it happened. Its all complete speculation at this point anyhow. Maybe one day he spills the beans maybe not.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Here's how I believe it all works.

-Obviously if he would have stayed at UF he could have played Mid 2016.
-If he goes FCS he can play mid 2016 since he just has to finish his suspension, not sit out a year.
-If he goes straight to FBS he can't play until Mid 2017 since he sits out a year then finishes his suspension.
-If he goes JC he can play immediately but gets no credit for his suspension. So if he wants to transfer back to FBS (or FCS but no reason to do that after going JUCO) he just has to finish his suspension but no longer has to sit out a year because of the JUCO year so he would be eligible Mid 2017.

So looking at all those options JUCO seems to make the most sense because by the end of the year he is eligible for the Draft, and if he develops further he would likely be a highly regarded QB in the 2017 NFL Draft. This option also is the only one that lets him give the finger to the NCCA and tell them to shove their suspension which seems like it would be appealing to this spoiled family. And if he doesn't project well for the 2017 draft he can then transfer to FBS finish his suspension and didn't lose anything, so JUCO seems the most likely.

Second most likely might be FCS. It would allow him to work toward a degree at a University, not JUCO where he should have already finished all those courses anyway. Then at the end of the FCS playoffs and a possible championship, he again is eligible for the 2017 NFL draft, or stays and plays another year of FCS if he isn't projected to be drafted high enough for Chad's liking.

Least likely would be to go straight to FBS since he can't play for another year and a half and will have missed 2 full years since his last snap in 2015 and first in 2017.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
-If he goes FCS he can play mid 2016 since he just has to finish his suspension, not sit out a year.

He can play FCS immediately in 2016. The suspension is only enforceable at an FBS level. So if he transfers from FCS to FBS he'll have to sit out the remaining games in 2017.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
He can play FCS immediately in 2016. The suspension is only enforceable at an FBS level. So if he transfers from FCS to FBS he'll have to sit out the remaining games in 2017.

I thought that the FCS was under the jurisdiction of the NCAA? Is that not correct?

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Nope, the only route where he can play immediately is JC. The suspension is from the NCCA which governs FCS and FBS. He has to serve a full year suspension before being eligible to play for any school under the NCAA's regulation. JUCO's aren't NCAA which is why the suspension isn't enforceable there.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think it's any more complicated than that. I'm not sure they ever got along well. He wanted the same promise he got from Dawgshyt.

Last edited:

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I didn't mean FCS. I meant JC. I think he has to transfer to JC to avoid the transfer penalty, no?
Correct
I'm not sure they ever got along well.

I don't think it's any more complicated than that.

He wanted the same promise he got from Dawgshyt.
Maybe we should have given it to him. It wouldn't have been binding anyway. It's going to suck when the only 2 successful NFL starting QB's from UF are Scam and Willie G.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I find it very hard to believe he has no school restrictions.

My thinking as well. I've read the quote from yesterday, but even the articles author states that Mac sort of sidestepped the issue. He doesn't say he's free to go wherever he'd like. He simply takes the high road by vaguely saying he'll support WG fully, while also acknowledging that he doesn't want to line up against him. I see this as being similar to the "they're neck and neck" comments about the QB race going into the season. If he's shown anything, it's an ability to kind of "aww shucks" a situation and avoid backing himself into a corner.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I find it very hard to believe he has no school restrictions.
First of all it has been traditional for us to release players without restriction, taking the higher ground on the transfer issue vs the sometime almost vindictive stance taken by others.

Also it doesn't make that much sense to put restrictions since if he wants to go straight to any school we wouldn't want him to go to her couldn't play for them until mid 2017 anyway. If he wants to go to UGA for instance and we don't restrict him, he goes there but can't play until 7th game 2017. If we restrict him from going to UGA he then goes JC for 2016 and then can transfer wherever he wants including UGA in 2017 anyway. Since the restrictions aren't really enforceable anyway due to his unusual situation, why change our own policy?

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
My thinking as well. I've read the quote from yesterday, but even the articles author states that Mac sort of sidestepped the issue. He doesn't say he's free to go wherever he'd like. He simply takes the high road by vaguely saying he'll support WG fully, while also acknowledging that he doesn't want to line up against him. I see this as being similar to the "they're neck and neck" comments about the QB race going into the season. If he's shown anything, it's an ability to kind of "aww shucks" a situation and avoid backing himself into a corner.
see my post above. We can't stop him from playing wherever he wants game 7, 2017 anyway so why bother looking butt-hurt to other recruits? Take the high road in this case.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
First of all it has been traditional for us to release players without restriction, taking the higher ground on the transfer issue vs the sometime almost vindictive stance taken by others.

Also it doesn't make that much sense to put restrictions since if he wants to go straight to any school we wouldn't want him to go to her couldn't play for them until mid 2017 anyway. If he wants to go to UGA for instance and we don't restrict him, he goes there but can't play until 7th game 2017. If we restrict him from going to UGA he then goes JC for 2016 and then can transfer wherever he wants including UGA in 2017 anyway. Since the restrictions aren't really enforceable anyway due to his unusual situation, why change our own policy?
This is great analysis. Mac takes the high road, with no risk. If WG goes to a rival, they're stuck with the dilemma of how many reps to give a guy who can't play....but for a year longer.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I still wonder if we ran him off. There's no scenario better for him than staying at uf.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
High road, dumb road. "Here's our playbook kid. Take it wherever you want. We know you'll do the right thing because you've shown the ability to make the correct decisions in the past."

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I still wonder if we ran him off. There's no scenario better for him than staying at uf.
Probably, for reasons that we don't know. There are too many rumors of off-field issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.