Will Grier transferring, free to go to ANY school

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If he goes JUCO, then he still has to sit 6 games whenever he goes to any NCAA governed institution.

I'm talking about us restricting him to specific schools. He will have to pay the NCAA penalty.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure it matters unless he's transferring immediately to sit out a year at another FBS school. Which wouldn't make any sense. He must be transferring to JC and then signing with a new FBS school. If that's the case, he's signing with the FBS school straight from JC. So no stipulations should apply. Regardless of what restrictions you put on him he could go wherever he wants.

At least I think that's the case. I think the restrictions only matter if he's immediately transferring into an FBS school.
I'm not really that worried about it, because we won't face the possibility of seeing him until late 2017 or 2018. I'd just prefer to know the official answer and that the SEC and FSU are out. :lol:

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If he ends up at USCe Muschamp will ruin him like every other QB that gets within his aura of incompetence.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Who cares? This guy has taken up too much of our time and energy. He clearly didn't care about UF as much as he's getting attention.

**** him. He's dead to me now.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I can't think of an instance where UF has restricted transfers under Foley. Not saying it didn't happen but I can't think of a time

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I can't think of an instance where UF has restricted transfers under Foley. Not saying it didn't happen but I can't think of a time

Spurrier was not told what to do in these matters by Foley. I seem to remember Spurrier originated this thinking of if you didn't want to be a Gator it was fine with him, haul ass. I know Hambrick left and went to South Carolina after the fight in NOLA at the bowl game meal, but in this case Spurrier threw him off the team.

Last edited:

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014

I guess when I read that it wasn't clear to me that he signed off on SEC schools. I'm sure there is a lot that I don't know, but I don't know why you sign off on an SEC school or any school that may be competitive with us. The kid and family are screwing us, and not sure why we have to bend over backward to give him whatever he wants, unless Mac wanted him to go.

I know coaching is hard, and there may be good reasons for why Mac has handled it this way, but college is becoming more like pro, in that you have to manage egos. Mac strikes me as entirely too laid back in this whole thing, first letting the kid come to the conclusion he's not wanted, then apparently not lobbying him to stay and then letting him go wherever he wants? I don't get why you spend all this time and effort trying to land HS recruits who have never played a down of college FB, but you just throw your hands up with a kid who obviously has talent but is a bit of a head case.

None of this makes a hell of a lot of sense to me. But again, I fully realize there may be more here than we know.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I guess when I read that it wasn't clear to me that he signed off on SEC schools. I'm sure there is a lot that I don't know, but I don't know why you sign off on an SEC school or any school that may be competitive with us. The kid and family are screwing us, and not sure why we have to bend over backward to give him whatever he wants, unless Mac wanted him to go.

I know coaching is hard, and there may be good reasons for why Mac has handled it this way, but college is becoming more like pro, in that you have to manage egos. Mac strikes me as entirely too laid back in this whole thing, first letting the kid come to the conclusion he's not wanted, then apparently not lobbying him to stay and then letting him go wherever he wants? I don't get why you spend all this time and effort trying to land HS recruits who have never played a down of college FB, but you just throw your hands up with a kid who obviously has talent but is a bit of a head case.

None of this makes a hell of a lot of sense to me. But again, I fully realize there may be more here than we know.

This whole situation mystifies me because Grier looks like he could become a great QB. Sometimes the best recruit is one of your own players, but, of course, we don't know all the facts as to how Mac is thinking or why.

If Grier is allowed to go wherever he wants, it is because of Foley, who learned it from Spurrier. If you don't want to be a Gator, haul ass was Spurrier's philosophy for players AND coaches. Of course Spurrier was good enough that it didn't matter one iota. Mac and Foley....not so much.

It is just stupid to let a player go to your future opponents and potentially come back and beat your ass. No other school allows that kind of nonsense.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It still dumbfounds me that this kid is willingly taking himself out of major college football until halfway through 2017, which means he won't have a legitimate chance of starting another major game until the beginning of his senior season, and he's only a freshman right now. Can't wrap my brain around it.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
This whole situation mystifies me because Grier looks like he could become a great QB. Sometimes the best recruit is one of your own players, but, of course, we don't know all the facts as to how Mac is thinking or why.

If Grier is allowed to go wherever he wants, it is because of Foley, who learned it from Spurrier. If you don't want to be a Gator, haul ass was Spurrier's philosophy for players AND coaches. Of course Spurrier was good enough that it didn't matter one iota. Mac and Foley....not so much.

It is just stupid to let a player go to your future opponents and potentially come back and beat your ass. No other school allows that kind of nonsense.

I kind of get the feeling that we are watching Mac learn the ropes, for better or for worse. He is new as a HC on a big time level. What works at Colorado State may not work so well at the ultracompetitive SEC with many talented kids with egos just as big.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Man, **** Spurrier too.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It still dumbfounds me that this kid is willingly taking himself out of major college football until halfway through 2017, which means he won't have a legitimate chance of starting another major game until the beginning of his senior season, and he's only a freshman right now. Can't wrap my brain around it.
Well, if he went JUCO, then he'd only sit out 6 games in 2016 and then finish the rest of the season. Transfer in 2017 and be a starter his Redshirt Junior season, right?

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Well, if he went JUCO, then he'd only sit out 6 games in 2016 and then finish the rest of the season. Transfer in 2017 and be a starter his Redshirt Junior season, right?
Nope. JC level isn't run by the NCAA, so his NCAA suspension would stop until he came back to an NCAA institution. Once he signed with any level NCAA school, the suspension would pick back up where it left off and he would have to serve the remainder. He also can't serve his mandated year off from transferring at the same time as the PED suspension. So any way he goes, he won't be eligible for NCAA competition until October 2017.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It appears that he can't serve his penalty at JUCO. He could play the whole 2016 season there, but he would have to serve the rest of his penalty once he returns to FBS in 2017.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nope...sorry. He can't play FBS or FCS until half way through 2017.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.