Will we see a more aggressive offense under McElwain/Nussmeier?

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This probably seems like a ridiculous question given how inept the previous regime was, but it's a legitimate question. More specifically, will we see the same pattern of playcalling in the redzone:

1st down: Run the ball
2nd down: Run the ball out of the wildcat
3rd down: Throw a short pass behind the first down marker
4th down: Kick a field goal

Also, how many games do you think it'll take before Coach Mac takes the training wheels off Will Grier (I presume he'll be the starter) and opens up the offense?

Attachments

• conv_3624.jpg
    conv_3624.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 33

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I doubt if Grier is the starter he will be running from the Wildcat. I think we may start off kind of conservative until the young guys get their legs under them. I think we will end up 50/50 run pass...if we don't it could be a very long season.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
At csu they threw for 3700 and 4000 yards the last 2 years. With the offensive line not being our biggest strength I doubt he runs an offense like he's at Alabama.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think it will be pretty bad this first season and once we get into the heart of the SEC schedule Law may be correct and we will be calling Nuss - Nusschamp. Hopefully by the 2nd season it really gets on track. Its hard to have too much faith in it with the situation we are in.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n242562 said:
At csu they threw for 3700 and 4000 yards the last 2 years. With the offensive line not being our biggest strength I doubt he runs an offense like he's at Alabama.
Too bad we didn't hire that OC.

What were Nussie's numbers over the last 4 years?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You would think by default Nuss had to have some big numbers at Bama with the offensive lines they had those years.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n242562 said:

Well, Grayson Garrett was a Junior and a Senior the last 2 years, so I'm sure Mac had more confidence in him to throw the ball than he will in Grier or Harris this year. I'm just wondering how long it will take before we see the "real" offense. Hell, I'd be happy to even see us attempt a fade in the redzone this year. We rarely even did that when Urban was the coach here.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n242570 said:

I know it's a hard concept for you but most offensive coaches run the offense or atleast have something to do with it.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That OC ran a dink and dunk spread Nussy and Mac are telling everyone we will be running a "prostyle".

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n242570 said:

We did hire that OC. His name is McElwain.

Nussmier is just here to take the blame if necessary.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That OC ran a dink and dunk spread. I wrote again BC I know some of you read slowly.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
jeez, if the new staff can just coach these guys up, get the WRs running sharp routes, teach TEs to catch, lineman not to block each other and RBs to do a decent job in pass protect, we will at least have a little more going on the offensive side of things if we can stay relatively healthy.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
LongTooth;n242584 said:
jeez, if the new staff can just coach these guys up, get the WRs running sharp routes, teach TEs to catch, lineman not to block each other and RBs to do a decent job in pass protect, we will at least have a little more going on the offensive side of things if we can stay relatively healthy.

Hard to say for sure but imo it will probably go like last season where we run it up on some early patsies and then get a big reality check once SEC play starts. I guess if Ivey was the rare true freshman that is good right off the bat and that transfer is the real deal we may fare quite a bit better however.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I don't see how the offense can be less aggressive. I hope they do whatever works. If we are running the ball then keep running it. If we are moving the ball by throwing it keep doing that. Take what the defense gives you and mix it up enough to keep them on their toes.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n242585 said:
Hard to say for sure but imo it will probably go like last season where we run it up on some early patsies and then get a big reality check once SEC play starts. I guess if Ivey was the rare true freshman that is good right off the bat and that transfer is the real deal we may fare quite a bit better however.

Let's just hope that other wide receivers prove they can play SEC caliber football aside from Demarcus Robinson. If he picks up where he left off last season, teams will start to take him out of the game and somebody will have to step up and make some plays at the receiver position.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Nussy and Muschamp are two peas in a pod. If he's calling the plays it could very well look exactly like the last three years. Many, obviously, seem convinced he won't really be the OC. I pray they are right.

The offense for the last two years at CSU was very much a pass based spread. Given what has been said in the interviews, this won't be the offense.

Honestly, I have no idea what to expect, other than, due to the OL, what we see next year likely won't be what we see long-term.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n242583 said:
That OC ran a dink and dunk spread. I wrote again BC I know some of you read slowly.

You will see plenty of dinks to Powell in space. Mac will do whatever the talent is capable of executing. Hopefully there will be something...

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
A few things you may have noticed from the spring game: 1. Grier threw a back shoulder fade 2. Treon's TD throw came on a corner route 3. A trick play that didn't blow up in our face 4. Grier used the middle of the field 5. Grier has a brain. He usually chose the best route, and if he didn't its because his first read was open and got the ball out quick and on target and the best route had not developed yet. 6. Kickers were kicking with confidence and making their fgs and punting to the sideline. I believe only one punt would have had a chance to be returned. There are plenty of things you can see that are being handled and executed differently. We all know the oline is the biggest issue and a lot depends on it. Hopefully Fulwood steps up and I feel good about our TE situation.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think we will use the pass, or threat of the pass, to open up the running game. Inexperience on the line will be the deciding factor as to whether this works or not. I am ready for a long season as our team rebuilds and will take any positives at all.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n242570 said:

Law you are on record saying you don't like defensive head coaches because OCs get hired away a lot and you have to keep starting over. You've said you like having offensive head coaches because when the OC gets hired away you still more or less keep your system together. We have an offensive head coach now but for some reason we aren't going to run his system here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator