Winston Code of Conduct hearing - UPDATE - cleared of ALL charges

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Potential bad news on this question - however it makes perfect sense as to why this hearing is even happening.- I have read, but don't know if it is accurate, that regardless of the panel's decision and the recommendation that Harding suggests ( yes suggests) if ruled guilty, that (ta-da!) the president of FSU has the final say on what sanctions,is given, if any. I have also seen speculation that it is a dean that decides on the sanction after recommendation..

I think the panel usually would include dean, maybe president,( seems like their were 3 school administrators plus student reps) and they recused themselves and set up this "outside" panel so it would remove suspicion of favoritism. Harding seems to have an ethical reputation among attorneys and people who have met him ( take that for whatever it's worth) I think FSU hopes his rep witl cover their decision.

Oh, and when Cornwell was whining about no time for client to prepare, there was an article that said the details of the hearing were to be secret. I don't know if that is accurate either, but it is a hearing involving accusations about and by students ( ex student), so that might be true. If so, we may never know what the victim said, what sanction was recommended, and maybe not even their decision on guilt.

My conclusion has become, this is merely to extremely belatedly give the appearance of satisfying a Title IX requirement and the appearance of an attempt at impartiality,( this we all knew) while maintaining control of the outtcome. As has been mentioned, since winston will be gone, the function of doing this ( besides trying to appease title IX and improve the public perception of FSU a bit) would be to suggest winston is innocent and suggest the victim's story is a lie or weak, found so by an ethical judge, in order to sway public opinion, assist crab boy's NFL draft chances, and give weight to winston's arguments in a civil case ( also potentially affect juror opinion prior),

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
This "court" only has jurisdiction over students. If Winston withdraws from school 5 minutes after his last football game, the whole thing is moot.

Alex.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
On the local news tonight, WCTV revealed an investigation showing the number of sexual assault hearings that have been held over the past couple of years...29 was the number I believe I saw. More importantly than that, local attorney Tim Jansen, who has represented numerous students accused, stated on camera that everyone accused of sexual misconduct is supposed to receive a notice that all extracurricular activities are suspended until resolution of the case. 120 such notices have been handed out over the past 3 years. When the accusation was "officially" announced against Winston in August, procedures state that he should have been suspended for any activities other than being allowed to go to class until the case is resolved. Jansen stated that Winston did not get a notice.

I will try to link the story so that I can fact check myself...but Title IX investigators are going to hate this and the NCAA will now be forced to not ignore it. Lack of institutional control...they are going to find others not properly notified, particularly football players.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
thanks for the info. Just notified clune's office in case they want to get a clip of jansen saying that.or use the info in any way. ( yes, I know they have the rule already- but video would play well to a jury- or media..

Gatorhunter

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
[video]https://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/Statement-by-Jameis-Winston-Regarding-Sexual-Assault-Allegations-284797901.html?device=phone&c=y[/video]

I think this is it.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
From the article.. "He says typically with any sexual offense, violent crime or drug dealing accusation, FSU gives the student what's called an interim disciplinary action or IDA before the conduct hearing takes place."
Didn't their starting rb beat his girlfriend and play in a role in a drug deal gone wrong?

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
As soon as the criminoles season is over - either after the Oregon game or the NC - the Rapeis is gone from FSU.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n134695 said:
From the article.. "He says typically with any sexual offense, violent crime or drug dealing accusation, FSU gives the student what's called an interim disciplinary action or IDA before the conduct hearing takes place."
Didn't their starting rb beat his girlfriend and play in a role in a drug deal gone wrong?

Cmon man. Didn't you hear Jimbo? Youthful ignorance.

Gatorhunter

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;134695 said:

This is basically what we did with Treon. How an institution with even a speck of credibility should act.

BoomTown

Founding Member
Mc's Red Headed Stepchild
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
AlexDaGator;n134598 said:
This "court" only has jurisdiction over students. If Winston withdraws from school 5 minutes after his last football game, the whole thing is moot.

Alex.
Exactly. What sanctions can this court impose any way at this point even if he sticks around for a few months? They can't take away his degree. Even if they toss him out of school, it's irrelevant at this point. What they've done is so transparent, the whole thing is a joke/facade.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
While it is entirely possible, if not probable, that Winston walks from the Code of Conduct result, his case has brought to light a systemic lack of institutional control in regards to how certain students (athletes) are treated in relation to the student population as a whole. There is already a ton of evidence that Title IX procedures were not followed, that school policies were not followed, and that the TPD and FSU Police have been complicit in many cases.

So, while we may lament that Winston does not get suspended in time for the upcoming game(s), I believe that there is too much public information available for the Title IX investigators and the NCAA to ignore. Of course, I could be totally wrong. But...

The campus crisis center said publicly that they cannot help a victim unless they are notified of incidents (the director did not have to make a public statement).
Tim Jansen essentially admits that Winston was treated differently than others accused of similar actions (throwing him under the bus?).
We already know about the girlfriend beater...did he get an IDA?
Who else have they been covering for, and how many other victims have not stepped forward due to intimidation?

I know the thought of pulling federal funding seems like a longshot, but it is possible. And the NCAA whacked Penn State pretty good...why not FSU?

My gut feeling is that this isn't over by a longshot...

ReelGatorDoc

Sep 9, 2014
That is pretty lame for Winston to just read a "lawyer" prepared statement addressing all of the legal points with the right "lawyer speak", and
sign off on it as if he wrote it. Just making a further mockery of the judicial system involved in this situation. There is no depth to how low these
guys will go to act as if nothing is out of line. I'm rooting for her attorney and the Title IX group to get a straight answer. I guarantee, FSu doesn't
want to know the answer to these questions.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's hard to win a hearing when you don't bother to present evidence in the hearing.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n134873 said:
It's hard to win a hearing when you don't bother to present evidence in the hearing.

He read a prepared statement and has Jimbo to vouch for him. What more evidence does he need?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TallyGator;n134774 said:
While it is entirely possible, if not probable, that Winston walks from the Code of Conduct result, his case has brought to light a systemic lack of institutional control in regards to how certain students (athletes) are treated in relation to the student population as a whole. There is already a ton of evidence that Title IX procedures were not followed, that school policies were not followed, and that the TPD and FSU Police have been complicit in many cases.

So, while we may lament that Winston does not get suspended in time for the upcoming game(s), I believe that there is too much public information available for the Title IX investigators and the NCAA to ignore. Of course, I could be totally wrong. But...

The campus crisis center said publicly that they cannot help a victim unless they are notified of incidents (the director did not have to make a public statement).
Tim Jansen essentially admits that Winston was treated differently than others accused of similar actions (throwing him under the bus?).
We already know about the girlfriend beater...did he get an IDA?
Who else have they been covering for, and how many other victims have not stepped forward due to intimidation?

I know the thought of pulling federal funding seems like a longshot, but it is possible. And the NCAA whacked Penn State pretty good...why not FSU?

My gut feeling is that this isn't over by a longshot...

Don't forget the starting corner who was in a hit and run accident earlier in the year with a suspended lincense who only got a ticket.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
When the title IX investigation is all said and done, I'm not sure there will be an FSU anymore.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n134916 said:
Don't forget the starting corner who was in a hit and run accident earlier in the year with a suspended lincense who only got a ticket.

The guy whos car he demolished was interviewed and said it was very apparent that he ran b/c both he and his buddy in the car (the other starting fsu CB) were both drunk and reaked of alcohol. Might as well mention that part as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator