WVU spring game: Will Grier has the arm, experience to move WVU

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I know you aren't, but we have to have more proof than what we have taken in the past. Meyer had success at multiple programs as an HC, Spurrier did. Muschamp, Zook, and McElwain did not. Florida is a top 5 job, this isn't a "this is florida damn" it's placement with recruiting and many other factors (including cash on hand). it's a very visible job as well, we need someone that can handle what all it takes.

The only upside that I saw w/ McElwain was that he actually had previous head coaching experience (unlike Zook & Muschamp). I also liked that he coached in the SEC for 4 years.

If we go looking for a coach in the next 2 years, we're going to need to bring a fat checkbook. I'd keep an eye on a guy like Fleck and Rhule. If they have success at two programs it could be time to offer them up (neither of those programs are anywhere near a UF type).

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Well, the bottom line is we either try to get a proven P5 coach (which is next to impossible nowadays w/ the way contracts are written) or we take a risk. We took a risk twice (McElwain and Muschamp). It's an imperfect world, but some of these younger coaches are future stars. And when I say "younger" I'm not talking about a 53 year old...

I think McElwain was a risk, but he had improved the team at CSU while he was there, developed a QB that was being looked at by the NFL, had SEC experience as an OC where he won a title... so I see the reason he was hired. Every coach is a risk.

I don't think Strong coming off of a failed attempt at Texas was a good hire. I hear the "he was setup to fail" argument, but he lost to Kansas when his job was on the line! KANSAS!!! Trust me when I say to people here in Austin that is worse than us losing to Vandy.

We could not have beat out Texas for Herman. Herman was a grad assistant at Texas and that was the job he wanted.

Fleck... same as what Douglas said.. he hasn't been proven enough at Western Michigan. McElwain's resume at the time was better than Fleck's now.

Taggart and Rhule could have be possibilities, but neither one has done more than McElwain had done at the point he was hired...IMO.

McElwain isn't going to get fired after winning the East in each of his first two years no matter how bad his offense looks. He isn't going to get fired year 3 either unless he has a meltdown type year and I don't see that happening.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I think McElwain was a risk, but he had improved the team at CSU while he was there, developed a QB that was being looked at by the NFL, had SEC experience as an OC where he won a title... so I see the reason he was hired. Every coach is a risk.

I don't think Strong coming off of a failed attempt at Texas was a good hire. I hear the "he was setup to fail" argument, but he lost to Kansas when his job was on the line! KANSAS!!! Trust me when I say to people here in Austin that is worse than us losing to Vandy.

We could not have beat out Texas for Herman. Herman was a grad assistant at Texas and that was the job he wanted.

Fleck... same as what Douglas said.. he hasn't been proven enough at Western Michigan. McElwain's resume at the time was better than Fleck's now.

Taggart and Rhule could have be possibilities, but neither one has done more than McElwain had done at the point he was hired...IMO.

McElwain isn't going to get fired after winning the East in each of his first two years no matter how bad his offense looks. He isn't going to get fired year 3 either unless he has a meltdown type year and I don't see that happening.

Let's just say he goes 8-4 this year which is a distinct possibility...is he still your guy? If so, why?

Personally, I don;t think he'll ever get over the hump here. He just doesn't have the skill set needed.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
0).... and the "other-sharper" HC we hired would win how many more than 10 games/season?
so that by 3 whole seasons we'd be a threat to all teams in the West including Sabin. Do you really believe that one of those other obtainable HCs would have taken Chump's 4-8 team to greater heights?

I think the offense has been dismal and Nussmeier should be fired first year, because of what he did here, more as a continuation of what he did at prior "regular" schools. This "hang-onto" faith with Nuss & Treon & LDR & whoever are the inadequate ones hidden (recruiter-fails) is Mac's downfall liability. Thus it is these Gators players' hardship (real sad).

Risky, this idea that his 3rd year after 2 essentially 10-win seasons is his "last chance" to show he's worthy of not getting "fired". Posters opinions, even boosters' opinions are not the main thoughts. The main judgment on that are all the CFB HCs in the nation = do I want to pull up my family & homestead and go to an HC chopping block like Florida? It seems to me we're only gonna get a risky HC that way. IMHO??

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Let's just say he goes 8-4 this year which is a distinct possibility...is he still your guy? If so, why?

Personally, I don;t think he'll ever get over the hump here. He just doesn't have the skill set needed.

Is he still my guy? Probably... as long as he is the HC at the University of Florida he will be "my guy" and I will be hoping he succeeds.

Does that mean that I won't think he should be fired... no. It means that I will hope for his success until he is no longer here.

If he goes 8-4 then it depends on who the 8 and 4 are. It depends how the team looks... if they improve... if Franks improves over the course of the year. It would be ignorant of me to just name a record without making judgement as to how that record came to be and how the team actually looked.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The only upside that I saw w/ McElwain was that he actually had previous head coaching experience (unlike Zook & Muschamp). I also liked that he coached in the SEC for 4 years.

If we go looking for a coach in the next 2 years, we're going to need to bring a fat checkbook. I'd keep an eye on a guy like Fleck and Rhule. If they have success at two programs it could be time to offer them up (neither of those programs are anywhere near a UF type).
agreed

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Is he still my guy? Probably... as long as he is the HC at the University of Florida he will be "my guy" and I will be hoping he succeeds.

Does that mean that I won't think he should be fired... no. It means that I will hope for his success until he is no longer here.

If he goes 8-4 then it depends on who the 8 and 4 are. It depends how the team looks... if they improve... if Franks improves over the course of the year. It would be ignorant of me to just name a record without making judgement as to how that record came to be and how the team actually looked.

Ok I will clarify. He loses to Mich, LSU, UGA and FSU. We all cheer on Saturdays for our team. I am asking of you think he should be let go at that point. 2-12 vs ranked teams and a 27-12 record. Based on that info what would you do?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ok I will clarify. He loses to Mich, LSU, UGA and FSU. We all cheer on Saturdays for our team. I am asking of you think he should be let go at that point. 2-12 vs ranked teams and a 27-12 record. Based on that info what would you do?

Not to split hairs, by he would be 3-11 at that point..

2015: 1-4 (including bowl loss) (#3 Ole Miss win)(@6 LSU, #14 FSU, #2 Alabama, #17 Michigan loses)
2016: 2-3 (including bowl win) (#21 Iowa, #16 LSU wins)(#14 Tennessee, #15 FSU, #1 Alabama loses)

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Not to split hairs, by he would be 3-11 at that point..

2015: 1-4 (including bowl loss) (#3 Ole Miss win)(@6 LSU, #14 FSU, #2 Alabama, #17 Michigan loses)
2016: 2-3 (including bowl win) (#21 Iowa, #16 LSU wins)(#14 Tennessee, #15 FSU, #1 Alabama loses)

He had a loss at CSU as well vs a ranked team. He was 0-1 there. WHich means he played a bunch of nobodies. He can;t beat ranked teams.

Split your hairs...the guy is mediocre no matter how you slice it or dice it.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

I would keep him. He has been here 3 years and while I wouldn't be thrilled with the results, I would keep him on for a fourth season.

This might change if there was some type of can't miss candidate avail and I would only make the move to fire McElwain after we had reached an agreement with that candidate.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He had a loss at CSU as well vs a ranked team. He was 0-1 there. WHich means he played a bunch of nobodies. He can;t beat ranked teams.

Split your hairs...the guy is mediocre no matter how you slice it or dice it.

As I said above he is a middle tier coach, not ready for the big time. Just if we are going to bust a guy, make sure we are busting him accurately.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I would keep him. He has been here 3 years and while I wouldn't be thrilled with the results, I would keep him on for a fourth season.

This might change if there was some type of can't miss candidate avail and I would only make the move to fire McElwain after we had reached an agreement with that candidate.

ATX, you would keep him....and so would the AD. No matter how any of us want to look at it. The only way he gets fired after year 3 is if we have a losing record. He can go 7-6 and they'll keep him. No matter how the offense looks (good or bad), he's not getting fired unless he has a losing record or bangs a co-ed on the 50-yard line on ESPN.

Now if he goes 8-4, we have a sh*t offense (again), then has a mediocre year 4? I think he's gone.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
ATX, you would keep him....and so would the AD. No matter how any of us want to look at it. The only way he gets fired after year 3 is if we have a losing record. He can go 7-6 and they'll keep him. No matter how the offense looks (good or bad), he's not getting fired unless he has a losing record or bangs a co-ed on the 50-yard line on ESPN.

Now if he goes 8-4, we have a sh*t offense (again), then has a mediocre year 4? I think he's gone.
I agree. He's here for the next 18 months whether we like it or not. In my case...NOT!

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

I agree.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
What a Bowl Game Extravaganza for spundips to build a story around if Will Grier is tearing it up for WVU and we face them in our bowl game. That would be too tempting for CFB dramatists to fail to manipulate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator