2 more days of early signing - any possibility of more?

ItsDookie87

...it's best to let him finish
BANNED
Sep 8, 2014
I'm guessing he'll sign in Feb, we were #1 in his top four last week but he's visiting Louisville (#4 on his list) on 01/12 and Ole Miss (#2 on his list) on 01/26.

"Jefferson took an official visit to Arkansas on Nov. 17, and to Oregon State on Dec. 7. He has officials scheduled for Louisville (Jan. 12) and Ole Miss (Jan. 26). He is tentatively set to officially visit Florida on the weekend of Jan. 19.

Jefferson signed with USC out of Desert Oasis (Las Vegas) High School but left the Trojans' program last November, citing personal reasons."

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I'm guessing he'll sign in Feb, we were #1 in his top four last week but he's visiting Louisville (#4 on his list) on 01/12 and Ole Miss (#2 on his list) on 01/26.

"Jefferson took an official visit to Arkansas on Nov. 17, and to Oregon State on Dec. 7. He has officials scheduled for Louisville (Jan. 12) and Ole Miss (Jan. 26). He is tentatively set to officially visit Florida on the weekend of Jan. 19.

Jefferson signed with USC out of Desert Oasis (Las Vegas) High School but left the Trojans' program last November, citing personal reasons."
This link seems to say the JUCO transfer date ends Jan 15 which obviously can't be right if he isn't even taking his visit until Jan 19.

http://www.nationalletter.org/signingDates/future.html

I see that is actually the midyear transfer which I'm not sure what that is, transferring midyear I guess:scratchhead:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If he's not visiting until January 19th then he's not going to be in school in January for the spring semester. More importantly he won't be practicing during spring.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I don't believe that at all. we have 9 early entrants, and I think 7 of them can count back. we can take up to 32. the numbers are tough to figure out because there is two different rules and the university doesnt broadcast how they label kids.

the number will probably be closer to 27 or 28. I think there's a limit to the number of count back (ten comes to mind) yoy can have so it's not like we can just save all the scholarships for next year... but that is just a wisp of a memory and i cant find it in a quick google search.
Who knows, who cares? You saw the numbers on how few good players are still out there. If we get seven more, I will be thankful. You guys called me a pumper. You are living in lala land.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Ancient, you miss Ole Butterteeth dont you?

Its ok. You can admit it.

Last edited:

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
I'm not so much concerned about getting a few more OL's this class (we have a couple in Barnes & NPF that are a possibility, and Montilus - along w/ a few others we're after). The problem is the D-line. We're starting from scratch, and a lot of the good ones just signed yesterday. I'm sure there's some Plan B's out there we can land, but it sure would be nice to pull in a 4-star to go along w/ the Plan B (or two). Also, the JUCO's just signed yesterday as well....and we weren't in on any DL or LB.

Hopefully we get the two credit card LB's back and can land at least one more in this class. But right now, DL recruiting needs the biggest kick-start.

I hear ya, BMF. I am in total agreement. Though, I think you can never have too many elite O linemen, we do need to make it a priority to sign as many studs as possible on the DL and at LB. This past season's team was the weakest front 7 group I have seen in Gainesville since before Pell came to town. It was downright embarrassing to watch us get manhandled and whiff on tackles every week. A small part of that was coaching, but it is obvious that we have a severe lack of talent on defense. You cannot expect to survive in the SEC without a stout front 7, and talented depth to rotate into the game.

WinterGarden Gator

Jan 15, 2015
We're the favorite for JUCO DT Noah Jefferson who is 6'6 330, would give us the size and experience.
giphy.gif

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Trying to keep a list of targets as we move forward. Maybe GatorJ can add a list of targets in his super duper Commits/Signed thread.
Pretty sure Chase is gone for good. For all the talk about Corral holding the class together Chase was the only recruit he brought to the table. I also think Copeland is gone fer good. He seems to be butt hurt.
So that leaves:
The two commits yet to sign
4* OL Richard Gouraige
3* WR Corey Gammage
That puts us at 15 and leaves us 10 spots plus or minus.

So names being thrown around:
4* WR Anthony Schwartz (Don't understand why this isn't a done deal)
4* OT William Barnes (Apopka)
3* OG Ed Montilius (Apopka)
5* OT Nick Petit Frere (Tampa)
4* WR Tommy Bush
4* WR Trevon Grimes (transfer)
JUCO DT Noah Jefferson 6'6 330

That would be a nice haul. What's missing is 3-4 more quality front 7 types.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Trying to keep a list of targets as we move forward. Maybe GatorJ can add a list of targets in his super duper Commits/Signed thread.
Pretty sure Chase is gone for good. For all the talk about Corral holding the class together Chase was the only recruit he brought to the table. I also think Copeland is gone fer good. He seems to be butt hurt.
So that leaves:
The two commits yet to sign
4* OL Richard Gouraige
3* WR Corey Gammage
That puts us at 15 and leaves us 10 spots plus or minus.

So names being thrown around:
4* WR Anthony Schwartz (Don't understand why this isn't a done deal)
4* OT William Barnes (Apopka)
3* OG Ed Montilius (Apopka)
5* OT Nick Petit Frere (Tampa)
4* WR Tommy Bush
4* WR Trevon Grimes (transfer)
JUCO DT Noah Jefferson 6'6 330

That would be a nice haul. What's missing is 3-4 more quality front 7 types.

Nice work Threat. We need to see some DL's and LB's on that list soon!

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Nice work Threat. We need to see some DL's and LB's on that list soon!

Well first you have to look at the already signed:

QB: Jones
RB: Clement, Pierce
WR:
TE: Lang, Pitts
OL: Banks, Bleich
DL:
LB: Reese
DB: Burney, Dean, Huggins Russell
K: McPherson

UF is probably finished at RB, TE and K. UF can live with one QB. I understand that one of the DBs is said to be coming to play LB. I will be surprised if both TEs are TEs. UF is taking a transfer WR but still WR and DL are the places that need to be filled out.

Of course UF needs another LB or so in this class. Probably UF would like a CB prospect. UF maybe will take another OL beyond the two signed and the one committed.

Finally, when I see 3 star guys not signing early at UF, UAL, UGa etc, I suspect many of them are waiting to see if there is space available for them in the class.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Well first you have to look at the already signed:

QB: Jones
RB: Clement, Pierce
WR:
TE: Lang, Pitts
OL: Banks, Bleich
DL:
LB: Reese
DB: Burney, Dean, Huggins Russell
K: McPherson

UF is probably finished at RB, TE and K. UF can live with one QB. I understand that one of the DBs is said to be coming to play LB. I will be surprised if both TEs are TEs. UF is taking a transfer WR but still WR and DL are the places that need to be filled out.

Of course UF needs another LB or so in this class. Probably UF would like a CB prospect. UF maybe will take another OL beyond the two signed and the one committed.

Finally, when I see 3 star guys not signing early at UF, UAL, UGa etc, I suspect many of them are waiting to see if there is space available for them in the class.

Good stuff Insti.

You may be right about the TEs, but I think they both stay (we lose Goolsby this year, Stephens & Lewis next year - leaving us only Gamble and the two signees in 2019).

Also, w/ the new defense, Burney could move to LB but he needs to add significant weight. I thought he'd move w/ the old staff's defense but now I'm not so sure. He is being listed as an "athlete", so that could mean a move is coming. He's 215-ish right now.

Regardless, we need DL's and LB's.

If this class doesn't end up w/ 4 OL's that will be a disappointment. We just signed two kids that no one had ever heard of, so hopefully we sign at least 2 that we (UF, mostly Butters staff) have been in on (showing that these kids are buying into Mullen).

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Here's a breakdown from seccountry on Mullen's comments about needs:

“Certainly corner is going to be a big need for us. Defensive line, outside linebacker, offensive line and wide receiver are going to be really the emphasis moving forward,” he said. “Those are the main needs. We’ll still look at, we’ll be recruiting everybody. But I think you check the box at quarterback.”

Indeed, it’s doubtful the Gators add another quarterback in this class after locking in 4-star dual-threat prospect Emory Jones.

But let’s take a closer look at the spots Mullen mentioned.

The Gators brought in a haul of cornerbacks in their last recruiting cycle and found key foundation pieces in freshman starters Marco Wilson and C.J. Henderson. They also have fellow rising sophomores Brian Edwards, who saw limited playing time on defense in his first season, Brad Stewart, who they worked at safety, and redshirt sophomore C.J. McWilliams. It also might make sense to move junior Chauncey Gardner Jr. to corner, which many believe is a more natural position for him than safety.

Still, with Duke Dawson moving on to the NFL, there is not much proven depth at this spot. Early signees Trey Dean and John Huggins will get a look at both safety and cornerback. Of course, Florida would love to add another top prospect at that spot (like Patrick Surtain Jr. or Brendan Radley-Hiles). But one way or another, look for them to find another corner in this class.

Moving elsewhere through the defense, outside linebacker is just as big a need. There were doubts last season that Florida had the linebackers to operate a 4-3, and the move to a 3-4 will only further magnify their needs here. Versatile 4-star recruits David Reese and Amari Burney should get a look at outside linebacker, but that position would seem to be a 1A/1B need along with corner.

Meanwhile, Florida has no defensive linemen committed. As the Gators ease into that switch to a 3-4, they’ll need to recruit personnel suited for that scheme. Last year the Gators added massive defensive tackles Elijah Conliffe and T.J. Slaton and (slightly less massive) Kyree Campbell, who I think all have promising futures in the new defensive system. Zachary Carter, who came to Florida as a defensive end, is another intriguing young player waiting for his chance to prove himself. But regardless, it would be a surprise if the Gators didn’t add to their options here.

Getting to Terry’s question about the offensive line, I definitely have concerns about that group, especially if left tackle Martez Ivey opts to declare for the NFL draft and left guard Brett Heggie (knee injury) isn’t ready for the start of the season. Florida is already thin up front. The Gators did add some help here in 3-star signee Chris Bleich (6-foot-6, 313 pounds) and 3-star JUCO lineman Noah Banks (6-7, 305). Until spring practice, there’s no way to know how much those two will help next season, but looking even beyond 2018 the Gators need to restock at this position in a big way. Keeping 4-star commit Richard Gouraige should be a top priority.

At wide receiver, I see more hope than desperate need. The hope is that Florida can entice Jacob Copeland or Ja’Marr Chase — both are former commits and unsigned 4-star wideouts — back into the fold now that Jones is on board at quarterback.

Overall, with the 13 additions Wednesday and Ole Miss wide receiver transfer Van Jefferson, Florida has 14 players signed. They can sign up to 23 players in this class if more spots open up with players leaving for the NFL or transferring. So there should be enough room to address each of those aforementioned needs.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That is some numath there. Perhaps they are hallucinating that every player comes back, including the suspended players. It still makes no sense because were at around 75 at full strength at the start of the year and then lost the nine.

Expect about 10 transfers on top of that.

Insanity, whoever wrote that.

If we sign 23, we will be at 60 next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.