2014 World Cup Thread

BoomTown

Founding Member
Mc's Red Headed Stepchild
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Don't know if any of you guys are in Charlotte, but there's going to be a gathering at Killington's Pub in Huntersville to watch the US play Monday night. PM me for 20% off.

Jabberdave

Founding Member
Your mom is very pretty.
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
BoomTown said:
Don't know if any of you guys are in Charlotte, but there's going to be a gathering at Killington's Pub in Huntersville to watch the US play Monday night. PM me for 20% off.
American Outlaws?

BostonGator84

Founding Member
Infrequent Frequenter
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
NVGator said:
I Believe That We Will Win! I Believe That We Will Win! I Believe That We Will Win! I Believe That We Will Win! I Believe That We Will Win!
Closet Utah State fan? Or did someone else use this cheer before them??

BostonGator84

Founding Member
Infrequent Frequenter
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Bernardo de la Paz said:
They need to start allowing video replay for goals.
The first replay system that makes sense and most importantly DOESN'T SLOW THE GAME DOWN. Oh and the first actual interesting use of a smartwatch.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The moment of truth is almost among us for the USMNT. But, first we get to see the other Group of Death heavyweights duke it out in just a few hours. I'm predicting a 3 - 1 victory by Germany over Portugal and a nail-biting 2 - 1 victory by the U.S. over Ghana. This should be a very exciting day of fútbol!

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I was impressed with the Ivory Coast in the 2nd half. No idea why they didn't start Drogba, but after he entered the game around the 60 minute mark ivory coast
scored a couple goals in a matter of minutes.

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
heversle;n3161 said:
The moment of truth is almost among us for the USMNT. But, first we get to see the other Group of Death heavyweights duke it out in just a few hours. I'm predicting a 3 - 1 victory by Germany over Portugal and a nail-biting 2 - 1 victory by the U.S. over Ghana. This should be a very exciting day of fútbol!

I think we win 3-1.

Thatguy^

Founding Member
Clearance rack
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think if we can get some pressure while keeping Ghana out of the middle, we should be okay. Chandler should NEVER see game action....way too slow. Beasley is a lot quicker and his make up speed is much crisper. Chandler matches up with a team like Germany better because they won't challenge his speed, just his brains. Even that is scary though. Need Altidore to use his strength as well as his quick shot skills. That is what he has over any of our other forwards. I think the U.S. wins 2-1. We believe that we will win!

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbait25;n3164 said:
I was impressed with the Ivory Coast in the 2nd half. No idea why they didn't start Drogba, but after he entered the game around the 60 minute mark ivory coast scored a couple goals in a matter of minutes.
Ivory Coast is probably the most talented African nation in the tournament (we'll see how Ghana plays today). I'm not sure why Drogba didn't start either. Opposing teams must account for him when he's on the field whether he's creating scoring opportunities or not, which is an advantage in itself. The team obviously plays a lot better when he's in the mix. That being said, it's Yaya Toure's team now. At 6'3, he's an imposing figure in the midfield (relatively speaking) and many consider him to be one of the best midfielders in the world. If he has a great tournament, the Ivory Coast could be a dark horse team to win it all.

Jabberdave

Founding Member
Your mom is very pretty.
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Drogba didn't start because he's 36 years old. The plan was to play him as a "super sub" and that's just what they did. Obviously, it worked.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thatguy^;n3174 said:
I think if we can get some pressure while keeping Ghana out of the middle, we should be okay. Chandler should NEVER see game action....way too slow. Beasley is a lot quicker and his make up speed is much crisper. Chandler matches up with a team like Germany better because they won't challenge his speed, just his brains. Even that is scary though. Need Altidore to use his strength as well as his quick shot skills. That is what he has over any of our other forwards. I think the U.S. wins 2-1. We believe that we will win!
+1. I hope our back 4 is up to snuff today. Ghana will test our defenders all game long. Our midfielders must be aggressive and support the attack, but we need them to get back and help thwart any kind of counterattack. I think Michael Bradley is the most important player for the USMNT today. If he has a good game and helps create scoring opportunities for Altidore and Dempsey, we've got an excellent shot.

Thatguy^

Founding Member
Clearance rack
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
heversle said:
Thatguy^;n3174 said:
+1. I hope our back 4 is up to snuff today. Ghana will test our defenders all game long. Our midfielders must be aggressive and support the attack, but we need them to get back and help thwart any kind of counterattack. I think Michael Bradley is the most important player for the USMNT today. If he has a good game and helps create scoring opportunities for Altidore and Dempsey, we've got an excellent shot.
Our mid-fielders cannot turn the ball over. I think and I hope we see the same line up as the Nigeria game. Beckerman is a really reliable change up defender. I was at the game and he really played very well. Bradley has played great but has had a problem with turn overs on short passes toward goal which CANNOT happen today and I think Kyle helps with that. Other than that, I think the scoring attack is okay and I think Dempsey has done everything but score. I hope he gets at least one in the back of the net.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Portugal's in trouble against the Krauts. Down 2-0 and had a guy red carded.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Bodes very well for the U.S. if it comes down to goal differential. You gotta think the Germans will get at least another one in the 2nd half. Still need to beat Ghana in the worst possible way tonight.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Portugal looks horrible. I was way off with my prediction. Germany may win 5 - 0.

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
[video]https://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/4/video/1885830/pepe-loses-his-headsees-red[/video]

Seems kind of chippy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.