conv_2515.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 53

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
oxrageous;n182417 said:
Who will start?

Youngblood, Carter, Floyd.....oh wait that another thread :lol:. Brantley, Bullard, Ivie and Cox-McCallister....plenty of depth though and rotation will be deep and good.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with concrete head. I think this will be the best d-line in the country. I'm guessing the starting 4 would be Cox Bullard Brantley McAllister. With plenty of depth behind them. I'll be curious to see if Clark and Holley will be able to make the rotation now that the redshirts are coming off. There's quite a few bodies there

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It could definitely be special. We have both the talent and depth to dominate. I think Rumph will do a great job, probably even improve all their techniques and abilities. A lot will be on Collins to game plan and have the pieces in place to shut down the other teams offense.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
t-gator;n182436 said:
I'm guessing the starting 4 would be Cox Bullard Brantley McAllister. With plenty of depth behind them. I'll be curious to see if Clark and Holley will be able to make the rotation now that the redshirts are coming off. There's quite a few bodies there
Interesting that you mentioned Cox and McCallister starting at the same time. It might be a way to add a body to the LB situation since both have played the "Buck" position. It most likely though will be one or the other on the field at one time though. Clark and Holley should be fine if they're bought along slowly. Don't sleep on Ivie though, he got a lot of reps at the end of last season and was playing pretty well. If Brantley and Bullard stay healthy look out they could both end up being all conference. I like this position group better than any other on the team.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
CaribGator;n182470 said:
A lot will be on Collins to game plan and have the pieces in place to shut down the other teams offense.
Good point. I hope he's good at adjusting to what our personnel does best and not locked into making them play a system because it's "his". I've seen some mighty talented teams look mediocre because of a stubborn coach......

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n182518 said:
Interesting that you mentioned Cox and McCallister starting at the same time. It might be a way to add a body to the LB situation since both have played the "Buck" position. It most likely though will be one or the other on the field at one time though. Clark and Holley should be fine if they're bought along slowly. Don't sleep on Ivie though, he got a lot of reps at the end of last season and was playing pretty well. If Brantley and Bullard stay healthy look out they could both end up being all conference. I like this position group better than any other on the team.
I definitely wouldn't forget ivie, I expect him to be a huge part of the rotation.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n182524 said:
Good point. I hope he's good at adjusting to what our personnel does best and not locked into making them play a system because it's "his". I've seen some mighty talented teams look mediocre because of a stubborn coach......
Yea, look at Georgia under Grantham. He had a boat load of talent and always a mediocre d.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Saying a pair of DEs, including one that they had really beef up to play some tackle, are too big, too slow to play LB is negative? No, it's just reality. Almost half the guys on defense are too big, too slow to play DB.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I imagine it would look something like this.

Mccalister Brantley Bullard Cox
Cece/ Sherit Ivey Bostwick/Clark/Holley T Bryan

How the young tackles come along will probably depend on how much Bullard plays inside.
If Clark and Holley can provide good play off the bench you may see Bullard play a good bit at end.
Our numbers at SDE aren't great due to the departure of Gerald Willis.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n182669 said:
Saying a pair of DEs, including one that they had really beef up to play some tackle, are too big, too slow to play LB is negative? No, it's just reality. Almost half the guys on defense are too big, too slow to play DB.

You and I agree. I'd say that more than half of the guys on defense are too big, too slow to play DB. :proud:

Other than that, the thread as about DL and while LB was mentioned by 'Crete, he was responding to a post about DL and his particular post while mentioning LB, seemed to pertain mostly to the DL position group. Thus it was not abundantly clear that you were responding to the LB proposition. It appeared you were making a blanket statement about the DL as a whole. That being said, no one will be surprised when you reply, that they too are too big, too slow also.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This D-Line has a good chance to be better than our 2012 D-Line.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Law98gator;n182669 said:

I disagree. Both Cox, who was recruited as a LB, and McCallister played the Buck last season which on some plays has LBer responsibilities. The reason they played was because they were better at the LB part of the position than Fowler was, in fact I believe both of them also recorded ints......I'm too lazy to look it up but I know McCallister had at least one. If you remember last years spring game McCallister also had no problem chasing down Driskel on a full sprint....say what you will about JD he had 4.5 speed so I doubt McCallister is too slow. Just sayin'

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
There looks to be some nice potential there to be one of the best lines in the country.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n182742 said:
I disagree. Both Cox, who was recruited as a LB, and McCallister played the Buck last season which on some plays has LBer responsibilities. The reason they played was because they were better at the LB part of the position than Fowler was, in fact I believe both of them also recorded ints......I'm too lazy to look it up but I know McCallister had at least one. If you remember last years spring game McCallister also had no problem chasing down Driskel on a full sprint....say what you will about JD he had 4.5 speed so I doubt McCallister is too slow. Just sayin'

Mccalister is/was a buck /weakside end. Cox is a strong-side end. He started a few games there when Bullard slid down at tackle, and both will likely start this season.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry, I dont give Crete too much time. Our DL will be excellent. Wont have that All American Fowler type but you're better off having a six to eight man rotation full of good DL.

I expect Brantley and Bullard to lead the way but all are capable of being the hero from game to game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.