Recruiting 2019 NSD: 4* DE Khris Bogle and 4* CB Elam signs

CHAMPIONSHIP: If you were forced to have dinner with one of these members, who would you choose?

• Swamp Donkey

• Swamp Queen

• Durty South Swamp

• dubster1

• BNAG8R

Results are only viewable after voting.

leogator

May 5, 2018
Maybe we won't since we don't have anybody like Chauncey back there. Unless we move Dean there.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Here's my educated guess on who the next 9 commits will be, assuming that we only sign 25 and there is no attrition among the committed: Chris Steele, Keon Zipperer, Quashon Fuller, Derrick Hunter, Lloyd Summerall, Deyavie Hammond, Michael Tarquin, one of Brandon Dorius or Datona Jackson, Kaiir Elam. Mullen really likes Dorius.

+1s: Trey Sanders, Elijah Higgins, Nathan Pickering, Mark Richards, Bogle.

Recruiting is a very dynamic, chaotic game, not for the faint of heart. A lot of things can change based on juniors leaving for the NFL and transfers out, particularly for the +1s.

That's a favorable guess at the next 9. I think there's another OL in there.

Also, it's Brandon Dorlus (not Dorius). I think he's a solid Plan B, but if we get both Fuller and Hunter we may not take another SDE type. I think we only get one of Fuller/Hunter (would like both though). The DL class is going to be interesting. Wish we'd add a blue-chip Safety to the class.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
What's the deal with Trent Whittemore? He is a 3 star recruit, bad offers, a white safety (rarely works out), and was a commit from the last staff. Is he going to be pushed out of the class? This is not a UF caliber recruit and he has a near 0 percent chance of panning out. It is a total waste of a scholly.
Ja'markis Weston is also a 3 star recruit with a poor offer list and a commit from the last staff. He at least has size and a better offer list than Trent's at least.
The rest of the 3 stars are credible , have decent/good offer lists, and were takes by this staff, not shark humpers staff..

Does this staff push out recruits?

Whittemore has been discussed several times throughout this thread, but I tend to agree he's a reach for a UF to take. But he's an athlete, and at 6'3/6'4 he very likely ends up at LB or TE. He's already 190/200-ish and will likely play at 225+ within a few years. He's a UF legacy from Gainesville and his dad is his head coach. I'm not sure if he ever contributes for us, but I'd guess he'll give max effort and very likely be a special teams contributor.

Here's an assessment from another board I found interesting:

Things I like about him:

He's a solid 6'3 - 6'4 guy with a good frame to build off of in a college weight-room setting. Currently looks about the 180-190 lb range (to my eye). No doubt that he's long and actually may be a little more athletic than what meets the eye. My favorite thing about him honestly is watching him on the offensive side of the ball at Receiver. He's not very quick off the ball and doesn't run the best of routes, but he has -Very- good hands. He also has a decent knack for getting open. Although, I'm not real familiar with his area of football and I'm not sure about the competition he plays against so take that for what it's worth. From what I've seen so far, if it touches his hands, he comes down with it so I've got to credit him with that. On the defensive side of the ball at Safety, he has a nose for the football. He's very good at taking angles and making plays on deep shots to receivers down field, often positioning himself to swat it away or pick it at the last moment. He's also better than I expected in run support. Going back to the weight-room, I do feel Savage could turn this kid into a decent player for UF down the stretch of his career, no matter what side of the ball UF assigns him too. I also can see him doing his best to watch the QB's eyes and reacting pretty decent in his movements to where he feels the ball is going. I think he's an above average open field tackler. Uses his length to his advantage in that aspect. He's one of those kids that have a little bit of what I call "awkward athleticism". But it suits him.

Things I'm unsure about:

He seems to struggle a bit in 1 on 1 coverage against shifty receivers while playing Safety, especially if he's lined up 1 on 1 on the strong side of the field where a receiver has the chance to make more shifty moves off of the line of scrimmage to create space. He seems to struggle with flipping his hips and running with receivers. Although he does do a quite decent job of making up ground when he's out of position. Multiple sites list his 40 around the 4.5/4.6 range but I'm not sure I see that on film. Take that for what it's worth. However, he can cover some ground when he hits top end speed, especially running down or across the field.

All in all, I think his 24/7 ranking is pretty spot on in my opinion. I definitely think he's going to need tons of coaching on the smaller things such as footwork and basically over-all quickness depending on where UF plans to use him. I do think he can contribute at UF a couple years down the road in some aspect.

leogator

May 5, 2018

Also, it's Brandon Dorlus (not Dorius). I think he's a solid Plan B, but if we get both Fuller and Hunter we may not take another SDE type. I think we only get one of Fuller/Hunter (would like both though). The DL class is going to be interesting. Wish we'd add a blue-chip Safety to the class.
Derrick Hunter will be a DT.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Why would we only take one out of fuller and hunter?

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Do you want 7 OL, or are you thinking we drop someone?

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Maybe we won't since we don't have anybody like Chauncey back there. Unless we move Dean there.

I’d be ok with that. Trey has done very well for a frosh and that suggests he could pick up the responsibilities of Chauncey’s position. Wilson, CJ, and Dean would be quite the starting trio. Now let’s find some safeties.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Do you want 7 OL, or are you thinking we drop someone?

I don't think we take 7, but we probably should w/ the OL situation. Between Taquin, Bell, and Hammond we probably only take 2. I think we could drop White, but don't see it happening.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Handy isn't a Plan B anyway you look at it. The kid is a top 100 recruit. He's a Plan A+. Dorlus, Plan B, C or Z is a reach anyway you look at it. But I'm all in favor or filling the spot vs. missing/not signing (like Butters would do). I'm also in favor of Dorlus over a JUCO, unless we unexpectedly lose more than expected to the draft. I think Dorlus could be a contributor, down the line, like an Ancrum. Not a waste of a scholarship, just don't expect him to be All-SEC or even a starter.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'll throw this out there as well. If we have some projects that we think can contribute outside of ST, within a year or two after RS, I have no problem taking them after 25. I'm not talking about reaches, I'm talking about a Glades kid that needs some weight. Or someone who is changing positions, and needs a year to adapt. Or a kid that needs to finish dropping weight. So guys with high ceilings, but may need some time to develop. I'll emphasize, not in the first 25.

leogator

May 5, 2018
This is a new name on the board, a top 100 WDE from Brooklyn, NY (favored to pick Penn State), visiting UF on Dec. 7th:

Adisa Isaac, Canarsie, Weak-Side Defensive End

I was about to come back and post this. Either we're taking a lot of DEs or the situation with DEs is so fluid we have to keep recruiting.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I'll throw this out there as well. If we have some projects that we think can contribute outside of ST, within a year or two after RS, I have no problem taking them after 25. I'm not talking about reaches, I'm talking about a Glades kid that needs some weight. Or someone who is changing positions, and needs a year to adapt. Or a kid that needs to finish dropping weight. So guys with high ceilings, but may need some time to develop. I'll emphasize, not in the first 25.

Well, that's a 'perfect world' type of situation. I don't think UF 2018 is in that position. We can't even get a blue-chip Safety or a single 5-star recruit to seriously consider us right now. I just want to load up on as many blue-chip players as possible and hopefully the 2020 class will give us some of what you describe - and so far the 2020 class is looking really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator