2019 Quarterback Competition

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
The quarterback-centric reference is actually a nod to the read option and the additional responsibilities put on the quarterback as a result.

I have no delusions about the number of passes Mullen will call nor the number of pass plays needed for us to be successful. It's a run-first offense. I would, however, like to see us take better advantage of the passing opportunities that Mullen creates. I think this could become one helluva football team if it does.

Mullen will never be Spurrier. But we took multiple shots down field yesterday. Regardless of the QB our passing will be more dynamic next year.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen will never be Spurrier. But we took multiple shots down field yesterday. Regardless of the QB our passing will be more dynamic next year.
I honestly can't remember a game this year where we didn't leave points off the scoreboard due to inability to find open receivers, oftentimes wide-open receivers.

We might have gone to the SECCG if we'd converted some of those opps.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I would, however, like to see us take better advantage of the passing opportunities that Mullen creates. I think this could become one helluva football team if it does.
I agree. I loved the little "pocket screen" we used yesterday by moving Perine out of the backfield....it made for an easy, quick throw and was something we hadn't showed before when faced by an outstanding defensive front....The creativity in the running game also helped set up some of the 3rd down passes that Franks converted....His 3rd down conversion % this year is something I think most of us would be surprised at....he has thrown some darts.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I agree. I loved the little "pocket screen" we used yesterday by moving Perine out of the backfield....it made for an easy, quick throw and was something we hadn't showed before when faced by an outstanding defensive front....The creativity in the running game also helped set up some of the 3rd down passes that Franks converted....His 3rd down conversion % this year is something I think most of us would be surprised at....he has thrown some darts.
That was a beautifully crafted play with the WR setting the pick for Perine to dance into end zone. Franks can make those throws all day long.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I honestly can't remember a game this year where we didn't leave points off the scoreboard due to inability to find open receivers, oftentimes wide-open receivers.

We might have gone to the SECCG if we'd converted some of those opps.

Certainly. Our starting QB came from an itty bitty HS and had never been coached effectively in his life. The game was an absolute blur to him last year and he admitted himself his confidence could not have been lower.

Enter Dan Mullen. Once he determined FF was our best chance to win he began crafting a meticulous plan to slowly build his confidence. (1) by simplifying the passing game with quick one-look no-read passes and (2) ensuring FF he wouldn’t have to look over his shoulder after every mistake.

Mullen stayed the course and never panicked unlike much of this board. He expected to see exactly what he saw and slowly and steadily continued to develop his QB. You could just see the confidence building. Still not a top tier QB but a more confident one. By the SC game he was beaming with confidence and was telling Del Rio and his detractors to basically kiss his azz. Which is when the next visible leap in his competence took place. Final 4 games were big wins with 8 TD’s and 0 interceptions. We were beginning to see the makings of a real QB.

If Mullen is right in saying preseason that FF and EJ would not truly understand his offense and the QB role until the 2019 opener then we should all be very excited in the growth we will see over the upcoming offseason for both FF and EJ.

I think what most missed was this was all a very detailed plan that was executed to near perfection. I’d call it “The Making of a QB”.

But totally agree 78. With another more experienced/talented QB back there we may have gone to the championship. But we had a grossly inexperienced uncoached one and a true freshman. That’s what Mullen had to work with. He worked wonders....10 wins, NY6 bowl game blowout, and that QB throwing for 2500 yards and 24 tds while running for another 7. Most importantly he built a QB’s confidence to the point that his teammates hold him in high regard and had his back...particularly his receivers.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Certainly. Our starting QB came from an itty bitty HS and had never been coached effectively in his life. The game was an absolute blur to him last year and he admitted himself his confidence could not have been lower.

Enter Dan Mullen. Once he determined FF was our best chance to win he began crafting a meticulous plan to slowly build his confidence. (1) by simplifying the passing game with quick one-look no-read passes and (2) ensuring FF he wouldn’t have to look over his shoulder after every mistake.

Mullen stayed the course and never panicked unlike much of this board. He expected to see exactly what he saw and slowly and steadily continued to develop his QB. You could just see the confidence building. Still not a top tier QB but a more confident one. By the SC game he was beaming with confidence and was telling Del Rio and his detractors to basically kiss his azz. Which is when the next visible leap in his competence took place. Final 4 games were big wins with 8 TD’s and 0 interceptions. We were beginning to see the makings of a real QB.

If Mullen is right in saying preseason that FF and EJ would not truly understand his offense and the QB role until the 2019 opener then we should all be very excited in the growth we will see over the upcoming offseason for both FF and EJ.

I think what most missed was this was all a very detailed plan that was executed to near perfection. I’d call it “The Making of a QB”.

But totally agree 78. With another more experienced/talented QB back there we may have gone to the championship. But we had a grossly inexperienced uncoached one and a true freshman. That’s what Mullen had to work with. He worked wonders....10 wins, NY6 bowl game blowout, and that QB throwing for 2500 yards and 24 tds while running for another 7. Most importantly he built a QB’s confidence to the point that his teammates hold him in high regard and had his back...particularly his receivers.
Great perspective, Marine. Glad you're back.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Marine, you also have Pierce as the next Emmitt Smith. Are you thinking Franks is more of a Tom Brady guy or maybe a John Elway type?

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
If Franks continue to improve under Mullen it will be hard for EJ to win the job. The difference in Franks in one year was a pretty big jump I don't see any reason why he can't improve even more for 2019.
I don't have a favorite , give me the guy that gives us the best chance to win.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Don't agree at all. Jones is the guy Mullen brought in, one he obviously thinks fits his system. He's going to give EJ every opportunity. I've NEVER gotten the impression that Franks is "his guy". Not at all.

The only question is, which Jones eventually becomes the chosen one. JJ looks like a bigger, more polished version of EJ. If EJ doesn't take the job away in'19, '20 might prove to be too late. And as far as the stuff about there being no legitimate competition at QB, I'm not buying it. DM is going to go with the player who gives us the best chance to win. He's not stupid, nor is he as stubborn as some of the posters on this board seem to believe. Although I personally don't believe that EJ is physically ready to face the schedule that awaits us '19, he is obviously poised and talented and may in fact beat FF out. I'm a bit skeptical that he will however, and I think his chances are no better than 50/50, at best. JJ, on the other hand, has many of the same attributes possessed by EJ, with a considerably higher level of physicality. Stay tuned.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Marine, you also have Pierce as the next Emmitt Smith. Are you thinking Franks is more of a Tom Brady guy or maybe a John Elway type?
He's already on record as comparing FF to the legendary Joe Kapp. You probably won't see one spiral in this entire clip.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015

Your desire to belittle Gator players never ceases to amaze.

Pierce: He will be a dominate runner for us but he’ll never be better than Emmitt. Right now he’s not even better than Scarlett or Perine. Similar to EJ and FF. He is a special talent though and will earn your respect privately if not publicly. Great kid too by the way.

Franks: Feliepe will likely never be an NFL QB. If he is it will along the lines of a Jeff Driskel. A kid who works hard and perseveres. I’d love to see him in the NFL. You?

You’ve compared these two Gators to three of the best to ever lace them up. Interesting baseline.

You can’t take away what either contributed and accomplished this year. It’s in the books. The past 8 years have wore you down dude. Some have bounced back but your joy has been seemingly sucked out permanently. You may never truly enjoy Gator football again. We will forever be 4-7 in your mind. Let it go. This was a blast and it’s only going to get better.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
The only question is, which Jones eventually becomes the chosen one. JJ looks like a bigger, more polished version of EJ. If EJ doesn't take the job away in'19, '20 might prove to be too late. And as far as the stuff about there being no legitimate competition at QB, I'm not buying it. DM is going to go with the player who gives us the best chance to win. He's not stupid, nor is he as stubborn as some of the posters on this board seem to believe. Although I personally don't believe that EJ is physically ready to face the schedule that awaits us '19, he is obviously poised and talented and may in fact beat FF out. I'm a bit skeptical that he will however, and I think his chances are no better than 50/50, at best. JJ, on the other hand, has many of the same attributes possessed by EJ, with a considerably higher level of physicality. Stay tuned.

I will go record as liking all 3 but predict in the end JJ will have had the best career. I think he’s going to be dominate.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Seems some still have hurt feelings over Franks “shushing” the crowd. Time to move past it and be thankful he used the booing as fuel. I don’t expect 18-20 year old kids to be perfect, and I for one love the attitude and swagger he’s been playing with.

Keep shimmying Franks!

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Some have bounced back but your joy has been seemingly sucked out permanently. You may never truly enjoy Gator football again. We will forever be 4-7 in your mind. Let it go. This was a blast and it’s only going to get better.
You are a stinking clown. I enjoyed every damn minute of this season (except perhaps UK/Missouri :lol:). I've defended Mullen most of this season when he's being bagged on, because I was thrilled with the new attitude of the team.

All I've been saying this entire time, which may sink in if you stopped nutswinging on Franks for two seconds, is that in my opinion, this offense could take another big step forward with a QB that fits the system better. That's it. You obviously have a different opinion. My opinion is that Franks has hit his ceiling. You obviously have a different opinion. My opinion is that we have no chance at a championship with Franks behind center. You obviously have a different opinion and have a fixation on him that is bordering on creepy at this point. Part of me wants to reach out to Franks and warn him to watch his back, or at least close his drapes at night.

Regardless of our opinions, Mullen will make the decision and if it's Franks I'll root for him next year just like I did this year, even when he's taunting his own fans. Don't tell me how to be a Gator fan.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
You are a stinking clown. I enjoyed every damn minute of this season (except perhaps UK/Missouri :lol:). I've defended Mullen most of this season when he's being bagged on, because I was thrilled with the new attitude of the team.

All I've been saying this entire time, which may sink in if you stopped nutswinging on Franks for two seconds, is that in my opinion, this offense could take another big step forward with a QB that fits the system better. That's it. You obviously have a different opinion. My opinion is that Franks has hit his ceiling. You obviously have a different opinion. My opinion is that we have no chance at a championship with Franks behind center. You obviously have a different opinion and have a fixation on him that is bordering on creepy at this point. Part of me wants to reach out to Franks and warn him to watch his back, or at least close his drapes at night.

Regardless of our opinions, Mullen will make the decision and if it's Franks I'll root for him next year just like I did this year, even when he's taunting his own fans. Don't tell me how to be a Gator fan.

Nobody had told you how to be a Gator fan. Just pointed out the type of fan you are at most. Get over yourself. You push the envelope to get responses. I gave them to you in a fair, reasoned and balanced manner. That didn’t sit well with you apparently. Clown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator