Recruiting 2019 recruiting still Butterslike, #17 class

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I

Who says he isn't? Just not as fast as we want him too. Our facilities still are a work in progress. We got in late in a few commits. Seems like thats not the case for 20 and on. Rebuild is all encompassing. Did you here the quote from one od the recruits mothers last week? About how after visiting the last staff she crossed us off the list and wanted no part of us but was gushing about the new staff and environment?

I have no idea why guys from the 18 class wanted to play for butters. Why guys like Schwartz or divad Wilson were lining up until he was fired I dont know. If he could get his recruiting sorted at some point then I'm sure mullen and crew will as well.

And Everyone bends the rules but I don't for a second think Florida has the same systemic support to illegally recruit athletes the way the bamas, Georgia's and aTms do.

Again, a premier recruiter can recruit. These are excuses. Let me ask you this, if our class is still 17 after NSD, what will be your statement at that point?

Malaka

Sep 6, 2018
Again, a premier recruiter can recruit. These are excuses. Let me ask you this, if our class is still 17 after NSD, what will be your statement at that point?

I'd be disappointed and would again realize that we have a good CEO and play calling head coach who knows and accepts the expectations st the university of Florida. I would again hope that with a 2nd year successful season we would continue to build our name brand back and become more attractive to top recruits. I would also realize that incessantly complaining does NOTHING towards changing the situation and will continue to take objective assessments of progress throughout his tenure knowing that one surefire way to continue into irrelevance would be to go through yet another coaching change and lost year of recruiting while the elites keep hoarding talent through Wtvr means necessary

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Yup. I'm loving the amount of attention were getting from offensive linemen. We really need 2, maybe 3 more DT types...Balance is essential as recent history has taught us....one moron didn't recruit offensive players and the next mostly ignored the defense. Still though a marquee type guy(5 star) can have a HUGE impact not only on the field but can really bolster recruiting for several years...
I believe you recruit to your needs and make allowances for any high four or five star you can get no matter the position. You definitely have to have depth at all positions.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I sincerely ask this because I really dont know. I am not one of those people that will not budge from my opinions in a discussion when someone shows me something that makes a lot of sense that I didn't understand. I self proclaim that I do not understand how the recruiting rankings work all the way from how a team gets ranks to how players get ranked.

So what I am getting hung up on and pushing back from, is people that continue to proclaim top 10 class or bust when I sit here and compare our class to Texas class. I look at our class vs ND class. I look at our class to FSU class. I look at our class to Tenn class. All I see that is different with respect to stars is a bunch of rounding up of decimals and it makes me disagree that getting in the top 10 really matters. While there is a huge difference between our classes and the ones above Texas, I just see it as splitting hairs somewhere around Texas and below.

UF 12 4* ... 9 3*
Tex 14 4* ... 8 3*
ND 13 4* ... 8 3*
FSU 1 5* (not signed) ... 10 4* ... 8 3*
Tenn 10 4* ... 10 3*

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'd be disappointed and would again realize that we have a good CEO and play calling head coach who knows and accepts the expectations st the university of Florida. I would again hope that with a 2nd year successful season we would continue to build our name brand back and become more attractive to top recruits. I would also realize that incessantly complaining does NOTHING towards changing the situation and will continue to take objective assessments of progress throughout his tenure knowing that one surefire way to continue into irrelevance would be to go through yet another coaching change and lost year of recruiting while the elites keep hoarding talent through Wtvr means necessary

so excuses... This wasn't the first class, this was the bump class. Hopefully by NSD that ranking gets better... but at UF the class should average in the single digits. All the statements you are making would have applied to last years class.

Malaka

Sep 6, 2018
so excuses... This wasn't the first class, this was the bump class. Hopefully by NSD that ranking gets better... but at UF the class should average in the single digits. All the statements you are making would have applied to last years class.

You're a broken record. You say I make excuses. You make excuses to piss and moan about something you have no control over. Were you this miserable about our season?

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
I think this article explains exactly how I feel about this recruiting cycle so far:

"The Gator Standard that Mullen so often cites was set by Urban Meyer, someone with whom he’s intimately familiar. Every single one of Meyer’s recruiting classes (12th, 2nd, 1st, 5th, 7th and 1st) will likely end up with a higher national ranking than the Gators 2019 class. None of Meyer’s classes was ever worse than 4th in the SEC, and they were first four times.

That is the blueprint for winning championships in the SEC. Urban Meyer followed it at Florida. Nick Saban appears to have perfected it at Alabama. Kirby Smart is trying to replicate it at Georgia.

To this point, Mullen has been unable to follow that blueprint."

Florida Recruiting: Grading the Gators’ recruiting class after the early signing period - Read and Reaction

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I sincerely ask this because I really dont know. I am not one of those people that will not budge from my opinions in a discussion when someone shows me something that makes a lot of sense that I didn't understand. I self proclaim that I do not understand how the recruiting rankings work all the way from how a team gets ranks to how players get ranked.

So what I am getting hung up on and pushing back from, is people that continue to proclaim top 10 class or bust when I sit here and compare our class to Texas class. I look at our class vs ND class. I look at our class to FSU class. I look at our class to Tenn class. All I see that is different with respect to stars is a bunch of rounding up of decimals and it makes me disagree that getting in the top 10 really matters. While there is a huge difference between our classes and the ones above Texas, I just see it as splitting hairs somewhere around Texas and below.

UF 12 4* ... 9 3*
Tex 14 4* ... 8 3*
ND 13 4* ... 8 3*
FSU 1 5* (not signed) ... 10 4* ... 8 3*
Tenn 10 4* ... 10 3*
And in all reality those classes are basically the same and ours could be changed out with any of them. So far I like the make up of our class with the exception of DT numbers...

What this class needs though is a 5 star guy to shine some light on it....As I said in an earlier thread the effect of getting 5 stars goes beyond the field and directly effects recruiting because their presence attracts interest from other high caliber recruits....snowball effect and wah lah welcome to the Top 10 in rankings.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You're a broken record. You say I make excuses. You make excuses to piss and moan about something you have no control over. Were you this miserable about our season?

Malaka, here is your problem, you read only the positive, and pretend reality isn't there. You are making excuses that were fine for last years class, but not the bump class. You are having a hard time defining your position, because you know that. I have stated this before Mullen might be the second best Xs and Ox coach in the SEC, but that is just part of the job. You can only out scheme so much before talent is the deciding factor. Mullen's class last year was 17th, which was a good transition class. He has had a year for his staff to make relationships and recruit. We are in a multi-year rebuild, he needs to be playing for Championships in year 3, do you see that happening with a 17th ranked class?

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
"The Gator Standard that Mullen so often cites was set by Urban Meyer, someone with whom he’s intimately familiar. Every single one of Meyer’s recruiting classes (12th, 2nd, 1st, 5th, 7th and 1st) will likely end up with a higher national ranking than the Gators 2019 class. None of Meyer’s classes was ever worse than 4th in the SEC, and they were first four times.

That is the blueprint for winning championships in the SEC. Urban Meyer followed it at Florida. Nick Saban appears to have perfected it at Alabama. Kirby Smart is trying to replicate it at Georgia.

To this point, Mullen has been unable to follow that blueprint."

Florida Recruiting: Grading the Gators’ recruiting class after the early signing period - Read and Reaction

:lmao:

"To this point" equates to 388 days on the job, picking up after the consecutive train wrecks that were the Chimp and McElstain coaching disasters. OF COURSE Mullen has been unable to follow Meyer's blueprint. Meyer himself couldn't follow that blueprint had he stepped into Mullen's shoes.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
We have overcome some large hurdles this year, I'm proud and hopeful. It's funny though, to help us put some icing on this year's cake and turn our current average recruiting class into a diamond in February this next hurdle has become large and important. We need to BEAT THE HELL OUT OF MICHIGAN!

Last edited:

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018

Tell me more about all these magical "recruiters" available to come on short notice last year to the broken-azz University of Florida football program. And Mullen obviously had an un-resolvable issue with Seider regarding either ability or ethics so I'll give you dumpers that one..

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Hmmm ... then don't answer a question with a question and tell me not to answer with a question. Lol. Ok?

Sounds like you do know what I am asking you but then pivot to Top 100 instead of sticking with stars.

yeah ... whatevers. For you ... stars dont matter then.

I have no clue what the hell you are talking about.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Tell me more about all these magical "recruiters" available to come on short notice last year to the broken-azz University of Florida football program. And Mullen obviously had an un-resolvable issue with Seider regarding either ability or ethics so I'll give you dumpers that one..

yes, because recruiters are magically, which is why Bama has so many they can load up even their analyst positions with them. Being they rank the best recruiters in the nation every year... where do you think they are? The broken comment, just show how little you think of the organization.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I sincerely ask this because I really dont know.
The amswer is that the formula used does not just look at 3* and 4*, it looks at at least three gradations of 3* players. Ie a high 3 star (near four star) player is worth more than a low 3* player. You see some of this expressed in Rivals 5.4, 5.5, 5.6, 5.7,5.8, 5.9, 6.0, 6.1 ratings.

It also rates certain positions as more important, ie a 4* QB is more important than a 4* TE which is more important tha n a FB.

247 uses a similar system.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Obvious. Nor does it seem you understand why you think stars matter beyond the decimal. Enlighten me, please. You just facepalmed me asking it on another thread so you obviously know the answers.

neteng, I would say the difference between a 5.6/5.2 is negligible being usually there are only 30 5*, so the difference between 5.6 (13/14 best player in the nation) to the 5.2 (26/27 best player) not that big. Between 4.6/4.2 (roughly 320 players if I'm remember my math right) so a 4.6 (approximately 150th best player) and a 4.2 (approximately 280th best player). The difference between the 3.6/3.2 (roughly 1000 players) is even deeper since the pool of kids that are 3* is greater.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
The amswer is that the formula used does not just look at 3* and 4*, it looks at at least three gradations of 3* players. Ie a high 3 star (near four star) player is worth more than a low 3* player. You see some of this expressed in Rivals 5.4, 5.5, 5.6, 5.7,5.8, 5.9, 6.0, 6.1 ratings.

It also rates certain positions as more important, ie a 4* QB is more important than a 4* TE which is more important tha n a FB.

247 uses a similar system.

Ok. So when you have a position that needs to be filled, say like OL, do those 4 stars get counted as high as a 4 star QB?

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
neteng, I would say the difference between a 5.6/5.2 is negligible being usually there are only 30 5*, so the difference between 5.6 (13/14 best player in the nation) to the 5.2 (26/27 best player) not that big. Between 4.6/4.2 (roughly 320 players if I'm remember my math right) so a 4.6 (approximately 150th best player) and a 4.2 (approximately 280th best player). The difference between the 3.6/3.2 (roughly 1000 players) is even deeper since the pool of kids that are 3* is greater.

Exactly. But what I am asking ... how does one get a higher decimal than another player in the same star bracket. Is it position based as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.