Recruiting 2020 Recruiting Thread: Gervon Dexter gets 5th Star on Rivals

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Yeah, I think we'll be in the transfer market for sure (either a grad or regular transfer...or even a JUCO). I'm not sure which "LB" could grow (Pierre maybe?), but if one of them gets to 265+ they'll likely be moved to SDE. I also suspect we could see Dante Lang move over from TE.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Is it at all possible that Mullen’s strategy is to take transfers that have more or less panned out and looking to step up? I always just assumed that he was a crappy recruiter, but could he just be thinking that rather than reach on a Dorlus, he’ll just pick up a transfer?

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Is it at all possible that Mullen’s strategy is to take transfers that have more or less panned out and looking to step up? I always just assumed that he was a crappy recruiter, but could he just be thinking that rather than reach on a Dorlus, he’ll just pick up a transfer?

That seems like a risky strategy. I’d rather see us develop talent than hope some arrives at the last minute.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Why would a 3* get a like? It's a disappointment in my book.

We've got four of them in the class already. We all full up.

Bishop Gorman is a football factory. I haven’t seen tape on the kid, but if the staff likes him, I trust their evaluation process. Billy G is a great receivers coach. Go get the kid if he fits the system. Granted it was under the old staff, but I seem to remember Callaway being a 3 star and he was more dynamic than a lot of guys that were supposed to be 4 or 5 star difference makers.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Bishop Gorman is a football factory. I haven’t seen tape on the kid, but if the staff likes him, I trust their evaluation process. Billy G is a great receivers coach. Go get the kid if he fits the system. Granted it was under the old staff, but I seem to remember Callaway being a 3 star and he was more dynamic than a lot of guys that were supposed to be 4 or 5 star difference makers.
Still would rather start with 4* talent. Odds are better with top 250 talent than with sub 500 talent.
We're never gonna get where we want to be until we load up on top 100 and top 250 talent.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Here's the deal. The new standard for UF. I don't want to even hear about sub 250 recruits. Georgia and 'bama took 2 and 5 last year respectively. And they've been doing that for years. We've got 6 already and the class ain't half full. We're never gonna catch up taking scrubs even of the 4* variety because our competition in the SEC is taking the top shelf recruits. It's time to start getting quality.
Go big or go home.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Callaway was a dang good 3 star!

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ok, I stand corrected. Callaway was a 4 star. I was wrong. :grin: A guy like Quincy Wilson would have been a better comparison. My point in this situation was that if we’re gonna take a kid that’s a 3 star, I feel better about him coming out of a strong high school program. Obviously, we should be taking the blue chippers if they want in.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ok, I stand corrected. Callaway was a 4 star. I was wrong. :grin: A guy like Quincy Wilson would have been a better comparison. My point in this situation was that if we’re gonna take a kid that’s a 3 star, I feel better about him coming out of a strong high school program. Obviously, we should be taking the blue chippers if they want in.

Huh? Quincy was a 4* and one of the top CBs in the nation.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Either way making these comparisons are weak arguments. For every 3-star that turned out to be a star we can name 3, 4, or more that were busts (McWilliams, Lemons, Ancrum,etc). TM has a point that we're dipping down the board for some of these commits (even AR is barely inside the top 500). We're not going to overcome a talent gap by take #350 at a certain position while our opponents are taking #85 at the same position. The "trust the coaches" mantra is worn out.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I think we will always be setting for 3-4* recruits at the WR position. In my opinion, the offense we run isn't one that is going to attract the top WRs. I think we should be cleaning up all the top rated 'athletes' and HBs though; that is who we can really sell our product to. I think we will be fine too, as long as we recruit the top OL and have a highly rated DT QB signed each year.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I think we will always be setting for 3-4* recruits at the WR position. In my opinion, the offense we run isn't one that is going to attract the top WRs. I think we should be cleaning up all the top rated 'athletes' and HBs though; that is who we can really sell our product to. I think we will be fine too, as long as we recruit the top OL and have a highly rated DT QB signed each year.

Agree on the WR discussion....and on the OL/DL, which is a problem right now. We still have plenty of time, but only signing two heavy DL's in the last two classes is piss poor recruiting (and now one of those two is transferring). You ain't winning championships that way. It needs to be addressed (and I'm sure they're trying to figure it out...but at this point you have to call it what it is).

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

LULZ...

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Either way making these comparisons are weak arguments. For every 3-star that turned out to be a star we can name 3, 4, or more that were busts (McWilliams, Lemons, Ancrum,etc). TM has a point that we're dipping down the board for some of these commits (even AR is barely inside the top 500). We're not going to overcome a talent gap by take #350 at a certain position while our opponents are taking #85 at the same position. The "trust the coaches" mantra is worn out.
The only reason lemmons was a 3 star is because he was kicked out of school and didn't play his senior year. He was one the the rb's in the state before then. I wouldn't really count him as a 3 star. Ancrum, I believe was a 2 star and he's pretty much overachieved. He's done way more than I thought he would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator