Recruiting 2020 Recruiting Thread: Gervon Dexter gets 5th Star on Rivals

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The only reason lemmons was a 3 star is because he was kicked out of school and didn't play his senior year. He was one the the rb's in the state before then. I wouldn't really count him as a 3 star. Ancrum, I believe was a 2 star and he's pretty much overachieved. He's done way more than I thought he would.

T, honestly...whatever, that wasn't the point.

The point is - anytime a pumper sees a 3-star they point out a 3-star who turned into a superstar, and we all know we can point out 3 or more that didn't turn into a superstar. Just like any white 2-star DE is compared to JJ Watt, a big, white dual-threat QB is the next Tebow, a smaller, elusive WR is the next Percy, a small, 5'7-ish RB is the next Brandon James, etc. These are the excuses the jhbyrd types would use to justify terrible recruiting. If we're landing an OL ranked 450th and UGA is landing an OL ranked 12th, I'm going to go ahead and guess the 12th ranked kid will end up being the better college football player. Sure, 1 out of 30 times I could be wrong. We're trying to close the talent gap so taking a 300th ranked kid for their 80th ranked kid extends the talent gap. But this is where you'll hear "trust the coaches"...."the coaches know more than we do...", etc.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
This post might be one the best examples of why rivals beats 247. First, 347 had an NFL CB listed as a safety. Then, they had him a 3star ranked 369.

Here is Rivals, which also has him rated too low, but solidly in the 4 star group (and at the right position) - Quincy Wilson, 2014 Cornerback - Rivals.com

It is worse actually. That ranking is 247 composite. 247’s ranking?

Quincy Wilson
National - 724
Safety - 63
State - 105

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
shyt service = shyt data

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

The point is - anytime a pumper sees a 3-star they point out a 3-star who turned into a superstar, and we all know we can point out 3 or more that didn't turn into a superstar. Just like any white 2-star DE is compared to JJ Watt, a big, white dual-threat QB is the next Tebow, a smaller, elusive WR is the next Percy, a small, 5'7-ish RB is the next Brandon James, etc. These are the excuses the jhbyrd types would use to justify terrible recruiting. If we're landing an OL ranked 450th and UGA is landing an OL ranked 12th, I'm going to go ahead and guess the 12th ranked kid will end up being the better college football player. Sure, 1 out of 30 times I could be wrong. We're trying to close the talent gap so taking a 300th ranked kid for their 80th ranked kid extends the talent gap. But this is where you'll hear "trust the coaches"...."the coaches know more than we do...", etc.
I knew the point you were trying to make. I was just being a dick . I'm bored.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Speaking of ratings, I saw that the No. 2 DT in the country is officially visiting, but the article is premium and I couldn’t read more. We need difference makers at that position more than any other.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018

Not that this will make you feel better but... at worst, you could make the argument that the talent gap is being maintained. Georgia has been recruiting top talent for 3+ years, if not longer. The talent left behind by Butters was a mixed bag but had way too many players FIU would normally get. Mullen has changed the standard from non-power 5 to low end 4-star. Guess you could say the talent gap has been lessened but the new standard will maintain that new, smaller gap.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Speaking of ratings, I saw that the No. 2 DT in the country is officially visiting, but the article is premium and I couldn’t read more. We need difference makers at that position more than any other.

2020?
No 2 according to who?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Not that this will make you feel better but... at worst, you could make the argument that the talent gap is being maintained. Georgia has been recruiting top talent for 3+ years, if not longer. The talent left behind by Butters was a mixed bag but had way too many players FIU would normally get. Mullen has changed the standard from non-power 5 to low end 4-star. Guess you could say the talent gap has been lessened but the new standard will maintain that new, smaller gap.

I tend to agree. He's only taken a few FIU types (Whittemore, Weston, McDowell) and has upgraded quite a bit....and has done outstanding w/ transfers - 5 transfers who are all essentially starters. He just needs to keep plugging away and getting as many "blue-chippers" as possible, even if they're ranked 330th (vs. 100th for our rival).

GatorMan5K

Gatorologist
Lifetime Member
Oct 9, 2014
At this point do the stars matter that much? Ok settle down and breath. Hear me out.
Aren't tye stars at this point a lot like way too early top 25 polls? They still have their sr season to play. Some 4 stats will become 5. Some bwcome 3. Just as some 3's move up to 4. I mean at what point do we trust our scouts?

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
If you were naming your children after the most important aspects of college football success, their names should be 5 star and high 4 star. I don't know why we even debate whether stars matter or not anymore?

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If you were naming your children after the most important aspects of college football success, their names should be 5 star and high 4 star. I don't know why we even debate whether stars matter or not anymore?

Because of the outliers that people love to point out. The 3* studs and the 5* busts. On an individual basis stars mean little but when judging the class you better have a high star average or your team isn’t going to compete for championships...that’s not debatable

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Im not saying they dont matter. Im just saying they mean very little before their sr season.

While there will be some shifting among the best players, do you really think the best 500 football players (out of the million or so HS football players source - U.S. boys/girls high school football participation 2009-2018 | Statistic) aren’t already regular contributors with tons of tape and scouting by this point. The blue chips are nearly all identified by the end of their junior year.

Most guys aren’t Kyle Trask. And, every once in a while a senior year catapults someone who otherwise didn’t previously earn a five star, ie Antonneous Clayton.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
At this point do the stars matter that much? Ok settle down and breath. Hear me out.
Aren't tye stars at this point a lot like way too early top 25 polls? They still have their sr season to play. Some 4 stats will become 5. Some bwcome 3. Just as some 3's move up to 4. I mean at what point do we trust our scouts?
Geez. Next you will try to tell us that how they perform on the field is as important as how well they do the cone drill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.