Recruiting 2020 Recruiting Thread: Gervon Dexter gets 5th Star on Rivals

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadowGator

The Chuckler
Sep 16, 2016
So much has changed with the early signing day. 2 months away. Mock classes just a few years back this time of year meant jack cause so much changed between Oct and Feb. Now we’re nearing the finish line for our first signing day. A fresh mock is more meaningful if anyone would care to share their thoughts. Would be appreciated.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
We'll find out what they're made of this year. Orgeron hired a good OC, he seems to be letting him run the show. They recruit about as well as anyone not named Alabama (and UGA). So they have the talent. They have a very good DC. If they lay an egg against us, Alabama, or Auburn it'll be the same old story. If they win the West? Well, that will say a lot. They lose Burrow after this year, so can they sustain the success on the field? They are bringing in a heck of a class this year, especially along the DL. We'll know more in less than 48 hours.

Totally agree and would add that we're about to find out what these Gators are made of as well. There are some concerns about the roster that can only be addressed by bringing in more and better talent than we currently have - in several key areas. I'll leave that dead horse for another day. The biggest unknown for me in the here and now is; whether this is a situation in which the sum of this team's courage and tenacity in the face of adversity exceeds the total of its parts. This Gator team's got guts, LSU is probably more talented. We will find out plenty about who is actually the better team Saturday night..

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Yep, seems they've been stuck in the 80's offensively for years. Not necessarily '3 yards and a cloud of dust', but just a ball control, pro-style, i-formation, type that's designed to score no more than 30 points vs. good teams and control the clock....and rely on the defense to win the game. Even when Miles won the NC their offenses were the same, they just had an NFL defense.
Don’t get @Concrete Helmet excited. It’s like you’re whispering sweet nothings to him.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
No one cares about him go 4-0 vs four cupcakes (two 1 AA teams) he played every year.

I'm still avoiding doing work at my day job and this line doesn't feel right...so, tl;dr:

Out of Conference Games (FCS teams in bold)
MissSt
2009 (5-7) WINS=JacksonSt,MiddleTN LOSSES=GT, HOU
2010 (9-4) WINS=Memphis,AlcornSt,UAB,HOU, MICH (Bowl Game) LOSSES=
2011 (7-6) WINS=Memphis,LaTech,UAB,UTMartin, WakeForest (Bowl) LOSSES =
2012 (8-5) WINS=JacksonSt,Troy,SoAla,MIddleTN LOSSES=NW (Bowl)
2013 (7-6) WINS=AlcornSt,Troy,BowlingGrn, Rice (Bowl) LOSSES=OU
2014 (10-3) WINS=SoMiss,UAB,SoAla,UTMartin LOSSES=GT (Bowl)
2015 (9-4) WINS=SoMiss,NWSt,Troy,LaTech,NCST (Bowl) LOSSES=
2016 (6-7) WINS=UMass,Samford,MiaOH (Bowl) LOSSES=SoAla,BYU
2017 (9-4) WINS=CharSo,LaTech,BYU,UMass, LOU (Bowl) LOSSES=

Fla
2018 (10-3) WINS=CharSo,CSU,Idaho,F$U,MICH (Bowl) LOSSES=
2019 (6-0) WINS=MIA,UTMartin,Towson,F$U LOSSES=

Current HBC record of 85-49 (66% wins)
Takeaway his FCS games he drops to 77-49 (61% wins)

You can try to takeaway some 'cupcake' wins, but you also should acknowledge some OOC wins over P5 teams, particularly the bowl games.

Do I have a point? Only that I'm good at wasting time.

For comparison I may look up how Spurrier did (Duke+UF+USCe) and/or Meyer (BG+UT+UF+tOSU). But it's time to head home...maybe while I'm at work next week.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
While I generally agree with your recruiting sentiment, I'm not that convinced about LSU. They are steamrolling folks this year, but their level of competition has been pretty inferior. That this game is in BR makes me give them the edge, but a Gator win would not surprise me at all. The theory I have subscribed to for awhile is that great recruiting does not mean competing for championships, but you can't compete for championships without great recruiting. Schools like LSU, A&M, FSU, and Michigan have had great classes over the last few years and other than FSU, none of them have made a conference championship game in a while, let alone get a sniff at the playoffs. We've also seen many teams overachieve their recruiting, though they too don't really compete for championships (despite what some folks at a certain school in Orlando seem to think).

We beat LSU last year so there’s that.
Obviously there are other considerations. FcvkSU has considerably more talent but horrendous coaching.
Likewise UT is on par with us but bad coaching.
And of course we lost to Mizzoo last year and they have considerably less talent.
It’s a 3-legged stool: Talent, coaching and “Want To”.
So for LSU we have to have a better game plan and a lot of desire.
Georgia and Alabama are in a whole other level talent wise. Yeah once in awhile we might beat them but we have to overcome a self-inflicted deficit.
Bottom line is that we recruit at a 10 win level. Middle teens. It has to get better.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
We beat LSU last year so there’s that.
Obviously there are other considerations. FcvkSU has considerably more talent but horrendous coaching.
Likewise UT is on par with us but bad coaching.
And of course we lost to Mizzoo last year and they have considerably less talent.
It’s a 3-legged stool: Talent, coaching and “Want To”.
So for LSU we have to have a better game plan and a lot of desire.
Georgia and Alabama are in a whole other level talent wise. Yeah once in awhile we might beat them but we have to overcome a self-inflicted deficit.
Bottom line is that we recruit at a 10 win level. Middle teens. It has to get better.
You saying that a team ranked about 15rh normally wins 10 games?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We don't got who we don't got because they didn't want to be Gators ... they wanted to be other than us.
Unless our present recruiters are turning the best sour on the University of Florida what needs changing - how much longer 'til UF has what it takes again to attract? How are those other schools better presenting themselves. If they all have a string of recent seasons of greater wins, then what we lack is the string of winning seasons.

Even one "most admirable" win, like Auburn might catch a better recruit or two. A win over LSU would help, I bet.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Absolutely.
Well, you are correct but barely. Last year Syracuse was ranked 15th and did have 10 wins as a member of the ACC. Is the ACC a power 5 league? No P5 team below 15th had as many as 10 wins. In the toughest conference in CFB, we are playing considerably above where we are recruiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.