Gator Baseball 2021 Gators Baseball Season

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Sully will be gone just like MW and DM here in a few years. Top 3 sports with openings. Can't just come to UF and win 9-11 games in football, get to the NCAA Tourney, and/or get to the CWS every year. Have to bring in top recruits and win Nattys while destroying the competition like SOS, Billy D, and UM. THAT is the Gator Standard and we can't accept any less as we are ENTITLED to be the very best.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
In the words of the great Morris Buttermaker from the Bad News Bears, these guys swing like Helen Keller at a piñata party.

You know I don;t recall that line by Walter Matthau as ButterCrud (as Tanner so politely called him) in the ORIGINAL Bad News Bears. If perhaps this occurred in the "remake" I will have to plead stupidity as I refuse to watch remakes.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Sully will be gone just like MW and DM here in a few years. Top 3 sports with openings. Can't just come to UF and win 9-11 games in football, get to the NCAA Tourney, and/or get to the CWS every year. Have to bring in top recruits and win Nattys while destroying the competition like SOS, Billy D, and UM. THAT is the Gator Standard and we can't accept any less as we are ENTITLED to be the very best.

Given that Sully is the only Gator HC to win a baseball title, your analogy fails. It’s like saying they’d fire SOS for not living up to the SOS standard.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Go be a mediocre fan so where else if you don't like the standard. I'd remind you that this team was the consensus no.1 pick before the season started and to say they underachieved is putting it kindly. We should at the very least finished top 3 in the SEC and had a 1st round bye. Instead we have to pound our way through the bracket. I got news for you, in big boy land that falls on the HBC. Lets see if he is smart enough to pitch arms that haven't had alot of work first round and rest Jack, Tommy, Franco, and some of the arms we will need for the real tourney.

I don't expect to win a natty every year and this frankly is a tired argument and red herring by the wine and cheese fan base of UF. Sitting on the berm and playing with the kids while a ball game is being played somewhere instead of the seats being packed with students and the entire fan base loud as fk and giving the opponents an ear full the entire time...kinda like what you see with Arkansas, UT and some others. We've become the UVA of the SEC with our fan support and expectations.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You know I don;t recall that line by Walter Matthau as ButterCrud (as Tanner so politely called him) in the ORIGINAL Bad News Bears. If perhaps this occurred in the "remake" I will have to plead stupidity as I refuse to watch remakes.
It was in the remake, and as remakes go it’s not too bad.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
@Spurdog98 you miss what I am saying. I am saying that our standard is MUCH higher than what we are seeing. Sully with almost 600 wins at UF, 7 CWS berths, 1 NC, and 8 SEC titles and he should have at least one more NC. Probably half of those wins we were probably lucky to win so he actually only has 300 wins and over 500 losses so he is not a very good coach at all with a losing record here at UF according to most of us here. Most wins feel like losses with Sully at the helm, just read the threads just like with MW and DM. Sully has taken our program to heights never seen before but that is certainly not enough. With the talent that he brings in, he has to do more and win more so he has to go. Mullen turned the football program around but that is not enough. He has to win 12 or more games a year and it just isn't going to happen. MW followed a legend but can't coach a lick and every year is predictable with an NCAA berth but not much after that. As fans we demand much more excellence and NCs, we are ENTITLED to it at the University of FL.

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
@Spurdog98 you miss what I am saying. I am saying that our standard is MUCH higher than what we are seeing. Sully with almost 600 wins at UF, 7 CWS berths, 1 NC, and 8 SEC titles and he should have at least one more NC. Probably half of those wins we were probably lucky to win so he actually only has 300 wins and over 500 losses so he is not a very good coach at all with a losing record here at UF according to most of us here. Most wins feel like losses with Sully at the helm, just read the threads just like with MW and DM. Sully has taken our program to heights never seen before but that is certainly not enough. With the talent that he brings in, he has to do more and win more so he has to go. Mullen turned the football program around but that is not enough. He has to win 12 or more games a year and it just isn't going to happen. MW followed a legend but can't coach a lick and every year is predictable with an NCAA berth but not much after that. As fans we demand much more excellence and NCs, we are ENTITLED to it at the University of FL.

First of all, this season has been really disappointing thus far.

But, there are 8 teams that go to the CWS which means PAR is winning it once every 8 times you go... You bring up him being there 7 times and only winning once like that is some horrible stat.

I know we are all about firing Sully right now but I think it's way too soon to be talking about that...

Our program is still considered the top 1 or 2 right now (Vandy probably the other) and that is due to Sullivan.

Can one of our resident baseball experts post all coaches they think has a better resume than Sully's? I bet there aren't more than 2 or 3. So if we are firing him, it needs to be with the assurance that we get one of these 2 or 3 coaches.

I'm not saying it's impossible to fire him I just think it's really early considering there have only been 2 seasons (soon to be 3, I know) that have gone by without us winning a National Championship.

At the end of this year, we will still have won 1 National Championship and 2 SEC championships in 4 seasons. Who is going to want to work here when they think that's unacceptable?

Last edited:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Can one of our resident baseball experts post all coaches they think has a better resume than Sully's? That guy at Tampa, who's a Tampa alum, done fantastic, but no one that names him could tell you why someone else hasn't hired him already.

At the end of this year, we will still have won 1 National Championship and 2 SEC championships in 4 seasons. Who is going to want to work here when they think that's unacceptable? Nobody that could actually do better, only big check collectors.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
EXACTLY Sporks! :clap::clap::clap: We HATE all of the coaches and are quick to get rid of them with every single loss. We dismiss every win and each loss is magnified cause we should win every game in dominant fashion but that is par for the course.

Towels 'N Sporks

May 19, 2016
EXACTLY Sporks! :clap::clap::clap: We HATE all of the coaches and are quick to get rid of them with every single loss. We dismiss every win and each loss is magnified cause we should win every game in dominant fashion but that is par for the course.

Ah I guess the sarcasm was lost on me. That being said, I do hate Mike White and Dan Mullen and can't wait to see them gone. Although I'm not holding up much hope that football is ever going to make it back.

ExecutiveGator

Paragraphs are great tools. Use them.
Lifetime Member
Dec 5, 2014
On the flip side, keeping really good but not great coaches is the same as dating the hottest chick at school, constantly working to get her undressed, only to find out she’s the biggest prude and never going to go there with you. Sure, she’s hot, but if it isn’t going to happen.... I mean, what’s the point? She isn’t the only one sitting on one of them, so why not look for the next hot chick and start again?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Guscette got hurt and has not played in months. Guess Hickey only throwing out 2 of 40+ base stealers this year finally took its toll on Sully, not to mention Hickey struggles with simply catching a called strike. Also saw that Mace is starting so clearly Sully thinks team must win a game or two to be assured a region host. Just a disappointing regular season all the way around from the quality of play (lack thereof) to the actual finish.

Towels 'N Sporks

May 19, 2016
Guscette got hurt and has not played in months. Guess Hickey only throwing out 2 of 40+ base stealers this year finally took its toll on Sully, not to mention Hickey struggles with simply catching a called strike. Also saw that Mace is starting so clearly Sully thinks team must win a game or two to be assured a region host. Just a disappointing regular season all the way around from the quality of play (lack thereof) to the actual finish.

Yeah Hickey at catcher is just bad all around, I think it's more than just his noodle arm. For the one game I attended this year, I was sitting in row 1 about 10 feet to the left of our dugout in game 2 of the Georgia series. Hickey let a ball get by him with a man on 3rd (it was either the first or 2nd inning), but the ball didn't go far, and if he hustled, he definitely could have made a play at home plate to throw the guy out. Instead, Hickey casually jogged to go get it and just looked frustrated and didn't even make a play. You could hear all of the guys in our dugout questioning in disbelief why he didn't even try to run over and make a play. One of our players (or coaches) even yelled at Hickey, "What happened!?"

We ended up winning that game handily so it didn't matter. But it was quite revealing that the entire team was having a "wtf" moment due to Hickey's apathy.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gators first hitter, first pitch, hits it a mile out of the park - bad baseball on Sully's part to let this guy hit a home run on the very first pitch of the game and not work the count to get on the base and manufacture a run. Next few hitters, walk, fly out, walk, fly out, RBI single with 2 outs- there is the manufactured run that we moan about. Fly out to deep right field gap to end the inning. Gators up 2-0 but feels like a loss and early exit from SECT?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Like I said.....showcase ball. One trick pony, if that ain't on that day, you lose!

First, baseball is the sport where the best team gets upset a lot more than other sports. One dominant pitcher can determine everything.
I do protest this absence of "small ball" and daring attacks. Make your opponent screw up, falter.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
VERY interesting commentary by the announcers during this game when they said that UF has been to the CWS 7 out of the last 10 times and that Sully has certainly taken the UF baseball program to heights never seen before. BUT they also commented that there have been grumblings by fans that Sully just simply hasn't won enough and that he should have won at least 2 more CWS titles with all the talent he brings in. Announcers went on to say that the Gators need a strong showing in the SECT and Regionals or else it may be time to re-evaluate Sully at UF. So even the announcers have taken notice at when is being said about Sully here in this very thread. VERY interesting to hear these announcers talk about the state of the UF baseball program.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
VERY interesting commentary by the announcers during this game when they said that UF has been to the CWS 7 out of the last 10 times and that Sully has certainly taken the UF baseball program to heights never seen before. BUT they also commented that there have been grumblings by fans that Sully just simply hasn't won enough and that he should have won at least 2 more CWS titles with all the talent he brings in. Announcers went on to say that the Gators need a strong showing in the SECT and Regionals or else it may be time to re-evaluate Sully at UF. So even the announcers have taken notice at when is being said about Sully here in this very thread. VERY interesting to hear these announcers talk about the state of the UF baseball program.
Yeah, they should since they are the same one's that had us as a consensus No. 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator